A Special Needs Survey

A Survey on Special Needs  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a Special Needs dog?

• No, my dog has never had any special needs issues.
    • Yes, my dog was healthy but has developed special needs over time.
    • No, I adopted my dog as a special needs dog but he has since overcome the issue.
    • Yes, I adopted my dog as a special needs dog.
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. What classifies your dog as a Special Needs dog?

• No special needs.
    • Blind
    • Deaf
    • Siezures
    • Arthritis
    • Permanent Limp
    • Lifetime Medication
    • Extreme Behavioral Issues
    • Other (please explain)
  3. 3. Did special needs issues arise with age?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too young to tell
    • Other (please explain)

Belle was pre-adopted and did not develope seizures until she was about 3 one year after we got her

EZ was a controlled seizure pup when we adopted him and he was also a bounce. don't know if he was bounced because of the seizures. I wonder though

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest meakah

Koda: came as an extreme spook. She has come leaps and bounds over the past 5 years but I would still consider her special needs since she would starve to death if you didn't cater to her spookiness. She has since developed Pannus therefore lifetime meds....if you consider that 'special needs'. I don't really.

Raven and Argus both came with lifetime medication requirements for hypothyroidism. I guess "special needs" is a subjective term. I don't consider giving a twice daily, inexpensive pill to be a true special needs situation. If a dog would die if it missed a dose or if the medication was extremely expensive or difficult to administer (i.e. sub-q or intravenous), that would be special needs.

Raven was a spook when we got her and still is very, very shy and easily frightened. I would consider that special needs, though I've certainly seen worse. She's gotten a lot better.

Tiny was special needs when I got him in that he was morbidly obese and had some behavioral problems. He could hardly even walk without panting. He needed a very strict diet and controlled exercise. He is perfectly fit and healthy now. More challenging were the space aggression and biting issues. That I would certainly consider special needs, without question. But now those problems have pretty much been resolved and I would no longer consider Tiny a special needs hound.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Our first dog (Keeshond) was definitely special needs at first: she weighed 72 lbs and should have been half that. We got her weight down and she was a whole new dog!

Monty (grey) was a dog who was retired (before racing) because he had "a seizure." Or maybe many of them, we really didn't get much information from the track. 3.5 months later he had cluster grand mal seizures (6 in 24 hours) and now is on phenobarb. He is now nearing 18 months seizure free. We came here and did LOTS of research on seizures in dogs before we brought him home, so we were prepared for the worst case scenario.

Allie (keeshond) was supposedly this almost perfect dog...but she has special needs too. She has problems communicating - she growls for happiness, playfulness, fear, and aggression and they all sound exactly the same, so we've had to learn to watch her closely to read what she means. And sometimes it's still hard to tell. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention Her Majesty Queen Softee was a spook when we got her and hated men. The only two men in her life was David and my grandson Ricky. When we started doing Pet Therapy with her she started to realize that men are okay. She would take off upstairs if a man (even my sons) we in the house more than 5 minutes. :lol

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

• 2 months later...
Guest TBSFlame

I guess Flame is sort of special needs. He does walk with a bad limp but it has never stopped. I think it made him harded to adopt. He was my foster and I would show him to people and they would see his bad leg. His foot is fused together and doesn't more and there is a curve to his leg. It was like they wanted a perfect dog. I could see the look on his face change when they would spot his leg. I finally got tired of it and just kept him. :) He is happy and doing well here for the last 5 years.

Our Galgo was considered special needs as he was severely abused and tortured in Spain and became extremely scared of people. We adopted him in this condition, but he has for the most part overcome his extreme fear of people as he realises that he does not get abused anymore.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

• 5 months later...
Guest bigorangedog

Palu - broken hock that was never set at the track, permanent limp

Crisco - returned from 3 homes for separation anxiety, supposedly a "vicious" dog (my sweet sweet baby)

Tobey - returned for housetraining issues

Chester - has Pannus; and was an escape artist and had gotten hit by a car. Had sutures in 24 places when he came home to us.

Annie - Nothing wrong with her, just a bounceback, was a failed foster

Tanner - Supposedly was peeing in the house (never have I had such a reliably housetrained dog) and was returned at 9.5 yrs old

Brad - Bit a child who was "petting" him by hitting him in the head (loves my 5-yr-old daughter)

Sly - No issues, just 10.5 at adoption time

Apollo - No issues, 9.5 at adoption time, although he does have lipomas that have needed to be removed

Whitey - adopted at age 11, diagnosed with osteo 2 weeks later, has been a tripod since Friday

Hank - no issues. He was an accident.

ETA - almost forgot! My 5-yr-old human daughter...adopted at age 4, has cerebral palsy and does not use her right arm. :-)

Edited by bigorangedog

I don't really count Patrick as special needs, but since you asked about ongoing medication he does need soloxine (and can't take the generic) everyday and he needs tramadol and cosequine everyday for his arthritis (that set in about 7 years old). We've found ways to minimize the costs--ordering a year's worth of thyroid meds and cosequine at a time, buying arthritis medication from Target instead of the vet. But really, given the frequency of those conditions I wasn't surpised at all to have to deal with them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

All of our greys were "healthy" when we adopted them. Since then, Darcy and Bonny now have incontinence issues. Both are on Proin and will likely stay on Proin for life. All of our greys also have arthritis which require daily supplements (Synovi G3). Both issues are age related. We don't mind one bit - old age issues happen to all of us.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

• 1 month later...