If The Poop Isn't Firm, Is The Dog Unhealthy?

Guest ArtysPeople

Guest ArtysPeople

We've been feeding the "new and improved" Canidae for almost a whole bag now, and I've given up hope that Arty's poops are going to firm up any more than they already have. When he goes first thing in the morning, it more-or-less holds its shape, but it's all soft serve from there.

Here's the thing, though, and why I put this in "Health and Medical" instead of "Food and Dietary": is having soft poop necessarily a bad thing? If the dog's overall health, coat, and energy level are all great, and if the food is of good quality, is poop consistency alone an indication that something is "wrong"? I just wonder how much it has to do with health and how much it has to do with marketing to consumers who are picking up the poop.

I'm not asking for additives or food suggestions, I just want your opinions: does long-term soft poop = an unhealthy dog?

Guest SoulsMom

Well, I'm no canine expert so I don't know. But I've often wondered the same thing. Because as a person and a vegetarian, I feel worse when it's too firm. Ok, TMI . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Very good question, and great idea for a thread, Christie... I find myself wondering about this all the time. Merlin's poops have been consistently soft (too soft) and light for several months now. I worry about it because loose poops are less efficient poops and also because as I understand it, it means that the dog's anal glands aren't expressing themselves the way they should. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

On the other hand, Merlin's coat is the shiniest, softest it's ever been, his energy levels are normal for his temperament and age, his appetite is healthy, etc. So maybe I should stop worrying about this constantly? Not sure. Hoping for an expert opinion on this.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Well I'm no expert, that's for sure, but Wayne has always had rather soft poop and according to my vet, he's very healthy. His weight is good, allergies are gone and his coat and skin are in great shape.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SoulsMom

Along the same lines . . . .with Soul's sickness lately he's developed a sore on his rectum. Is it ok for me to spray Bactine on that? I've been wiping him with doggie wipes after #2 . . . . .

Guest ArtysPeople
It's not good for the anal glands :) Stop & think about people poop: would you like that consistancy? Would it be considered healthy? I think not. A good question! Off to research :lol

Well, see, the thing is that I've never tried to pick my own poop up off the grass, so I can't say if it's that consistency or not. Seriously, it's been a while since I've seen my poop in any context other than underwater, so I can't really say how it compares to Arty's. OK, who wants to apply for the federal grant money to find out? :lol

Well I'm no expert, that's for sure, but Wayne has always had rather soft poop and according to my vet, he's very healthy. His weight is good, allergies are gone and his coat and skin are in great shape.

Same with my Beau. His poop has been loose for years. I have brought in sampe after sample convinced there was something wrong.

Finally, I switched to Proplan sensitive stomach/ salmon and it's MUCH better. Soft, but very formed.

The glucosomine and missing link I add to their food keeps it on the soft side.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't have an answer to the soft poop issue overall (and am looking forward to what others have to say on it) BUT I have read that the anal gland thing is a myth -- that it's the muscles that express the gland, not the firm poop itself. Can't vouch for the correctness of that, however (and would never have guessed a few months ago that I'd be opining on such matters in a public forum!!)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I also think it depends on HOW soft it is. We should remember that the looser the stool, the greater the chance of dehydration. That cannot be good.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Along the same lines . . . .with Soul's sickness lately he's developed a sore on his rectum. Is it ok for me to spray Bactine on that? I've been wiping him with doggie wipes after #2 . . . . .

I wouldn't use Bactine, it's got alcohol (and probably other things) that burn. I use Pledgets. Pledget Linky Is that the brand of doggie wipes you're using?

ETA to respond to original question--Daisy is otherwise healthy, but has soft poo and she does have trouble w her anal glands. We just express them every once in a while and she's okay. She did have one bad infection where the vet wanted to remove her anal glands, but I decided that the risks of side effects (loss of rectal control) wasn't acceptable. We treated w antibiotics for several weeks and they finally cleared up. Unfortunately, Daisy is allergic to most dog foods, so we feel like the poo is as good as it's going to get and she isn't itchy, so we're ahead overall.

DD

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

OK this is for humans Stool Analysis

Stool analysis Normal: The stool appears brown, soft, and well-formed in consistency.

The stool does not contain blood, mucus, pus, harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites.

The stool is shaped like a tube.

The pH of the stool is about 6.

The stool contains less than 2 milligrams per gram (mg/g) of sugars called reducing factors.

