Fevers

Shanti had a rough night last night. She kept crying at the bottom of the stairs. I came down and stayed the night with her on the couch. She was really hot. I wiped her down with a cool damp rag and lowered a fan to blow on her. What else can I do? Can you give them anything?

I don't have anything to take her temperature with, nor do I really know how to do it. But she was HOT. I am guessing this is a Valley Fever thing, but want her comfortable.

The Girls

Dang!! No advice here with a fever, but I remember that Thedogfather had some really good pointers on cooling a dog down, but naturally I don't remember it all. I hope he sees this thread. Hoping she feels better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I wondered on the aspirin, but she is on other stuff...and the vet is closed. She feels a little cooler today.

I remember the thread about overheating. I remember he posted, but I can't remember what was good or bad. With my luck I did it wrong. Something was said about watering them down a certain way cooks them like a steamer. It was a heat stroke thread. I will have to search. But do you treat that the same?

The Girls

I wondered on the aspirin, but she is on other stuff...and the vet is closed. She feels a little cooler today.

I remember the thread about overheating. I remember he posted, but I can't remember what was good or bad. With my luck I did it wrong. Something was said about watering them down a certain way cooks them like a steamer. It was a heat stroke thread. I will have to search. But do you treat that the same?

The only thing I remember was I think he said not to pour cold water over the back. He's probably working but I'll direct him to this thread.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Cool them in their "pits" and tummys and feet. A fan on her should also do fine.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Cool them in their "pits" and tummys and feet. A fan on her should also do fine.

That is what I did. I use to do this to my horse when they were hot. So I figured it might work. I left her back dry.

She did not want to come upstairs and sleep, nor was she going to let me go back to my bed. :blush

The Girls

Guest TheDoggfather

If you're going to give her aspirin.. pleasemake sure you're giving her baby aspirin. The low dosage one... Sequoia was icky a while back and Mama Caffie gave me explicit instructions to give her nothing stronger than that. Seeing as how she raises poopies, I took her advice and Sequoia pulled around in a couple days.

Now, as far as Shanti's concerned... if she's hot/warm to the touch, there's nothing wrong with getting her completely wet. The thing with the back was in relation to walking a dog on a hot day. And as has already been pointed out, the most important points to get cool are the chest, neck, "arm-pits", belly, feet and particularly the crotch (for lack of a better term). Reason being the crotch is because there's two big ol' arteries down there that pump blood throughout the body... get it cool down there and it'll help to cool her down. If you have the ability to get her into a wading pool/tub/bath, do so. The quicker you can lower her core temperature to a more normal one, the better.

Edited by TheDoggfather

Guest GiJenn51

I like using ice packs or some what frozen towels. I make sure the groin is done first, along the belly in to the armpits, and get the side of the head neck and ears.

It takes the blood apporx. 1 -2 minutes to completely circulate through the body. So 15 minutes every hour should be fine depending on the fever. Also you want to watch for "tenting" of the skin since a fever can dehydrate so fast.

Taking a temp is easy. Rectal thermometer. You can get a cheap digital plastic one at Walgreen's for $5.95 or so.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Virgina has a temp also & yesterday I put her in the tub with the cool shower on, She just stood there while I let water pour over her. My show is on a long hose so I could do the easily do the underside. It must have felt good because she just stood there & calmy let me cool her. I've also put cold wash cloths on the tummy side when the dog is on a pillow & this works too. Even dogs that don't like to get baths or rained on seem ok with this. Hope Shanti feels better soon.

Haven't you ever seen your vet take a temp? Couldn't be easier! Buy yourself a rectal thermometer, and stick it up the butt a bit, hold for a minute, viola!

I guess I was hoping for a ear thermometer. ;)

A lot of people don't know how, and that includes me!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg