Cofax Needs Advice - Blood In Urine....

I took her to the ER vet in Orchard Park (NY) - she is peeing red. They took a sample - they have the only lab around but it closed at 1pm and we were there at 3 - yea - I'm teed off at that - another story another time - so we have to wait until tomorrow. They took an xray to check for stones - that was fine. He asked if we wanted to start an antibodic or wait until the results tomorrow - we'll wait. She's eating fine - seems a bit uncomfortable at times but that could be a few things. poop - is a bit soft - runs last night. He wants to wait for results for infection then go for MRI if needed to check for tumors etc.

If anyone has any suggestions....... please advice. Thanks.

Bob & I were suppose to help in the transport of 2 Brittneys from Ohio to Ct for medical purposes when I spotted this with Cofax. Bob did the run with my brother. Thank GOD for big brothers!

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Guest lanielovesgreys

This happened to Schumi on Tuesday. It was a bacterial infection. They prescribed clovamax and he's already back to normal. Of course, I need to finish the antibiotics, but he's happy as a clam. Freaked me out, too, and I had to go to the e-vet. $400!! Ack. Here's hoping your girl's problem is that easy to solve.

Why did you wait on the ABTs? One night of meds wouldn't have hurt regardless of the outcome and if it is something that ABTs could help with, that's 12+ hours less of possible discomfort for your pooch?

Sending good thoughts

Yup. UTI's are painful!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Definitely start antibiotics ASAP. UTI's are extremely painful and can get really bad really quick.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

no advice, just hugs and scritches - keeping you in our thoughts and prayers that this turns out to be something quick and simple to fix - it's always so hard when we are worried about those that can't truly tell us what hurts or what is wrong. please keep us posted.

no advice, just hugs and scritches - keeping you in our thoughts and prayers that this turns out to be something quick and simple to fix - it's always so hard when we are worried about those that can't truly tell us what hurts or what is wrong. please keep us posted.

Guest jade1046

Sending good thoughts that all turns out well for Cofax. I used that hospital several years ago when my poodle Bubba was ill and they were wonderful. I'm glad you got things straightened out with management. Sounds like you're having a pretty crappy week so far - I sure hope things improve. :bighug

Cofax's fan club are thinking about her. I hope they did a urine culture and this is something that will be easily fixed! Please give her a big hug from us Tina

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If she is still having blood in her urine, I'd give her a course of antibiotics regardless of the culture results.

Hope it turns out to be just a big weird nothing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

If the blood shows up again, I would use antibiotics as Batmom suggests. Not all UTI's show up in the tests.

he doesn't want to medicate when not needed - so the body won't reject the meds when it is needed

What do you mean by the body rejecting the meds? Are you talking about antibiotic resistance?

If you hit the bacteria hard and with a high dosage, resistance should not be a problem.

Guest LindsaySF
There is nothing to treat - no bacteria - no infection - nothing to treat..... don't see a need for med.

What Batmom and I are saying is, tests for UTI's can sometimes give a false negative, when in actuality there IS bacteria in there.

The same thing with fecal exams. False negatives happen all the time, but if the dog is not getting better, deworming is recommended anyway. Sometimes the dog gets better after treatment for worms, so you can deduce that the dog did in fact have worms, the fecal exam missed something.

Guest SoulsMom

Have you done an ultrasound? I haven't read all the posts, but Archie (non-grey) was had blood in his urine a few years ago. No infection so they did an ultrasound and found what looked like tumors in his bladder. They scanned all his other organs and they came up clean. So we did surgery and it turned out to be polyps caused by bladder stones. He had a third of his bladder removed and hasn't had any problems since.

I'd get an ultrasound done and go from there . . . .sending tons of good thoughts

Edited by SoulsMom

T, no advice here but you know Cofax is in our prayers. Let's hope it was just a fluke and it's nothing.The waiting game is the worst!! Give that beautiful girl a huge hug from her cousins!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

.... but a month of just watching scares me.

No way I could wait a month if I thought it could be cancer. I'd follow up with Dr. Couto & following his advise, either pursue testing or get her on the antibiotics in case it's one of those invisible UTI's. I know you don't want to stress her further, but I just couldn't take the chance....

I :hope it's something very simple.

Here's a link on bladder cancer.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest MorganKonaAlex

It's not exactly the same as your experience, but thought I'd tell you about it. Kona had repeated blood in the urine despite multiple rounds of antibiotics. An ultrasound found nothing. I took her to Tufts when blood continued. They found a mass in her kidney. It was too close to the renal artery to do a biopsy. The Vets thought it was some kind of cancer. We made the decision to remove the kidney to buy her some time. The kidney was removed and turned out to be an infarction, not cancer. We don't know what caused the infarction in the first place but we probably didn't need to remove the kidney either.

This is scary. It's how my husband's bladder cancer started. The only thing I could find that had blood in the urine with no pain as symptoms was eating beets or bladder cancer. I don't know exactly what they did to diagnose it, as the hospital was 400 km away and I had to stay home with kids, but his doctor zeroed in on it immediately, had him in for surgery within 3 days, and removed as much as possible as it had not yet invaded the duct to the kidneys or the bladder wall. (If it had, it would have spread much faster). He survived another 12 years (and 60 more surgeries, some reconstructive, the chemo and radiation did so much damage).

I hope and pray it is something much more easily treatable. I will watch this thread with my heart in my mouth and many prayers! :bighug