Joe -- Another Bad Night

Guest joedogs_mom

Guest joedogs_mom

Going to try to sum up real quickly.

Over last 2 years: ongoing neck and lower back disc problems and on and off steroids with Previcox and Robaxin on stand-by for comfort (obviously NOT taken with the Dex though); minor off and on front right leg limp but never for more than a couple of days and not bad

About 3 weeks ago: latest "flare up" and Rx for steroids (x rays of spine reveal no change since summer), slight front leg limp; seemed back to normal self within a week and limp gone

About 2 weeks ago: another flare up plus what vet thought was really bad gastritis (wasn't eating plus diarrhea plus white count at almost 19,000 but no other significantly weird blood stuff) and had lost 5 pounds from prior week (at this point he had lost 15 pounds since June); Rx for antibiotics, new pain med Tramadol, anti-diarrheal, and appetite stimulator (literally, I thought he might die at this point...it was THAT bad)

A week goes by: he gets MUCH better; back to squirrel patrol, and has gained a few pounds

This past Sunday: last dose of Tramadol given in morning, yelping at night, call vet and he okays to give Previcox I have on hand for pain

Monday, Tuesday: Antibiotics completed but Previcox still 1x/day, he's MUCH better

Wednesday: Made decision myself to not give Previcox at dinner because he seems so much better; an hour or two later he's yelping off and on, restless (but not panting and shaking as he's done with prior flare-ups), give Previcox, he doesn't lie down AT ALL last night other than for 10 seconds at a time. Gave Robaxin at 3 am. Went out to tee-tee 3x through night (this is unusual). Ate great this morning but still won't lie down. Notice a VERY VERY minor limp on front leg. Weird that he *did* jump up on the bed and lie down with me for about 45 minutes last night during all of this; but then hopped off and continued to pace.

Of course my vet doesn't usually work Thursdays but they will call if he comes in.

What's the deal with Previcox? Does it normally take a few hours to work? I seem to have noticed this...I'm thinking the Tramadol is much better.

It's time to x-ray the leg, isn't it?

Can y'all think of anything I'm missing here???

Edited by joedogs_mom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Previcox and tramadol work completely different ways. :)

Previcox is an NSAID-- non steroidal anti-inflammatory. It helps pain by reducing inflammation. (COX 2 inhibitor)

Tramadol is an analgesic. It alters the way pain is perceived, but does not reduce inflammation. It's a synthetic that binds to the opioid receptors (among others).

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Sending prayers and gentle hugs to Joe. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest joedogs_mom
I'd have that leg x-rayed Laura.

Yeah -- it's time. I was looking through his chart at Dr. Pearce's last week and I just hadn't realized this stuff had been going on for two years...having gotten A LOT worse in the last 3 months. Thanks Judy...will keep you posted.

I'm kinda wondering if he's experiencing nerve pain originating in the neck or spine and traveling down the leg. Since it gets better and then worse he might be doing something that irritates it all over again and so the cycle starts all over again. Has he had a good neuro exam?

A steroid and maybe gabapentin should help it if it's nerve pain. Let's hope.... but the diarrhea is a whole other thing. (:

Marcia

Edited to make myself clearer.

Edited by MZH

I would opt for x-rays and possibly acupunture.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LazyBones
:grouphug good thoughts for you and joe. as you know, gumby is also having similar problems, and i know how you must be feeling right now. :(

Guest joedogs_mom

Just got back from vet. No cancer or anything suspicious in leg but another disc issue in Joe's neck. So, we'll be managing the ongoing neck/back pain more aggressively from here on out.

Thanks everyone.

Guest HHDesigns

Glad there is no cancer, that is good news! Tramadol worked tremendously well when Threat had the bone cancer, so I am a big fan; however, I know there are different meds for different things. I hope he's feeling better soon....

I don't know if this could be it, but I found when my angel Bailey was starting to feel better she'd invariably do something (like running) that would make it worse. it could time for leash walks only...from now on. it's not worth the damage they can do to themselves to let them run any more...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest joedogs_mom

Go figure that Joe came back from the vet yesterday worse than he went in.

They did x-rays and such and I'm sure in the process aggravated his neck/back.

I left with Doxy (still has a minor infection of some sort that they saw in his urine) and Tramadol.

He wouldn't leave my side all afternoon.