Abnormal: The stool is black, red, white, yellow, or green.

The stool is liquid or very hard.

There is too much stool.

The stool contains blood, mucus, pus, harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites.

The stool contains low levels of enzymes, such as trypsin or elastase.

The pH of the stool is less than 5.3 or greater than 6.8.

The stool contains more than 5 mg/g of sugars called reducing factors; between 2 and 5 mg/g is considered borderline.

The stool contains more than 7 g of fat (if your fat intake is about 100 g a day).

Many conditions can change the results of a stool analysis. Your doctor will talk with you about any abnormal results that may be related to your symptoms and medical history.

Dogs:

A site that discusses mainly diarreha, and lists other ailments:

Ron Hines, DVM

and here Hickory Vet Hospital

Normal dog and cat feces vary widely in character, consistency and frequency. It is normal for the last part of a dog’s stool to be soft or semi-soft, especially if the dog is fed dry dog food. It is important for the client to note the color of the feces, the presence of frank blood, black tar-like material, mucus or fat. The client may observe urgency, flatulence (gas) or straining after defecation. This information is helpful to the veterinarian in diagnosing and treating the animal

other than dog food companies, I haven't yet found a good description!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Well Hobbes has always been kinda on the soft side of thing when on kibble. When on raw it was the opposite extreme. Now that he is recovering from lepto which has caused acute kidney disease his poop is perfectly formed. It's actually the best I've ever seen it, I even told the vet I was so amazed. So it can't be a great indicator of health in my opinion, because the boy is far from healthy at this point.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest greytkidsmom

What about a diaper rash ointment? Something that will protect his skin from the poopage. I think bactine would hurt :unsure

I've been told that soft but well formed is fine. Some dogs never get hard stool. NOt sure if it's true, but I've had a vet tell me that...

OUt of my 4...2 are hard stool and 2 ae soft but well formed....all are healthy.

Guest sweetpea

Here's my poop philosophy:

While I have never had the opportunity or inclination to inspect the fruits of my own labor,

I know that diarhea makes me miserable, ergo diarhea must make my dog miserable.

When Sweetpea and I were searching for the perfect food for her, it wasn't just a question of

soft-serve versus formed little turdlets. Her poo was a barometer of how well a food agreed

with her, and for 9 months, there was a lot of disagreement!

And it wasn't just pudding poo, there was usually also a lot of gas, so virulent you could taste it.

After 1 evet visit with a bag of bloody pudding poo plus 3 regular vet visits (with tests and cultures and

flagyl prescriptions) and still no medical explanation, the quest for the perfect food began.

We found it, and thanks to Ahicks clever little Bristol scale we can tell you that

Sweetpea regularly produces "3"s and "4"s. (Although they lost me at fluffy as well.)

Sometimes the proof is in the poop.

Buzzy

and the lovely and proud-producer-of-3-graded-poo Sweetpea

Personally I think there is far too much fuss about the 'quality' of dog poop particularly where greys are concerned.I have found with all our dogs that the more exercise they get through the day the softer their poops become after the first one whatever food they are on. As long as they do not have the big D, show no signs of anal gland problems and are otherwise healthy looking and fit, I don't worry about it. To be honest I think many people only care because it is easier to pick up solid poops and the constant owner concern and food changes and 'firming up' additions actually upset the dogs and make the situation worse.

Sue from England

Guest vahoundlover

I'd use Neosporin. That's what our vet had us use for Bossy's.

Guest SoulsMom

I'd use Neosporin. That's what our vet had us use for Bossy's.

Actually, I've been using bag balm since in worked so well for his "Tufts rash"

Guest FrostyBottoms

Vinny's poops went south after the new Canidae, i switched to Kirkland....and they got worse.....I went to the doggy health food store by me and they gave me NutriLife for him. It is made in Wisconsin with WI animals and birds......he is finally getting firm...like drop and roll firm, after being on it for about 1 1/2 months. He also doesn't have nearly as much gas. While he was on the Kirkland food, I had to get his anal glads drained for the first time. So I know it affects the anal glands for sure if they don't have a solid poop to naturally drain them.

Good luck! I am finally enjoying a gassy free house!

Wow. Well Roscoe is always a 3, so i guess I'm not going to worry about it any more.

I think when the scale referred to #6 as 'fluffy', they were referring to what we call 'pudding poo'. I know Roscoe has gotten 6 from time to time and i can see why it might be called so.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars