My Cousin Vinny And The Hand Of Fate...

Guest monasmom

Guest monasmom

Hi GT!

I've been lurking for a while, and I've met a bunch of you already (TBH, GP, Greyhound Adventures), but I thought it was probably about time I became an official GT poster. :wubsite

This is going to be a long one. I'm sorry. Maybe I should post it in installments. Bear with me. It will be worth it in the end. :colgate

This has been quite the whirlwind summer: In June I lost my Peanut-mutt to old age. :weep A couple of weeks later, still devasted and jonesing for a dog nose, I decided to visit Greyhound Friends. I had long wanted my next dog to be a retired racer--but figured it was too soon for a new dog. DH and I walked a few greyt houndies, but nothing clicked. We talked with LC for a while, discussing what and when would be the best adoption situation for us. Went home that night and cried. No Peanut. No greyhound. Stuffies are just no substitute for warm furry heads.

Early (early) the next morning GFriends called back: Just after we left THE PERFECT HOUND come in on the bus (the greyhound bus--har har) from Florida. We schlepped back out to Hopkinton and fell in love at first sight with beautiful Mona Lisa (incidentally--and everyone we meet agrees--she is the most beautiful greyhound girl ever). As it was Sunday night (and she had yet to be spayed), we made arrangements to come back and get her that Friday.

THAT NIGHT, we were still buzzing with the excitement and nervousness of adopting such a huge dog (Peanut was only 25 lbs and Mona is about 60), watching an old movie on TV: My Cousin Vinny. As we were talking, Marisa Tomei's character takes the stand in the trial, and her full name was revealed: MONA LISA Vito. :jaw Well! That erased any doubts we might have had. It was fate. Mona Lisa was ours!

Being obsessive and compulsive, I quickly became an expert on greyhounds. In short order, we joined walks with Trail Bound Hounds, Greyhound Adventures, volunteered for a M&G at the Marshfield Fair, and signed up for Dewey!! (Can't wait!)

Of course, after becoming completely addicted (obsessed--truly) with this amazing breed, I decided we absolutely had to adopt a companion for Mona. So.... less than a month and a half after bringing home Mona, we met our goofy, sweet (never was there a sweeter dog) boy. He came to a Greyhound Adventures walk at Castle Island, and he needed a home. (He had been with a family up in Maine for two years, but they couldn't keep him.) The instant I saw this ENORMOUS dopey dog, I was in love. Learning his name clinched the deal: Vince (aka Vinny, as in, My cousin Vinny). Yes, fate dropped heavy Vinster right in our laps. And we love him love him love him. :inlove

Phew! If you are still with me, you must really be putting off doing some odious task (procrastination--that's what this board is best for).

Pics to come, I promise (I'm obsessive about that, too).

Thanks for reading!!

Laura :wave

Loved your story, welcome and congratulations on your new furkids, greyhounds have a way of turning us humans into obsession w/them within hours!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest FrostyBottoms

Welcome from Chicago! Guess what! I have an enormous dopey Vinny too! Your Vinny and my Vinny look like they could be cousins! What's Vinny's racing name????

Guest monasmom
Welcome from Chicago! Guess what! I have an enormous dopey Vinny too! Your Vinny and my Vinny look like they could be cousins! What's Vinny's racing name????

Vinny's racing name is Bar Boss (he came from Wisconsin). He IS Mona's cousin (his grandfather is her great-grandfather--we were shocked and pleased until we noticed that said ancestor had over 3,000 offspring :blink: ).

Welcome to GT from SoCal. :wave Yep, you've been bitten by the gh bug. :D

Lovely houndies you've got there. :wub::wub:

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Wonderful story! Welcome!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest FrostyBottoms

Vinny's racing name is Bar Boss (he came from Wisconsin). He IS Mona's cousin (his grandfather is her great-grandfather--we were shocked and pleased until we noticed that said ancestor had over 3,000 offspring :blink: ).

Your Vinny is an Unruly boy too!!!! They are cousins! If you can understand hound speak, you should go into the Unruly Boys Chat Club under Cute & Funny......

Welcome cousin!

:wave Great story - look forward to pictures.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest gretzky

:banana Hi from Burlington! We were on the Castle Island walk when you got to meet Vinny. I'm so happy he found a home with you and Mona (who is as lovely as Mom says). He deserves a better life and it certainly sounds like he's on the fast track to paradise! Hope we'll see you on another walk soon. Maybe Greyhound Planet Day?

Guest monasmom

Your Vinny is an Unruly boy too!!!! They are cousins! If you can understand hound speak, you should go into the Unruly Boys Chat Club under Cute & Funny......

Welcome cousin!

What, pray tell, does it take to be an Unruly boy? (Aside from being able to read houndspeak--no easy task.)

Laura that is a greyt story and it really does sound like fate! I'm thrilled that Vinny is working out in your home and it is amazing how quickly these dogs take over our lives! :P

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Congratulations ... sorry I missed this intro post or else I would haven't been so shocked to see Vinny next to Mona in Cute and Funny! Beautiful bookends.

I'm so happy for you and Brian. You are now officially crazy like the rest of us - but it's a good crazy! :neener There's nothing wrong with passion and devotion for these wonderful dogs... it doesn't take long, does it?! :P

Thanks again to Michael (we :heart Michael) for taking Vinny from the situation and there's no doubt the stars aligned for you in having him brought into your life the way he was.

I look forward to seeing the entire family soon on another walk and more posts here on GT!

Maria

Rizzo & Kiwi

:welcome Hi and welcome from So Cal! Love your story and the whole fate thing you've got going on. :lol:

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound