Introducing Lamorge Flower!

Guest Gert

Well, DH and I went and picked up Flower this morning! :yay:yay:yay

I took today off, even though I work from home, just to help her settle in. We walked her around the back yard until she tinkled, then brought her in to see the house (up 3 stairs, which she took like a pro). I have hardwood floors throughout, and was a bit nervous about how she'd handle them. She did fine....didn't lay down for probably 2 hours........THEN she moved too fast and slipped.....now she's FREAKED on the hardwood! She's staying on the area rug. I've got to go tomorrow and buy some throw rugs for the poor pup. :( DH is very worried that she won't adjust. I keep telling him that it will just take her some time, and some extra rugs. Anyone have any other suggestions for making her feel more comfortable on the floors??

Besides the hardwood floors, I have a mirrored wall in the dining room.....she keeps wondering what's up with that doggie. It kinda makes me sad that we don't have another pup for her! -_-

We haven't introduced her to the kitties yet. They are in my office (she did smell at the door, though). I plan to introduce them tomorrow.

She ate most of her dinner, and cried when we ate our's. I took her out again, across the dreaded hardwood....and she pooped and peed again.

Well, without further ado.....here's Flower! :wub:

At GAP:

Flower_GotchaDay1.jpg

Comfortable enough to play with a stuffie:

Flower_GotchaDay2.jpg

Resting! It's been a looong day!

Flower_GotchaDay7.jpg

Thanks,

Stacy

edited to remove "thumbs down" post icon.....not sure how that got there!?!?!

Edited by Gert

Congrats! :confetti Flower is a very pretty girl and sounds like she's doing just fine. :) A few more throw rugs will help her build some confidence on the slippery floors. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Lovely girl -- congratulations!

We get our cheap rubber mats at Home Depot / Lowe's. Not great decor, but nonskid and can be hosed down if they get grubby.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, the first night is over......and, I can't believe how GOOD she's been!!

She slept through the night without a peep! Woke me up at 6:00 am (the time the kennel let her out), went outside, did her business, got a drink and then came back in and went back to sleep until I woke her up at 8:30.

We took a short walk...then into her kennel for some breakfast (she's eating, but, still not a lot).

Oh, and she hasn't been as freaked by the floors this morning! :yay

Thanks for all of your responses, advice and welcomes!!

Stacy

Guest Spencers_Greyt

What a beautiful little girl! Congratulations! :confetti I have mirrored walls too and it made me sad too when I first got Spencer because he kept going to the mirrors and tried to be with the dog in the mirror. When I picked him up, he was glued to another Grey that was getting adopted that night as well. I felt bad but he settled in with Emmy fairly quickly although he ignored for for a while because I don't think he thought of her as a dog!

Congratulations, and welcome to the lovely Flower! :yay

My hound was really scared of wood floors when he came to live with us. He was straight off the track and had never experienced them; then when he slipped on them he was terrified.

I bought a few inexpensive rubber-backed bath rugs and placed them strategically so that he would have a lifeline of sorts linking him to various area rugs in the house. As his confidence grew, I was able to remove them.

Make sure if you get any small rugs that they are rubber backed (or you will have to buy the rubber rug pad for underneath) because as you know, if it has just a woven type underside, that will slide on the wood floors, too!

We also forced Toby to face up to his fears by making him go in and out of the front door (having to cross through the dreaded wood floor foyer) for his walks everyday. Otherwise he would have avoided them forever.

I would put him on his leash and we would cross the floor together, with me reassuring him the whole way. Just give it time and I'm sure she'll be just fine!!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I have mirrored walls too and it made me sad too when I first got Spencer because he kept going to the mirrors and tried to be with the dog in the mirror.

We don't have another dog, and so far, she seems to be okay with that. She's not going to the mirror it as much today....thank goodness!

My hound was really scared of wood floors when he came to live with us. He was straight off the track and had never experienced them; then when he slipped on them he was terrified.

I found your post about Toby's floor fears. There was some great advice given. She's doing really well on the floors today, but, I know one slip will set her back. I plan to get some of the rubber-backed bath mats to give her more confidence. Holding her collar seems to help her, too.

Welcome home, Flower. Congratulations, Stacey! She seems to be settling in nicely.

Thanks, Cathie....I think she's doing really well for never being in a home before! She is a bit unsure about Chuck, though. I think his size and deep voice really make her uneasy. I tell him to not look at her, talk as high-pitched as he can, and let her come to him....and to be PATIENT with her! We don't know much about her background. She was only as GAP for 9 days. I think he should probably take her on some walks without me, too.....maybe that will build her confidence in him??

Stacy

I wouldn't be having your husband change his voice! He can't keep that up forever! Have him feed her and walk her, and she'll learn to love him in no time! She sounds like a doll!

Cute name too.

And welcome from Baaaaaaaaaaaastan!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

She's a beauty! Her collar is so pretty.

We have that same stuffie (green dog). It's a favorite here.

Congrats!

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I wouldn't be having your husband change his voice! He can't keep that up forever! Have him feed her and walk her, and she'll learn to love him in no time! She sounds like a doll!

Cute name too.

And welcome from Baaaaaaaaaaaastan!

Thanks! Today (day 5), she's already so much more comfortable with him. I think the walking and him feeding her has helped......I think the walking her has helped the most, though. After reading some of the posts here about shy dogs, I'm thinking our girl is actually pretty confident.

BTW, I love readin' George's posts! :lol:

She's a beauty! Her collar is so pretty.

We have that same stuffie (green dog). It's a favorite here.

Congrats!

Yeah, she likes that green doggie a lot. She's already put two small holes in him, which I had to sew up! :rolleyes:

Stacy

Flower's mom

Flower is beautiful! She will adjust and every day/week you're see her bloom (sorry for the pun!). Our big guy, Charlie, took many months to be himself and even today after a one year, he seems to continue to grow and show his true personality.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Flower is beautiful! She will adjust and every day/week you're see her bloom (sorry for the pun!). Our big guy, Charlie, took many months to be himself and even today after a one year, he seems to continue to grow and show his true personality.

Thank you! We sure think so! :wub:

She is really starting to get more relaxed. She even did a few zoomies, while tossing her rope bone, this morning! I'm so happy to see that!! :banana

Guest RainShine

Congratulations on your beautiful girl! I also have hardwood floors throughout my entire house and stairway. I went to Costco and bought a bunch of non-slip throw rugs (they are attractive too). It worked perfectly! Good luck!

Well, DH and I went and picked up Flower this morning! :yay:yay:yay

I took today off, even though I work from home, just to help her settle in. We walked her around the back yard until she tinkled, then brought her in to see the house (up 3 stairs, which she took like a pro). I have hardwood floors throughout, and was a bit nervous about how she'd handle them. She did fine....didn't lay down for probably 2 hours........THEN she moved too fast and slipped.....now she's FREAKED on the hardwood! She's staying on the area rug. I've got to go tomorrow and buy some throw rugs for the poor pup. :( DH is very worried that she won't adjust. I keep telling him that it will just take her some time, and some extra rugs. Anyone have any other suggestions for making her feel more comfortable on the floors??

Besides the hardwood floors, I have a mirrored wall in the dining room.....she keeps wondering what's up with that doggie. It kinda makes me sad that we don't have another pup for her! -_-

We haven't introduced her to the kitties yet. They are in my office (she did smell at the door, though). I plan to introduce them tomorrow.

She ate most of her dinner, and cried when we ate our's. I took her out again, across the dreaded hardwood....and she pooped and peed again.

Well, without further ado.....here's Flower! :wub:

At GAP:

Flower_GotchaDay1.jpg

Comfortable enough to play with a stuffie:

Flower_GotchaDay2.jpg

Resting! It's been a looong day!

Flower_GotchaDay7.jpg

Thanks,

Stacy

edited to remove "thumbs down" post icon.....not sure how that got there!?!?!

Guest houndstooth4

She's a beautiful girl, and I love her name! Congratulations!

She'll settle in and relax as long as you and your husband do. Soon you'll swear she'd been at your house forever!