Could You Spare Some Good Thoughts For My Boy

Is it just me, or does the refusal to dispense or even just prescribe necessary medication seem unethical? :angry: Anybody know of a vet accreditation group or something that one could inquire about this?

Mary

I didn't mean to make it sound in my post that the vets here will not give medications when needed, they just will not write you a prescription for it so that you can look for it somewhere else cheaper. Their more than happy to dispense medicine at their overly inflated prices. The story I always get is that they do not trust the quality of some of the drugs gotten over the internet.

And they may very well have a point about the meds ordered online. More and more vets are price matching. And even with price matching, they're making a profit. So, how's the handsome boy today?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Judy. Baytril is expensive but usually acts pretty quickly. Now for the rest....I wish they would hury up!! Keeping nadir in my prayers

Well we've had a rough couple of days. As I mentioned earlier I had to bring him in for SQ fluids. I did this on Tuesday & Wednesday. Wednesday night I not only had to take him out at 12:45, I woke up to him peeing on the floor at 2:30. I also came home from work on Thursday to find copious amounts of urine not only on his pee pad I lay on the floor for his accidents but also in another area. I'm hoping though that this is because of all the extra fluids he got. That wasn't the only problem that they caused, when his swelling from all the fluid finally went down I noticed after I got home from work Friday that his entire belly was fire engine red. It was so irritated and painful he was actually shivering from the pain :cry1 . I remember Amber writing about this happening to Soul and using Bag Balm on him, so I ran up to the store and got some and applied it last night. It looks a lot better today and he's not walking with his belly all tucked up so much anymore.

Well now to what you've been waiting for, I got his test results back, well at least most of them. The spinal tap showed nothing. Only thing left was the tick titers. All but one came back and I haven't heard anything on it as of yesterday. Of the ones that came back one was, as the student vet said, not definative but suggestive of Toxoplasmosis. It was determined that they would proceed with treating him for this. I've got to call them again to make sure I remembered this correctly but as far as I can remember after 2 wks on it they will retest. If the levels go in the direction they feel it should then they know to continue with the Clindamyacin. If not they'll look at something else. I'm hoping though that this is the end of the search and all that is needed now is medication and healing. It would be so nice to be able to take him for a real walk again and he actually enjoy it. The scary thing though about the Toxoplasmosis is that my daughter was pregnant and my grandchild was borne during this time. Toxo is known to cause spontaneous abortion in woman in early stages of pregnancy and major birth defects in the later stages. I'm so glad I always went to visit her and she didn't come around my house during this time.

Thought I would mention, I'm not sure what is normally charged for Baytril, but the vet I got it from only charged me $63 for 2 wks worth. When I went online the price was $91. Not sure if the $91 was way overpriced or I got a really good deal.

Thanks again to you and all others :wub: who have asked after Nadir.

Judy

Is it just me, or does the refusal to dispense or even just prescribe necessary medication seem unethical? :angry: Anybody know of a vet accreditation group or something that one could inquire about this?

Mary

I didn't mean to make it sound in my post that the vets here will not give medications when needed, they just will not write you a prescription for it so that you can look for it somewhere else cheaper. Their more than happy to dispense medicine at their overly inflated prices. The story I always get is that they do not trust the quality of some of the drugs gotten over the internet.

I wasn't talking about cheaper or Internet drugs. What I was referring to was the much earlier posts about Tramadol, which your vet said he doesn't carry but which would be safely available from a people pharmacy and, as other posters pointed out, does not require hospitalization for administration. Happily, you and Nadir seem beyond that issue now. But it might be good to think about if and how your vet will treat for pain, or not, in the future.

All the best, Mary :gh_lay

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Let's hope this boy is on the road to recovery, because he sure has been through enough! As for the price on the Baytril, compared to here, you got a great price!! Please give Nadir a hug from Misty, Ekko(the goat) Wayne and a really big hug from me

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest LolasMom
Let's hope this boy is on the road to recovery, because he sure has been through enough!

My thought exactly. Feel better sweetheart, we're still sending lots of prayers and well wishes from here. :wub:

Sending more prayers this morning. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest wilsontrixie

Just back from vacation (if you can call it that) and thought I would check in to see how it's going.

What is the treatment for toxoplasmosis? antiparasitics and antibiotics?

Oh no! :ohno How did I miss this thread? I'm so sorry to hear about Nadir! :(

How is your sweet boy doing? Please update us when you can...

Sending lots of good thoughts. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'll start by thanking everyone again for keeping Nadir in your thoughts. Things are still not right with him but at least I know now what he needs to be treated for. As far as treatment goes all I know at this time is Clindamycin, which he has been on since Friday night. I've been doing a little research on Toxoplasmosis to better understand why and how this has affected him the way it has while I wait to hear back from the neurologist that was on his case. I've learned that although Toxoplasmosis is actually quite common in both humans and animals with minimal problems, in those with a weakened immune system such as Nadir's the effects can be much more serious, causing the problems he's been having, or even worse it can be fatal.

can you feel them? :airmail:grouphug

With a heart that is truly touched I can honestly say yes, I can feel them. Because Nadir was my dog, I really didn't think anyone would care but so many have shown so much compassion and caring for him, even in the midst of their very own anquish.

With a heart that is truly touched I can honestly say yes, I can feel them. Because Nadir was my dog, I really didn't think anyone would care but so many have shown so much compassion and caring for him, even in the midst of their very own anquish.

Judy, I think it's safe to say that most of us here, if not all of us, care about Nadir, ours or not!! Maybe the vet can also give Nadir something to boost his immune system. I know when Misty started having problems my vet put her on Immuno Support. He actual admitted to me that he takes it himself when he feels a cold coming on. It's great stuff but only available via script. Nadir is always in my thoughts and prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Judy, I think it's safe to say that most of us here, if not all of us, care about Nadir, ours or not!! Maybe the vet can also give Nadir something to boost his immune system. I know when Misty started having problems my vet put her on Immuno Support. He actual admitted to me that he takes it himself when he feels a cold coming on. It's great stuff but only available via script. Nadir is always in my thoughts and prayers

Claudia,

I have truly learned that. You and so many, many others have shown me that over and over again. I just hope that I can in turn offer to others who need it what so many have shown to me.

I'm going to call the holistic veterinarian he visited last year who helped him so much. She was able to boost his immune system last year when he had this problem but we didn't know the cause, with 4Life-Transfer Factor Plus among other things.

Checking in to see how Nadir is doing?

Claudia,

Thank you for asking. Yesterday for the first time I actually believe I started seeing a turn around in things. I do believe Nadir just may be on the way to better health now finally.

Wonderful news! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Now, that's the way to end the day. Hooray! Nadir is feeling better! Let's be thankful for what we have and wish for more of the same tomorrow. Restful, rejuvenating sleep for Nadir and his Mom!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead