I Think One Of Them Ate A Candle!

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

We came home to some candle bits on the floor but no candle. I think one of them might have eaten it! Will they be okay? Do I need to take them to the e-vet? Make them all vomit?

Any warning signs I should be looking out for?

Guest LokisMom
Call your vet immediately and see what they say. They can give you direction on what to look for or if you need to get them in to see the vet right away.

Our vet isn't open today and the E-vet will not give any advice on the phone. They always insist on seeing the dog for liability reasons. So I was hoping someone hear had some experience as to whether this was an emergency or could at least wait until we can call our vet tomorrow.

And why do they always do these things on weekends and holidays? Why is it never 3:00pm on a regular workday when the vet might be in the office?

Guest BlackandBrindle

They'll probaby be fine.

Was the little metal disc at the bottom missing? IF so, definitely DO NOT induce vomiting. You never want to risk more damage by bringing sharp things up.

I'd watch them and if one seems off, maybe take them into your regular vet. I don't think it warrants an e-vet visit unless you see signs of obvious distress.

Sadie has eaten some WEIRD stuff and it has all passed through fine.

Cody swallowed a candle - WHOLE! - once while she was being babysat!! They gave her (and their dog since they didn't know which one ate it!) hydrogen peroxide... OUTSIDE... and they both barfed - it came out the same way it went in... WHOLE - it was Cody... If there was no bottom part, only wax, you could certainly make them vomit it up...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Ekko has eaten many candles until I learned how high I had to keep them. She was fine, but I was seeing wax crystals in the yard for a week!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

As I read this thread I keep thinking about all the wax lips I ate as a kid around Halloween! We were always warned to chew and not eat them, but they were so good!!!! My guess is your pooch will be fine.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We've had candles eaten here before. Just watch and wait it will likely pass without a problem. Depending on the type and size it may cause loose stools. The only thing that would concern me is the wick if it was a taper candle or the metal disk if it was anchored with one. Watch for signs of distress, pacing, panting, straining to pass stools. Chances are thought hat the wax around the wick will help it pass through without incident, it did here. ;)

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest karma98104

Teehee... I bet if you look far enough into GT history you'll see a very similar post from me from years ago when Riley was a baby. He lived to tell the tail- no vet visit needed. They are tough little guys. Over the years I've learned not to panic or rush to action unless I see that they are in distress.

Guest SusanP

Spinner did this. I can't remember if the disc was missing or not, but I do know that when I called the vet they just said to keep an eye on him. I know I didn't have to bring him in.

I remember when we fostered Oakley (the boys sister) and she ate my candles. She was just fine.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Big question: Was it a SCENTED candle? I'd be more worried about the fragrance oil than the wax itself. The wick anchor issue could be a problem too. But not all pillars, tapers and votives have them.

Lois

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest LokisMom

Well, I am happy to announce that DBF found the majority of the chewed candle where one of them had hidden it under their bed. I am assuming they were saving it for a midnight snack. They did ingest some of it, it appears but not near as much as we initially thought. They all seem to be fine so we are going to keep an eye on them but I think they'll be okay.

Thank you all for the advice and for quelling my panic.