Heartworm Preventative

Guest jturchi2

Guest jturchi2

I have a general question...I missed giving Dye her interceptor by about a week, but then I gave it to her. Should I have her tested for heart worms? She in on interceptor 12 months out of the year...I was just late giving it to her this month. She was tested back in May for heart worm and came up negative.

Any thoughts because I'm not totally sure how heart worm preventative works, but would love to know! Also, I need to know if I should take Dye in to see her vet to get tested tomorrow.

Thanks!

i was told that the heartworm preventative actually "covers" the dog for about 2 weeks past the 30 days. I believe monthly dosage is easier to remember. I actually give it to my 3 every 40 days. I simply count and mark it on the calendar. But any doubts, ask the your vet!

Guest MAXNAV

I missed the scheduled dose by a week once, and I just gave the dose when I remembered. I didn't think it would be a problem for them. My vet never said I needed to get the dogs tested if I missed a dose. Um....this is a good question. Let's see what people say.

Guest longdogs

She should be fine if it's just a week and she's on a good monthly. You get a little more leeway with the ivermectin-based products but I wouldn't worry. Missing the old daily doses was more problematic.

No you don't need to worry.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest jturchi2

I used to have Dye on Heartguard Plus and then my vet suggested that I switch her to Interceptor to protect her against whipworm. Should I switch her back to Heartguard Plus?

Thank you for all of the information so far. I'm starting to feel a little better!

We went 3.5 weeks (I could not believe it. I give them so many freaking supplements I lost track. I feel like a chemist at meal time) and the vet said, no problem.

We just picked up where we left off.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I completely forgot one month. Never had an issue.

Edited to add - mine is on Tri Heart Plus I think. I can never remember what it's called, but it's not Interceptor. I know that.

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest KennelMom
i was told that the heartworm preventative actually "covers" the dog for about 2 weeks past the 30 days. I believe monthly dosage is easier to remember. I actually give it to my 3 every 40 days. I simply count and mark it on the calendar.

You are correct. HW works retroactively and the reach back is more than 30 days...that's just the easiest time frame for humans to remember. The 1st, 15th or whatever/same day every month.

Guest MAXNAV

So we could actually give Interceptor every 40 days instead of 30? Now that's interesting. How do you guys find this stuff out? My vet would've never volunteered this info. I guess maybe I need to get "internet cracking" and research more?

Thanks all!

Guest KennelMom
So we could actually give Interceptor every 40 days instead of 30? Now that's interesting. How do you guys find this stuff out? My vet would've never volunteered this info. I guess maybe I need to get "internet cracking" and research more?

Thanks all!

My SIL who is a vet explained it all to me a couple years ago. However, read the manufacturers insert if you have it. I believe you have to give it as directed (once per month) in order to benefit from the reimbursement policy of the manufacturer should your dog come up + for heartworms or any of the others your particular pill covers. No vet I know would recommend giving HW prevention other than as directed and recommended by the manufacturer. But, you can ;)

Edited by KennelMom

Guest longdogs

Thanks all!

My SIL who is a vet explained it all to me a couple years ago. However, read the manufacturers insert if you have it. I believe you have to give it as directed (once per month) in order to benefit from the reimbursement policy of the manufacturer should your dog come up + for heartworms or any of the others your particular pill covers. No vet I know would recommend giving HW prevention other than as directed and recommended by the manufacturer. But, you can ;)

That depends. Firstly the dose is calibrated to provide protection at the top of the weight range covered, your dog might be smaller and get a relatively higher dose.That might amount to more protection but it really depends how long it persists in your dog's system. Secondly, some of the products are more effective against a particular heartworm larval stage than others. It is possible to mistime the dose and permit older larvae to survive. I understand ivermectin-based products give you more latitude against the development stages. Thirdly, by stretching it out you lose any wriggle-room if you do forget to give a pill on time. I therefore prefer to stick to the monthly schedule. You can buy products (in Australia) that advertise 6-week protection. It is not clear to me whether these drugs actually give ongoing protection over the specified period, the efficacy dropping over time, or whether they are simply worming doses that need to be repeated at intervals to kill larvae at sensitive stages.

The problem is that if you give it every 40 days... if you are late by a week now you may be in trouble... plus dosing every 40 days makes it harder to remember vs. giving it the 1st of every month (or 15th or whatever day you do).

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I recently read an article on Heartworm medicine in a back issue of Celebrating Greyhounds magazine. The way it was explained was that the drug only stays in the dog's system for a couple of days, at which time it works retroactively to kill all larva up to 45 days old. As has been mentioned the drug manufacturers and vets recommend the monthly schedule because its easier for people to remember. Also if you happen to forget say a week than your still safe, because the dose you give him will still kill all larva within that timeframe. However if you do carry the dosages out further you are risking forgetting a dose and only having a few more days to give your dog that missed dose and the larva still be at the age range that they would not survive

Judy,

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, and Bruiser

Guest MAXNAV

Thanks all!

Ah. Guess I'll stick with my 30 day dose. My old fried brain can remember it better monthly anyway. Thanks for the info!