He did eat yesterday and last night. I thought it was going to be a good night as he jumped on our bed and slept for a couple of hours but within 30 seconds of him waking up from that sleep he had injured himself somehow (just a slight movement can cause a GSOD) and paced and panted the ENTIRE rest of the night. He didn't lie down at all. Naturally, no one in my house slept (our house is tiny with all hardwoods so every movement is heard). I'm at my wit's end -- my husband and I have a 20 month old son and we have literally not slept 3 nights out of the last 10. Obviously Joe's comfort is of higher importance but oh my goodness this is rough.

He is not a dog that's ready to die as he still gets excited when he sees the leash, likes to eat, etc. He is just clearly in SO much pain and this freaking medicine is not working.

I think he hurts himself then works himself into a tizzy. I'm taking him back to Dr. Pearce this morning to see about anti-anxiety meds and SOMETHING, ANYTHING to relieve his pain and help him rest.

Edited by joedogs_mom

Laura, is Joe taking a NSAID like Metacam or Dermaxx? If he has inflammation in his neck/spine then an anti-inflamatory med along with the Tramadol should give him some relief. Tramadol is also not for all dogs, it made Brooke very restless and she couldn't tolerate it. If you're seeing Dr. P today ask him about other drug options.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

oops, sorry just saw that Joe is taking Previcox. Most of the NSAIDs work better at reducing inflammation if they're given consistently for a week to 10 days, then stop and see how he does. Patsie has compressed discs in her neck and when she's having problems I give Metacam for 7 days and then she's back to new.

edited cause I haven't had enough coffee

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest joedogs_mom
Laura, is Joe taking a NSAID like Metacam or Dermaxx? If he has inflammation in his neck/spine then an anti-inflamatory med along with the Tramadol should give him some relief. Tramadol is also not for all dogs, it made Brooke very restless and she couldn't tolerate it. If you're seeing Dr. P today ask him about other drug options.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

He is not on anything else...we've tried steroids off and on...he lost 15 pounds over 3 months. We've tried Previcox and Robaxin and nothing is helping.

I will ask him about the Metacam or Deramaxx today...I am PRAYING he is there today. Thank you SO much...I just can't believe there is not a better solution for this...I mean it's DISC problems...and that shouldn't be anywhere near a reason to have to even think about putting him to sleep (that's NOT an option right now, fyi : ) but clearly he is VERY uncomfortable.)

When our whippet had neck/back problems, anti-inflammatory meds helped, but he also needed a couple weeks solid rest -- no jumping, no running, etc.

Hugs and best luck with your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LazyBones
Go figure that Joe came back from the vet yesterday worse than he went in.

They did x-rays and such and I'm sure in the process aggravated his neck/back.

very likely. i took gumby in to the e-vet wednesday night, and she also had x-rays and other procedures. like joe, she was also found to have some disc problems. she also came home feeling worse than when she went in. when i took her back to my regular ver the next morning, she got a painkiller/sedative combo shot. thursday was rough for us all, but she was feeling better by the next day. hopefully, your joe will also be feeling better soon too.

:grouphug hugs to you, and continued healing thoughts for joe.

The only drugs that have ever truly helped our dogs with neck (nerve) pain like that are pred and tramadol -- and, yes, minimal handling at the vet's. It doesn't have to be a high mg pred dose; sometimes 10 mg will do the trick. If Joe will eat well maybe that will stave off the weight and muscle loss. I know it's hard to say what to do, not knowing every nuance of his condition plus I'm not a vet.

Tramadol is often underdosed too. Some dogs can handle 100 mg 3 times a day, although the starting dose is usually 50 mg once or twice a day.

Hopefully you'll find a workable maintenance program for him soon. Sometimes they need pred even every other day forever. It ain't the greatest thing, but it will give him pain relief. Whatever works.

May you all get some much deserved rest and Joe some relief very soon!

Marcia

Guest joedogs_mom

we are back from the vet. joe had a steroid and morphine injection. dr. pearce said it is probably time for surgery or to be put to sleep because of his level of pain. the morphine shot will hopefully kick in soon so that he will rest. i understand he'll be really out of it. surgery is not really an option as he is almost 10 years old, it's risky, and not to mention costs about $3,000.

at this point, we're trying to keep him comfortable. i'm so, so sad. he is our first greyhound.

we came home with a new steroid oral Rx, tagamet, etc. in the meantime, i'm praying that the injections will give him some quick relief. and that maybe, just maybe, he'll be better in a few days...although it's just a matter of time before the next episode i know.

thanks for the well wishes.

i just re-read my post -- it sounds like i'm on auto-pilot or something. rest assured, my husband and i are completely devastated...i had a good cry in the middle of the night and this morning at the vet. i'm pretty sure my husband (who is back with joe now while i'm wrangling my toddler and the other greys) is crying now.

Edited by joedogs_mom