Sadie Has Valley Fever

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

I want to throw up.

What do I need to know about this?

The vet said that it was a positive titer at one of thirty two... don't really know what that means either.

Please help.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FAQ - What is a Valley Fever test/titer and what does it mean?

A Valley Fever test, Cocci test, or Cocci titer checks the blood to see if your dog is making antibodies against the Valley Fever fungus. If the test is positive, it means your dog has been exposed to the fungus.

If the Valley Fever test is positive, the laboratory then performs a titer. The titer measures how much antibody your dog is making against the fungus. A titer is obtained by doubling dilutions of the positive blood (1:4, 1:8, 1:16, 1:32 . . .) until the test becomes negative. The titer that is reported to your veterinarian is the last positive dilution.

In broad terms, a higher titer is equated with more severe disease. However, some very sick animals have low titers, or even negative tests. For these dogs, other diagnostic tests are necessary for diagnosing the illness. X-rays, blood cell counts, biopsies, and microscopic examination of cellular specimens are a few of the tests your veterinarian may need to run.

Asymptomatic dogs (infected but not showing any illness) may also have low titers, such as 1:4 or 1:8, sometimes 1:16. The titer is helpful in diagnosing Valley Fever in sick dogs, but other tests are usually needed to confirm diagnosis.

Titers usually reduce over time as the animal’s disease regresses. Dogs that start with low titers (1:4 or less than 1:4) may undergo little change in the titer. This is probably not to be interpreted that your dog is not getting well. Monitoring your dog’s symptoms and other tests, such as blood counts and x-rays, will be better determinants of improvement in cases with low titers.

Some dogs will remain positive with a low titer for life. Continued treatment and monitoring of these animals needs to be determined by your veterinarian on a case by case basis.

I found this information at http://www.vfce.arizona.edu/VFID-diagnosis.htm

OK, this is actually a (relatively) good thing. VF is quite treatable and the meds are much less expensive than they used to be. Many people on here have dogs with this (Amanda, for one). We never want our babies to be sick, but if they are, treatable is better. I do know what you mean though, about feeling sick. :bighug What did your vet say about treatment?

Crap! She has the same titer I think as Shanti. Shanti may have been 1:35. I will send you all the links I have. What medicine are they putting her on? Itraconazole or Fluconazole? I can send you all my list on that too.

The good news is that they caught it early! We missed it for years. :( They can get better, but do tend to relapse. It is something you will need to pay attention to forever. Good news is it is not transferrable to other dogs or people.

Hugs to you!

The Girls

Guest BlackandBrindle

I don't know. I am going to pick up the prescription before they close today.

I don't know why I'm freaking out about this, but I am. Seriously sitting here crying at my desk.

Vet said we put her on meds for three months and test again to see where the titers are at that point.

Treatable is good I know this. I just feel terrible that she's probably been in pain for a long time and I didn't even think to check for this, ya know.

Also, I feed raw so do I need to change her diet now?

I don't know. I am going to pick up the prescription before they close today.

I don't know why I'm freaking out about this, but I am. Seriously sitting here crying at my desk.

Vet said we put her on meds for three months and test again to see where the titers are at that point.

Treatable is good I know this. I just feel terrible that she's probably been in pain for a long time and I didn't even think to check for this, ya know.

Also, I feed raw so do I need to change her diet now?

It will be ok. Phoenix had and was treated for a tick disease also (babesia). They are very treatable, especially when caught early. I freaked out also, but everything was fine after treatment.

You couldn't have known any earlier than now. If you're like me, you never even heard of tick disease before adopting greyhounds. The great thing is that you had Sadie tested and diagnosed. Now she can be treated and be well again. You did good :)

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

As others have said it's not a "bad" disease to have. I was hoping and praying that all of Spencer's gastrointestinal and hip weakness was caused by Valley Fever because I know it's easily treatable and affordable and is not fatal. Unfortunately this was not the problem with Spencer and so far he has never been diagnosed with what is causing his problems.

