Bowel Incontanance

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

Is there such a thing? Tasha will be 13 in a little over a week. She has LS and recently I have noticed some poops on beds. I thought maybe someone was bringing in snacks from outside when I wasn't looking but yesterday I discovered that it is Tasha pooping while she is on her bed. poor girlie I was trying to get her out and she was pooping as she slowly walked to the door. Can something be done? I know the end is nearing and it is something I've been struggling with lately. I guess I will call my vet Monday and talk with her about this issue. I am really weighing my heart against her quality of life and her personal dignity. Mostly I'm just rambling right now. Thanks.

Edited by greybookends

Guest rsqdogsmom

Sadly, this condition is pretty common in the later years,

and there really is not anything to do about it.

You could put those doggy diapers on her, but that just makes for a more messy clean up and makes a bigger deal of it.

My Dobe, Murphy, was 12 1/2 and had this problem, too, for the last 2 years of her life.

After the initial shock wore off, I just accommodated her.

I put towels on my bed, on the couch, the dog beds, her chair,

and just washed them as needed.

I was so fortunate in that she had THE most "PERFECT" poos! :P

Solid, small and, literally, NO SMELL! :blink::blush

This made the whole problem so much easier to deal with!

Some of these poos were so small that we took to calling them

"POO-LETS"! :rolleyes:

She seemed to have no awareness when this was happening

and it seemed to occur mostly when she was sleeping.

The sphincter just relaxed when she was out, and the little poo-lets

just slipped out.

Sometimes, she would wake up, see the poo and just give me the MOST

offended look that seemed to say "WHERE did this come from?!!"

then she would leap away from it like she was appalled to find POO

in HER bed! :rolleyes:

Poor little girl.

I was lucky, and SHE was lucky, in that THIS was the ONLY physical

problem she had until right before the end.

As to the 'quality of life' factor, if that had been the only problem

she continued to have, since she didn't seem to notice most

of the time, it really did not impact HER at all.

Considering the minimal impact that this condition had on MY life and the other dogs' lives,

I would have GLADLY picked up that poo for 10 years if it meant

having Murphy with me for one more day.

If the poo had been liquid diarrhea ( :eek) or it was causing her pain,

THAT would have been another thing altogether.

As it was, I would NEVER have considered this factor ALONE

enough to warrant even THINKING about having her pts.

Of course, that was ME.

YOUR situation may be such that this is merely the LAST problem of many.

But, if your girl is still eating and happy and not in pain,

a little poo is not the worst thing that you could have to deal with.

NOT ever seeing your girl again, or touching her beautiful fur,

smelling her unique scent, or having her kiss you or smile for you,

THESE are the things that make EVERYTHING else worth the effort.

Because once she is GONE you will miss this FOREVER. :(

It's been three and a half years and I still miss Murphy every day.

I'll continue to miss her until we meet again at the bridge.

I hope this helps a little.

Guest TBSFlame
Is there such a thing? Tasha will be 13 in a little over a week. She has LS and recently I have noticed some poops on beds. I thought maybe someone was bringing in snacks from outside when I wasn't looking but yesterday I discovered that it is Tasha pooping while she is on her bed. poor girlie I was trying to get her out and she was pooping as she slowly walked to the door. Can something be done? I know the end is nearing and it is something I've been struggling with lately. I guess I will call my vet Monday and talk with her about this issue. I am really weighing my heart against her quality of life and her personal dignity. Mostly I'm just rambling right now. Thanks.

Tessie was doing this for the pass 6 or 7 months. Not all the time, but, it was as if she could not hold it. We had to make sure we got her out as soon as she ate. Sometimes we would find it on her bed. Thanks goodness she had rock solid poop. It is sad to watch them get old.

Have you tried the Depo-Medrol injections described by Dr. Stack on greythealth.com? IIRC a couple of GTers have seen a reduction in that symptom after treatment.

Our elderly whippet isn't quite incontinent but he isn't able to hold onto things very long, KWIM? We take him out often and if weather/wobbliness allow will keep him out for awhile so that Things Can Occur outside rather than in.

Hugs to you and your sweet girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

.... but yesterday I discovered that it is Tasha pooping while she is on her bed. poor girlie I was trying to get her out and she was pooping as she slowly walked to the door. Can something be done? I know the end is nearing and it is something I've been struggling with lately. I guess I will call my vet Monday and talk with her about this issue. I am really weighing my heart against her quality of life and her personal dignity. Mostly I'm just rambling right now. Thanks.

:) Ahhh... we adopted Journey at around 12 and a half...he was with us for 2 years..and the last 6 or 7 months he would do the same. It's funny..now I look back remember those "turd drops" rather fondly. It was like he just had no idea he was doing it.. he'd been eating..walking.. or just standing there squeaking that silly stuffed carrot at me and out the other end would come.."plop..plop.' And most of the time he'd have that goofy, lovable expression that I couldn't scold him for it! Sometimes, if I was "lucky" I'd grab a newspaper and put it under him quick as a "catch it."

At the time he still liked to go visit the nursing home..and I was afraid he'd "drop one" while there; so I got him this denim "diaper." Funny thing was.. this one resident that always seemed kind of grumpy saw him wearing it and called out.."hey..I got one of them diaper things on myself..come here and let me pet you, old boy!" From then on each time we visited the "Depends" man insisted on having "diaper dog" come stay by him while we visited. :rolleyes:

Our old girl Sandy had "sleep turds" during her last year or so. Thankfully they were very firm and almost odorless, so we just picked them up and tossed them out.

