Introducing..........

DevilDog

Well finally, after months of waiting, here he is! Roscoe! :)

Adoption day went well. My BF and I drove an hour to pick him up, and when the adoption coordinator opened up his crate, he came right up to us to say hello. He took a shine to my BF right away (we'll have to change that :P ) and i thought he was just the most handsome guy! So much more beautiful than the picture i had. He laid quietly in the back seat for our drive home, and he peed outside before we went in the apartment. So far, so good!

He spent a good bit of time sniffing around the apartment, investigating. After an hour or so we took him outside, and he did well for the most part on the leash. He pulls a bit if i give him too much slack, but if i hold the leash short so he's walking right next to me, he does well. He's shown no interest what-so-ever in the ducks by the lake. Aaaand, he's already playing with his stuffies. He tosses them up in the air and gnaws on them a bit. But he's done with that after 20 seconds. :lol We decided to crate him in the livingroom overnight, and he did well. He woke up at 5:30 this morning and let out a good bark.. he needed to pee right away! Needless to say, ive been up with him since 6:30, when my BF left for work.

Well this morning wasn't much fun... I was exhausted from not sleeping the past couple days, and Roscoe was pacing and whining and pacing and whining and peeing in my plant 5 minutes after coming in from a 15 minute walk and pacing and whining...... and i nearly lost it because i didnt know what he wanted... i called my BF crying because i felt overwhelmed. Well he calmed me and told me i need to be more firm with him (i thought i was) and finally he laid down to sleep. I took my opportunity to snooze as well! Well since i've woken up some more, ive taken more control of the situation. Now when he paces and whines I go "UH UH!" with some authority and he shuts up. I guess i do need to be more firm. :rolleyes: So he's been following me around as i make the bed and make my coffee, we played for a bit (sort of) and he did zoomies. Now he's snoozing again.

My only concern so far is that me tried to mark twice in the house. I did catch him in the middle and brought him outside, but he didnt pee outside. I'm trying to bring him out often, but not too much so. He learned quickly that if he fusses, i'll bring him out. But he wants that every 10 minutes! So i think he and i are both a bit confused with the going out/potty thing.

Otherwise, he's a love! He is very sweet, loves loves loves scritchies and pets, and he gives wet-nose kisses, and he seems pretty comfortable for the most part. We even have an air show going on at the naval base close by, and he doesn't pay much mind to the screaming jet noise. So i think he'll be ok with thunderstorms!

Well without further ado, here's Roscoe.

roscoe2.jpg

roscoe3.jpg

roscoe1.jpg

roscoe.jpg

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Congratulations! What a good looking guy. One thing to keep in mind, because he's so fresh off the track, he may be particularly whiny and dependent on you. Right now, everything is a confusing (and potentially scary) blur, and you are the only thing he probably trusts right now. The best thing is to be patient and be consistent so that he can figure out how things work. The more structure the better. And your BF is right, be firm too. You don't want him to become *too* dependent on you too quickly, he needs to build his own self-confidence which can be tougher if he's getting all of his comfort from you.

This is a really exciting, challenging, and rewarding time. Enjoy it! And keep us all posted :colgate.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

All sounds normal , for a while if he moves you must watch him and if he starts to mark yell no then take him out , more people will see your post if you go back to everything------when he goes pee outside give him a treat instantly.

I didn't think i could double-post, so i added an update to my old thread.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

Congradulations he is so handsome. Can't wait to meet him. :yay:yay:yay

Coming off the track he may be a little nervous, so many things in his life have just changed.

If those planes from the air show today are not bothering him that is great.

If you need anything just let us know.

Molleigh sends a :kiss2

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Been following this thread, from the other board..

Glad everything is going ok so far. Sounds like the typical learning curve to me. Stay strong and don't give in to every little whine, let him know YOU are running things not him.

When I adopted Ellie a few months ago she was really trying hard to manipulate me and it was hard not to give in. But now she understands her positon in the pack and has become such a sweetheart.

Give the boy and ear rub from me too.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Thanks everyone! I'll tell ya, after my early-morning meltdown, once I started to take control, things have gotten much better. The pacing and whining has been cut down to a quarter of what it was before.

Jeez, they really do sleep a lot, don't they?? :lol He snoozes for 30 minutes or an hour, then gets up to check things out, gets a few scritchies, maybe a little walk/pee break, and then back to snoozing. wash, rinse, repeat.

:lol:

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'll tell ya, after my early-morning meltdown, once I started to take control, things have gotten much better. The pacing and whining has been cut down to a quarter of what it was before.

Jeez, they really do sleep a lot, don't they?? :lol He snoozes for 30 minutes or an hour, then gets up to check things out, gets a few scritchies, maybe a little walk/pee break, and then back to snoozing. wash, rinse, repeat.

:lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 40mph couch potato.. :lol

Edited by greg1229

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I second that.........

We're fairly sure our fella only sees 4 hours out of the day awake :D

Edited forgot to say Congratulations on your beautiful new arrival

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Congrats he is a beaut! We're staying in VB for a while and may see you out and about at the Meet & Greet's that occur at the Petsmart in the area.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest SoulsMom

OMG, he is gorgeous!! Don't worry about the pacing and whining, he's just getting used to things. And yes, they do sleep a lot! If you really want to bond quickly, I'd suggest letting him sleep in the same room with you at night. Most greyhounds don't like to be in a different room than their humans . . .

:confetti:confettiCONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :confetti:confetti

He is very handsome, it isvery rough the first few days but then he will settle right into your routine, :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Morgaynn

Congratz Lisa! He's a handsome boy. The whining does slow up a bit after they start to learn your routine. Nike still whines a bit from time to time, I keep telling her and myself Im still learning her language and as soon as I figure out what it is she wants/needs (usually she wants out or the cat has been teasing her)I do what I can to hook her up if it's warranted.

Definately get on a schedule, You don't want to be out at 4am going for a walk- unless you tend to be a night owl (like me), then by all means adjust him to your schedule. :) GL and Congratz again.