Rear Leg Amputation ?

Brooke woke me up at 4am and I can't go back to sleep...she's sleeping just fine now. I have so many thoughts and questions spinning around in my head.

It seems that most of our babies have had front leg amputations from osteo but I can't find any stories about rear leg amputations. I'd love to hear the good, the bad and everything in between so I can be prepared.

Brooke hasn't been diagnosed with osteo. She's an almost 10 year old who had a bad break 2 1/2 weeks ago, and then suffered a hairline fracture above the plate. Because of Brooke's age, the extensive damage from the first break, and now another fracture; I've decided to amputate the right rear leg.

Is Brooke going to need help pottying? Should I get some type of sling to assist her?

Should I switch her bed out for quilts so she has a more solid surface to manuever on...I've noticed that since she broke her leg she loses her balance on her regular bed when she's trying to settle down. She has always turned circles, nested and made her bed her way before she finally lays down.

My vet said that rear leg amputees do better than front leg amputees because dogs carry their weight on the front legs and her good rear leg will act as a propeller. What are your experiences?

What age was your baby at the time of amputation? Any problems later in life because of the amputation?

How long after surgery was your dog home, and then up and about?

What meds did you use at home for pain relief? How long was your baby on meds?

Was your baby ever able to do stairs and steps?

Let me hear your experiences, please. They'll be helpful to me and maybe someone else in the future who faces a rear leg amputation.

Thanks

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

This girl had a rear leg amputated when @ 2? due to a catastrophic break: http://greyhound-data.com/d?d=charm+city&a...&birthland=

Somewhere I had a picture of her pouncing on a stuffie but I can't find it. I don't know if she does stairs. She does run etc.

@ 10 days after her amputation she did not need help pottying. Might have needed some help earlier but I would guess a towel sling would work; might fold it to @ 4" wide and stitch across it a few times so you don't have to refold it every time. I ordered one of these for our wobbly senior whippet: http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/servle...ss_20452_41417_ but he went on to the bridge before it arrived (RIP little guy).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

P.S. Lots of prayers and good thoughts for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you, Jey!! That harness is greyt looking. Charm is a beauty!

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

I personally have never had a dog with an amputation. I did have a friend who's greyhound lost her right rear leg to cancer, but it was NOT osteo, but another form of cancer that's fairly slow growing and not too aggresive.

Anyhow, Peachie did great, she learned how to go up and down a full flight of basement stairs after her amputation.

She lived for over 4 years and died peacefully in her sleep. She was a fantastic dog with lots of character. :)

Brooke woke me up at 4am and I can't go back to sleep...she's sleeping just fine now. I have so many thoughts and questions spinning around in my head.

It seems that most of our babies have had front leg amputations from osteo but I can't find any stories about rear leg amputations. I'd love to hear the good, the bad and everything in between so I can be prepared.

Brooke hasn't been diagnosed with osteo. She's an almost 10 year old who had a bad break 2 1/2 weeks ago, and then suffered a hairline fracture above the plate. Because of Brooke's age, the extensive damage from the first break, and now another fracture; I've decided to amputate the right rear leg.

Is Brooke going to need help pottying? Should I get some type of sling to assist her?

Should I switch her bed out for quilts so she has a more solid surface to manuever on...I've noticed that since she broke her leg she loses her balance on her regular bed when she's trying to settle down. She has always turned circles, nested and made her bed her way before she finally lays down.

My vet said that rear leg amputees do better than front leg amputees because dogs carry their weight on the front legs and her good rear leg will act as a propeller. What are your experiences?

What age was your baby at the time of amputation? Any problems later in life because of the amputation?

How long after surgery was your dog home, and then up and about?

What meds did you use at home for pain relief? How long was your baby on meds?

Was your baby ever able to do stairs and steps?

Let me hear your experiences, please. They'll be helpful to me and maybe someone else in the future who faces a rear leg amputation.

Thanks

Denise- Bev turned me on to www.tripawds.com

it is a web site of ONLY tripods. They sell the ruff harness which is for tripods. It gives them the support while they learn how to naviate on their own. I bought it while Polli was in the hospital and it;s scheuduled for arrival on Tuesday. I can't wait for it as I really thing it will make a big difference. (once she gets over the fact she has to wear it!!!) it looks like a vest.

http://www.tripawds.com/2008/04/29/new-ruf...s-now-available

Rear leg is easier on them as they bear most of their weight on their front.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I personally have never had a dog with an amputation. I did have a friend who's greyhound lost her right rear leg to cancer, but it was NOT osteo, but another form of cancer that's fairly slow growing and not too aggresive.