If they don't embarass/bother her, and they're easy to clean up, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Yeah, I'm afraid it's just another symptom of LS... Spiff has had problems for quite a while with "oops poops" or "stealth turds"... Spiff has NO idea that the poop is coming out, so we just make it disappear without scolding. We just try to keep him on a diet that maintains firm poop so that it is easier to clean up. It can be a big mess if he happens to sleep on top of it -- so we have 3 different sets of blankets for him and wash the bed covers frequently. (And spot-clean him frequently as well!!) Recently, I started putting a king size sheet over the carpet in the living room where his beds are. That way if he gets poop on the floor, I can just toss the sheet in the washer and not have to clean the carpet!

One other thing that helped us for a while was to take him for frequent walks, to encourage him to poop outside.

Thank goodness he hasn't had trouble with urinary incontinence so far. For me, at least, that would be a much more serious problem - and probably more unpleasant for Spiff too.

Scritches and hugs for Tasha!!

Guest greybookends

Tasha is raw fed so normally they are just small hard odorless poops but yesterday they became diarrhea and she was having some difficulty breathing. She was truly struggling yesterday and she would give me a look that seamed to say " I'm tired mom." I will call the vet in the morning and see if we can get in tomorrow afternoon for a check up.

I'm sorry to hear this Lori.

My parents' 13 year old female English Setter has started this. They didn't even notice how weak her hind end has become. I believe it's too painful for her to hold the poop position, so she just holds it until they cannot be held any longer, and pop right out!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My elkhounds had it once they got up in their 13's 14's 16's...and sometimes Snowy had it, usually on the way out the door...my vet said its not uncommon. The muscles get weak like everything else & they can't hold it.

BuyCut who would be totally embarrassed if he knew I was writing this, had it at 10 yrs old. I'd find it in the corner of his crate.

I am so sorry. I know Diane talks about "sleep turds" with her seniors. :grouphug Edited to add...maybe she has a little tummy bug right now. :grouphug

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Does Tasha take any medications? With her panting, it could be that she is feeling some pain from the LS. We first used depo-medrol injections for Spiff, which worked for about 6 months the first time, but not so well the next time. Then, Spiff spent quite some time on Rimadyl (in addition to Traumeel tablets) to help with the pain and the inflammation. That was for maybe a year... Now, unfortunately, we've had to move onto Phen-Pred, which has prednisone in it. I know it's not good to permanently give him oral steroids, but otherwise he wouldn't be able to walk anymore. Depending on how you're treating Tasha's LS, there may be more things that can be done. I guess we've been able to add about 2 years to Spiff's life by using these treatments.

I'll be thinking of you and Tasha and hoping for some positive news from the vet. It's so tough when our dear old hounds' bodies start failing.

Edited by Spiff

Guest greybookends

That's one of the things that will be discussed when I go to the vet. Up until now we haven't had to use any meds except the occasional aspirin and her glucosamine. We may need to start something. I stayed home from church today so that if she needs to go out suddenly I can get her out and not come home to a mess. Tomorrow Unca Lee will be here while I am at work and I'm sure the vet will see her tomorrow afternoon. I have never called to get one of my hounds in and had to wait.

I'm so sorry your girl is getting to that stage in her life. It's hard to deal with, but like was said - if she's in no pain and eating well it's just one more thing for you to deal with.

And you can be comforted in that she's a greyhound! We had 2 great danes (brother and sister) who did this for more than a year before they both passed away. That was like having two people pooping around the house 3 times a day. With them it mostly seemed to happen when they were getting up from lying down. Our washer really got a daily workout during this time!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have done chiro but it no longer helps and there is no one around here that does acupuncture.

Lori, there's Dr Brad Kerr in Castle Hayne but he is extremely expensive. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My old dalmatian mix, Sebau, has sleep turdlets sometimes (she'll be 14 in a month). I just pick them up w/ some toilet paper and flush them. They are small and hard, so they aren't messy. Just in case, I keep blankets on the beds that can be washed (though the boys usually run off with the blankets and hoard them all :rolleyes: in that case, I can just wash the bed covers). So far it's just the occasional turdlet and she's fine with her bladder, though she can't hold it as long as she used to. We have a dog door, so she can relieve herself while we're asleep or I'm at work.

It isn't something that's done on purpose, and it isn't a lapse in housebreaking. As they age, sometimes they lose control back there, just like people can. They don't even realize it's happening, or if they do, it's too late and the turd's already popped out. It might help to try to give some extra fiber to make them a bit more firm and try to get her out to poop a bit more often, but especially during sleep when the muscles relax, they just happen.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest greybookends

Well the vet said with the exception of her back end she is in remarkably good shape for her age. She even put on a little weight from her last visit. We are starting her on 75mg of Deramaxx once a day as needed. We are going to start with that and proceed from there. Nothing to do about the stealth turds, but if we can get rid of the diarrhea I can deal with those. :)

Guest paulamariez

Our Siberian Husky Nikki had that very same problem, but most of the time, she would just be walking and the little poops would just fall out. Our vet said too, that it stemmed from the loss of nerves in her back, basically just from old age (she was 19 yrs. old when we lost her!) I used to keep those cheapo white paper plates, placed strategically around the house (like, her walking path) and if I saw her butt drop a bit, (her sign of what was to come) I'd grab a paper plate and put it underneath her, and presto! No mess. Dump the offending turds and toss the paper plate! I will keep your sweetheart in my prayers!

Good news and all being healthy but her back! I hope the Deramaxx helps!!

DH and I joke that all Spiff needs is a rear-end transplant -- he's the same as Tasha - healthy as a younger dog - except for the LS.

:dogcookie :dogcookie :dogcookie

Edited by Spiff