Don't cry and be sad. If Sadie was in a lot of pain you would have known it. You're not a bad pet-parent! She will feel fine after she starts her medication and will be her old self soon.

Guest BlackandBrindle

It just explains so much. Why she will suddenly not want to go on walks. Why she is so much slower and less enthusiastic sometimes.

I know I am wallowing. I'll be fine by the time I go home, I just have to be upset here and not at home.

I'd read the horror stories of VF and know that there are dogs who succumb to it, so that's why I'm freaking out.

Sadie's going to be fine. I know this. I do. I'll be fine. :blush

Obviously I'm not a vet, but I really don't think Sadie has been in pain a long time. NOT without you knowing. You would have known. You're catching it early, and that's the key to being able to keep in under control. I really wish it was standard vet practice to test but it doesn't seem to be. Take a breath, you and Sadie will do fine. I've seen some of the horror stories with VF, but believe me when I tell you, they were the cases that were caught way way too late. This is NOT the case here

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Don't beat yourself up. Coming from the queen of it, I know. ;) Shanti was tested prior, negative. I asked how on earth this could happen. It is a tricky thing, it does tend to hide. It can be missed. The good news is that this is NOT the case with Sadie. You caught it early. I was told even Shanti should see a huge improvement and turn around in her leg. And I think she is bad and had it for a couple years.

I am guessing you will see a big improvement faster on Sadie. If you think she is not improving during the 90 days, just remember, the medication makes them feel a bit crappy. Just keep up on her blood work checks.

You know where to find me. :P As I have always been told, misery loves company. It will be a hard road, but a road that will lead to wellness!!! Remember, it is treatable!!!

The Girls

Guest vahoundlover
:grouphug Don't be so hard on yourself! It was caught early and I KNOW Miss Sadie will be just fine! You have quite a few people here that have experience (unfortunately) with VF and I'm sure they will help you get thru this and the rest of us are here for you too. :grouphug Now when you get home, give your lovely girlie a kiss for all of us!

Guest IrskasMom

How could you have known ?? What are the Symptoms to check for ??? I have really no Clue , so don't be so hard on

yourself . Sending lots of Hugs for you and Sadie :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest tricolorhounds

:grouphug Hugs to you and Sadie...

One of the dogs we sit for, Avi... who happens to be Savannah's little brother has VF and he is fine... Try not to worry.

Guest HornGreys

As I just e-mailed you...don't worry. VF is very treatable adn he titer level is not that bad. Call me on my cell and we can discuss it more. Please don't worry. But remember I know the feeling...I have two VF greys.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ok, I've pulled myself together and am good.

Yes, this is treatable and yes, I feel guilt, rational or not, for not checking earlier.

Some of the common signs are lack of appetite, lameness, fever, joint swelling, weight loss, cough, seizures, etc...

Of all those, Sadie was limping- which I honestly think was due to a corn and this was just a fluke that we tested and found out at all that she has VF. So really, there's no way to have known that she had it before although I've always known it was a risk. There have been days when she was off and I knew she didn't feel well, but she always bounced back quickly.

This was the longest period that she's been off, so that's why she went into the vet.

She'll be on fluconazole for three months, one pill twice a day. After that we test again. The prescription will cost about $50/month and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

So that's where we are. Thanks for the hugs and good thoughts. My Sadiebugs is going to be fine and while I might have a meltdown here and there, it's nice to know I have support. :)

Oh honey, this makes me sick. But we're here for you....and there's so much information out there for you & there's hope! She's young, she's strong & you caught it early! :hope for you & my girl.

Dear is watching over her....:beatheart

Edited by Pipi5

Guest Winterwish

I'm sorry to hear Sadie is sick and send get well wishes her way. You did a great job in getting to the cause of her symptoms Mary Jo! :getwell:dogcookie:cookie