Anyhow, Peachie did great, she learned how to go up and down a full flight of basement stairs after her amputation.

She lived for over 4 years and died peacefully in her sleep. She was a fantastic dog with lots of character. :)

Anne, you give me hope.

Brooke is Wanda's (Rowanda)baby and the first grey I adopted.

Guest greyhoundluv

Elvis is my tripod, back leg amputation. I bet before you know it Brooke will be up and back to her usuall routine. I think you just need to follow her ques. She will let you know what she may or may not need help with. She might surprise you and not really need much help at all. Just give her lots of love and kisses. No one can say how quickly she will be able to accomplish things, but I doubt it will take her too long to figure things out. Good luck to you and Brooke. Hugs and prayers to both of you.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Alex was diagnosed with osteo in his hind leg and went through amputation. I also have a front leg amputated dog, Morgan, from osteo. They say a rear leg amputation is easier and I would agree. A rear leg amputee will have a tougher time going up stairs though. The Vets had Alex walking the day after surgery and he was able to manuver outside to potty on his own. Within a few weeks, we was able to go up and down full flights of stairs slowly. I bought a harness to assist him and he hated it. When I picked it up to put it on him, he'd go up the stairs on his own. I bought an ortho foam bed, but they preferred regular beds. Both amputees came home the 2nd day after surgery. They came home with a fentanyl (sp?) patch in addition to pain meds, but I don't remember which ones. The meds are slowly decreased and they are usually off them in 7-10 days. Alex was 8 at the time and a stout 85 lbs. I can't tell you long-term effects as Alex developed lung mets a few months later.

Well I'm sorry to have to be a bearer of bad news, but my friend had a rear leg amputated on one of her GH's from Osteo in early Dec. last year. She sent him to the bridge in Sept. That last month he had a lot of problems getting up. meds only helped for a few weeks. They don't feel it was directly from the osteo ( his lungs were still clear), but maybe something like a pinched nerve. Anyway, she said he seemed to just give up.

How they handle it will probbaly be an individual thing.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Hi~

I can't offer any insight post op regarding meds and such because my beautiful tripod came to me after the healing process. Mystee is a rear leg amp, not due to osteo and here is what I can offer.

She does not require assistance while doing her doggie business. She has learned to stabilize herself nicely and I was like a mother hawk watching to ensure she didn't need a sling or a special harness to assist her during her potty breaks. We are very fortunate to have only 1 step she has to navigate between her back yard and our home. So I can't offer any insight as to steps. We also have an elevator in our home, so really she does not face that obstacle for when she needs to go visit my mom up on the second floor. Spoiled! She needs throw rugs for her own confidence. She walks on the tile and hardwood floors just fine, but moves with more stability on throw rugs (backed with rubber or secured to the floor) at this point. She is F A S T, do not think that you have any better chance of catching a tripod because of a missing leg. I was floored to watch her keep up with my four legged hounds. She can jump on couches and beds without even thinking about it. She can also jump up into and down from my Pacifica hatch back. She refuses to wait for me or DH to get her down or up into the car. She can walk a park or a neighborhood for about 45 minutes to an hour before I notice her beginning to shiver and shake on her remaining back leg. When she has had enough, I let her call the shots.

I have had to modify her pajama's from four legs to three as they kept sliding around her body, but other than that she is a peach about being a three pod. She enjoys having the muscles above her amp sight massaged. I love holding that portion of her body in my hand and feeling the muscles twitch and settle down when I pet her in that area. My mother and DH were a little nervous at first, but she loves to be touched above her amp site.

I wish you continued good luck!

Lori

Winnie was a right rear amp due to osteo at 8 years old. She had a full and happy life for 3 1/2 years after the surgery. Steps can be problematic, and she didn't do our 23 outside steps for about a month, but when she "forgot" she had 3 legs, she also forgot she was "handicapped", and she did those steps several times a day. I'd say the willingness or ability to do the steps has more to do with the personality than the physical limitations. Some dogs are fearful or drama queens. One of my friends had a big male with a rear amp who would do the GSOD if he had to go up 1 step to get into the house. And Winnie looked at 23 wood steps and did what she had to do. Here's the old girl about 4 months before we lost her to kidney failure.

Winnieruns.jpg

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Anne, you give me hope.

Brooke is Wanda's (Rowanda)baby and the first grey I adopted.

And I forgot to mention that Peachie had her surgery on a Wednesday and came home on Friday and when I stopped by on Saturday to see her, she met me at the door with the other 5 greyhounds in the house! I was surprised that she was up and moving around, but she was and she pushed right to the front of the pack to greet me. :)

And if this baby has the same hutzpah that her momma had, she'll be up and about quickly. :)