Rapid Shallow Breathing & Other Symptoms

Well now you know what you're dealing with and it sounds like Bell can do well on the meds. She's a strong little girl and I just know she's going to do well!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the vet just called. The radiologist compared Bell's xrays to the ones we took of her in June, and feels that her heart has enlarged slightly and would give a diagnosis of congestive heart failure, which would apparently also explain the weird "diffuse" patterns in her lungs which looked pneumonia-ish. We are starting her on Lasix once the pharmacy opens tomorrow, then will probably get her in for a consult with a cardiologist and an electrocardiogram to determine the extent/level of the CHF and the appropriate treatment.

Her bloodwork showed everything textbook except a slightly elevated kidney creatinine level of 2.1-- I dunno what that means but I figure someone on here will! Otherwise vet says her blood looks like that of a much younger dog.

I asked what the prognosis was, and the vet said that with the right meds, we could be talking years not months, which made me feel a bit better. I know at 14 this is not something that is unexpected but at least we have an answer and a plan.

Yup. My collie did wonderful on the meds for congestive heart failure. What a difference. We're thinking of you.

Guest Jennifer4719
Well, the vet just called. The radiologist compared Bell's xrays to the ones we took of her in June, and feels that her heart has enlarged slightly and would give a diagnosis of congestive heart failure, which would apparently also explain the weird "diffuse" patterns in her lungs which looked pneumonia-ish. We are starting her on Lasix once the pharmacy opens tomorrow, then will probably get her in for a consult with a cardiologist and an electrocardiogram to determine the extent/level of the CHF and the appropriate treatment.

Her bloodwork showed everything textbook except a slightly elevated kidney creatinine level of 2.1-- I dunno what that means but I figure someone on here will! Otherwise vet says her blood looks like that of a much younger dog.

I asked what the prognosis was, and the vet said that with the right meds, we could be talking years not months, which made me feel a bit better. I know at 14 this is not something that is unexpected but at least we have an answer and a plan.

When I saw your original post I immediately thought of CHF. It sounds like it was caught very early and with the right meds she should be managed very well. Glad she is feeling better!

SIGN IN OUR VETS OFFICE-----Pork will KILL your dog.

WHAT? What's needed is support here......

I,m not trying to start anything here , here are the facts , Greyhound steals pork steak is sick for 5 weeks and looses 20 lbs before starting to eat correctly , vet says there pancreas cannot assimilate pork and he has lost several dogs from eating pork our vet has written 6 books so I trust his knowledge , I have always heard myself to never feed a dog pork , if you don't believe this there is nothing more I can say other than re-search the subject before you give a opinion that might hurt someones pet.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad this is something that can be treated! My Dad was diagnosed with CHF a couple of years ago and with treatment he is doing great. He takes Lasix and Coreg, and watches his diet. I hope Bell will be just fine!

glad you have an answer! I, too, thought the symptoms sounded like "heart", but I'm not a vet, nor do I play one :) Sugar had a similar diagnosis (but more advanced). She was on Lasix and Enalipril, and later Vetmedin. She did quite well for about 2 1/2 years. :bighug

I am really puzzled about this pork thing. As I posted, Cody ate no meat EXCEPT pork for over a year, is going to be 13 on Nov 16 and he did greyt on it. He ate four cups a day plus all fresh veggies and supplements from his holistic vet.

Anyone else ever feed just pork? I'm just curious, I'm not trying to start a debate, just like to learn about these pups.

I am really puzzled about this pork thing. As I posted, Cody ate no meat EXCEPT pork for over a year, is going to be 13 on Nov 16 and he did greyt on it. He ate four cups a day plus all fresh veggies and supplements from his holistic vet.

Anyone else ever feed just pork? I'm just curious, I'm not trying to start a debate, just like to learn about these pups.

Bell is not improving. She's eating but only a little, I managed to get a salmon burger and some ground beef and cheese into her yesterday, that's it. She won't touch treats or get out of bed to do anything but pee in the yard. The Lasix is working in that her breathing is easier, and she's drinking more, but she really can't afford to lose any more weight, she's only 48 lbs now and I can see every rib. She wants to go on walks with me and Penny but the vet said no exercise yet (we have a long staircase to our house that is the only way inside, which is very hard for her to climb). I just want her to be happy and she's not happy, she just looks so sad lying there on her bed. I tried to snuggle with her and she didn't like that either.

DH gets home this morning so I guess we will call the vet and see how soon we can get her in for the electrocardiogram and consult with cardiologist. It's breaking my heart to see her like this.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

I am so sorry that Bell and you are going through this. It is heartbreaking to see them not feeling well.

I know that custard used to be used to get nutrients into people, do you think if you made custard and (please don't think I'm crazy here) a little whipped cream with chicken or beef broth in it, that she might eat that? Even egg salad. I know that my girls have always loved egg salad, it has been a last resort on a few occasions.

Sending more prayers and good thoughts your way.

Bell is on my Prayer list , if she were mine I,d get to the store and buy some liver sausage for treats and pasta cooked with calf's liver ground up in a food processor and then cooked just a little then mixed together , can you carry her up and down the stairs so she uses as little energy as possible.

I tried meat baby food this morning, a chicken burger, some yogurt, and some Ensure. She wouldn't eat any of it. I have to pick up DH from the airport in a little while, so I'll stop at McDonald's on the way home and see if she'll eat some fries and a burger. She loves McDonald's, so I am hoping it works. Also once DH is home he can carry her down the stairs so she can at least get a little sunshine (no way my giant pregnant butt could carry her at the moment!) so that will be good.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Oh Melissa, this is breaking my heart. I love your sweet old lady so much. Hopefully having DH home will make things easier and may just having him home will help Bell mentally also. She's such a good girl. You are all in my prayers. Come on Bell, eat for mom.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

OH NO. I'm so sorry she's feeling bad again............

Just when she started showing some improvement. I spoke too soon...

Eat up Bell for your mommy it'll make you strong.

:hope Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your darling girl.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Well DH's flight was late so we just got home. Just now he was making a pastrami sandwich to take to work and Bell seemed to perk up a little at the smell. So DH hand-fed her about 1/4 of a pound of pastrami (none left for him!). I know it's probably too salty, etc. but at least she ate SOMETHING. I got her some Pepcid so we will try that next. I am saving the McDonald's for tonight, I got Chicken McNuggets and a quarter pounder with fries.

Penny is VERY jealous of Bell at the moment. She got one small piece of pastrami and looked extremely ticked off about it.

Edited by Penelopesslave

- Mark Twain

Sending more prayers. Try to eat sweetheart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.