Ember's Bruising

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

the doc said to apply a warm compress 4 times a day to help with swelling and that fluid pouch. she seems a bit more bruised today. here are the pics. she is resting in my bedroom now. does this seem normal, or is there cause for concern?

warm compress applied to surgical site

16h3nex.jpg

better look at the bruising

347z6np.jpg

Bruising always gets worse before it gets better. If it shows no improvement by day 4 or 5, call the vet. Poor baby girl. hugs to you both.

ETA- you can take the tape off where the IV was (unlees doc said not to for some reason)

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I will pass on a tip (thanks Jenn) that helped me with Bones bruising after his accident. Arnicia Gel. You can find it at a health food store. Bones bruising ( looked just like Ember) was gone is 5 days.

I also made a warm Comfrey compress for Bones. That helped him enormously. Comfery is an herb you can also find at the health food store. Continued healing thoughts for Ember!

You can get first Hand Advice from Robin ..... how good is that ! :):):):):)

Polli did not bruise other than a tiny area very lightly. Just like people, some are more prone to brusing than others.

I was hoping others could chime in. I suspect it's perfectly normal as I had said, I know it can get worse before it gets better.

Day 3 post surgery is usually a bad day.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Bruising 48 hrs post-op is pretty typical. Because Ember has been up and walking (and eating, you good girl, you!), most of the bruising appears to have settled at the bottom of her chest. That's just gravity pulling the blood to the lowest point.

Robin, I think the reason Polli didn't bruise as much was because, as I recall, she wore a compression wrap for a couple of days after surgery.

So glad to see both girls doing really, really well!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Bruising 48 hrs post-op is pretty typical. Because Ember has been up and walking (and eating, you good girl, you!), most of the bruising appears to have settled at the bottom of her chest. That's just gravity pulling the blood to the lowest point.

Robin, I think the reason Polli didn't bruise as much was because, as I recall, she wore a compression wrap for a couple of days after surgery.

So glad to see both girls doing really, really well!

You are correct. She did wear the compression wrap until I cut it off of her! (it was digging into her side and she was yelping at it) But I took it off day 4 or 5.

Thank you for your well wishes.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan didn't bruise quite as much as Ember. He did not have any kind of compression bandage.

Morgan_amputation.jpg

Alex did bruise quite a bit more but I don't have a photo of that. He was a rear leg amputation.

Guest EmbersDad

thanx everybody. im guessing its normal, but im a fretful pappy :lol

I will pass on a tip (thanks Jenn) that helped me with Bones bruising after his accident. Arnicia Gel. You can find it at a health food store. Bones bruising ( looked just like Ember) was gone is 5 days.

I also made a warm Comfrey compress for Bones. That helped him enormously. Comfery is an herb you can also find at the health food store. Continued healing thoughts for Ember!

is that something topical? im not supposed to get the stitches wet.

Yes, arnica is topical and it's amazing stuff. I used it on my boy after he tore a muscle in his leg and I could see the difference by the next day. You don't need to get around the stitches just yet, but you can rub it along the bruised area. I would imagine you'd do the same thing with the compress Gazehund describes.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yes, arnica is topical and it's amazing stuff. I used it on my boy after he tore a muscle in his leg and I could see the difference by the next day. You don't need to get around the stitches just yet, but you can rub it along the bruised area. ...

Yup, what she said. :nod It's a thick gel, so you're unlikely to have it drip into the incision area. Just gently apply a bit of it on the bruised areas, avoiding the incision. Glad to hear she's doing so well so soon! :yay

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I see all the blood pooling on these pictures and Asia did not have that, I wonder if it is the drug Amicar (500 mg PO tid) for 5 days starting the day of the surgery, that Dr Couto sent to my surgeon the prevented that?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Yes, arnica is topical and it's amazing stuff. I used it on my boy after he tore a muscle in his leg and I could see the difference by the next day. You don't need to get around the stitches just yet, but you can rub it along the bruised area. I would imagine you'd do the same thing with the compress Gazehund describes.

Yep, exactly.

I am not sure becuase I have not had to expierence, but we wanted to send more prayers and hugs!!!! Bless her little heart. :grouphug:candle:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sorry Tom. I forgot to tell you about this when we chatted. I use Traumeel for any serious bruising, either from an injury or surgery. It is a homeopathic med that contains arnica, plus a lot of other good herbs. Queens univeristy uses it on hemophiliac dogs when they bleed into joints and it has actually prevented the need for the use of blood products. I also use arnica gel, it is a staple in our first aid kit for the pups and us humans.

You can read about Traumeel here. Traumeel

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Took me long enough to find a good explanation:

To Ice or Heat:

If you have a pain or you hurt yourself, do you ice it or heat it? Good question for all of you weekend warriors.

Apply ice no longer than 20 minutes:

If you've hurt yourself in the last 48 hours (sprained your ankle or hammered your thumb instead of the nail).

If the area is swollen - ice will decrease the inflammation around the injury which will help control the pain.

After surgery to reduce swelling, bleeding, and bruising.

To chronic injuries suffered by athletes, such as overused joints like runner's knees - these areas should be iced after the activity to reduce inflamation.

Apply heat no longer than 20 minutes:

If you have chronic pain, such as sore, stiff, nagging joint or muscle pain - the heat brings new blood to the area to help loosen the tissues and help them to relax.

To chronic conditions, such as a tight hamstring before you exercise to improve elasticity.

Fit's Tips: Both heat and ice manipulate blood flow. Heat increases circulation which boosts the supply of oxygen to the area which accelerates the removal of waste products. Ice restricts blood flow which reduces inflammation and pain. If the injury hasn't improved or gets worse after 48 hours make an appointment to see your doctor.

http://www.fitsugar.com/96501

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I was told to use ice packs too for Snickers. I gave them the handout from Dr. Couto but no one followed his advice! Snicks had lots of bruising and a big pocket, among other issues.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

My Marvin had a lot of bruising too when he had his front leg amputation. He also had a lot of fluid build up in his front leg and neck (I had to loosen his collar). It should look better soon.

Sending hugs for your girly :)

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

This was Darcy's bruising on day 3 after surgery (which, if I've calculated correctly, is where Ember is up to)

2e9e4c58104622f8d2f2762eb90d1053.jpg

This was day 4

1c22ef9f4f08ae66c2afb423dfda8465.jpg

And day 5

76daf199afce7a8619a62f57806a5cca.jpg

And day 6

bda9601ef95abc72cd633bbca76b2693.jpg

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Here's a couple I found of Vinnie after surgery - it kind of pooled everywhere, including his gentlemanly bits - which was really strange. It went down his front leg, his belly/chest and the last area noted as above :blush - this was gone in a week or less as the body re-absorbed everything. Ember is doing greyt!

th_2006-04-21076-blooddistributiongett.jpg

th_2006-04-21661.jpg

th_2006-04-21668-bloodredistribution.jpg

th_2006-04-21705.jpg

Edited by Vinnie

Guest EmbersDad

ember is looking much better. it is about half of what it was and the fluid pouch has shrunk considerably as well. i will try and get some pics later.