Grapes? Are They Poisonous To Dogs?

Guest Annie

Guest BradyzMommy
He just stole a whole bunch and I want to make sure it's okay!

Grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause renal failure.

Toxicity

A computerized animal toxicity database helped veterinarians see a trend in 1989, noticing that in some cases of acute renal failure (sudden kidney failure) dogs shared a common history: the consumption of raisins or grapes just prior to the kidney failure. The type of grape or raisin doesn't seem to matter, and the amount consumed may be a single serving of raisins or a pound or more of grapes. (Raisins are much more concentrated.) Researchers are exploring the possibilities: a mycotoxin (fungal toxin), pesticide, herbicide or heavy metals, but thus far the actual toxin is unknown at this time.

Clinical Signs

Vomiting and jittery (hyperactive) behavior are seen immediately to within the first 24 hours after ingestion. Diarrhea may also be seen, and the vomitus and feces may contain partially digested grapes or raisins. After 24 hours, the dog may be come anorexic, lethargic and depressed. Additionally the abdomen may be painful, the dog may stop drinking and urinating. Ultimately, the kidneys fail, and without aggressive treatment, many dogs will die.

Treatment

If the raisin or grape ingestion was 2 hours or less, the veterinarian will want to induce vomiting to rid the body of the toxin and then administer activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxin. Aggressive intravenous (IV) fluid therapy is required to keep the kidneys in good health. Additional kidney medications may be indicated, depending on the patient

can you try peroxide to bring them back up? did this just happen?

Guest BradyzMommy

wow, that seems like a lot. did you try to induce vomiting?

ive never had to induce vomiting, but i hear it doesnt take much peroxide. if it was a large amount of grapes, i would contact your vet.

Edited by BradyzMommy

Just get as much peroxide in him as you can.

Some dogs will puke after a tablespoon full, some will take a cup and occasionally some won't puke at all. Pour some down, wait 5 or so minutes and if no puke, pour some more down. In this case, if no puking within 30 minutes, I would take the dog to the Vet because of the grapes.

That is just my thoughts. I'm not a Vet nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yep, give the hound a good swig of hydrogen peroxide. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Finn is fine! :rolleyes:

His momma gave him a shot glass full of hydrogen peroxide and that was the end of the grapes! :lol

I thought I'd add a picture of the handsome and sweet boy from when I was sitting him recently. I love this pup!

Finn_indoors_1000.jpg

Guest valtoy

My greyhound eats grapes all the time...not a whole bunch, but one or up to 5 when we eat them. We toss him a couple and he loves them!

Valerie

My greyhound eats grapes all the time...not a whole bunch, but one or up to 5 when we eat them. We toss him a couple and he loves them!

Valerie

grapes have a cumulative effect.

Time to stop sharing your grapes with him.

Finn is fine! :rolleyes:

His momma gave him a shot glass full of hydrogen peroxide and that was the end of the grapes! :lol

I thought I'd add a picture of the handsome and sweet boy from when I was sitting him recently. I love this pup!

Finn_indoors_1000.jpg

Thank you for the update, and so glad all is okay. He sure is handsome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BradyzMommy

thought this might be helpful:

Poisonous Foods for Dogs

Chocolate (contains Theobromine)

Onions & garlic

Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides

resulting in cyanide poisoning)

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Rhubarb leaves

Moldy/spoiled foods

Macadamia Nuts/Walnuts

Alcohol

Yeast dough

Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

Hops (used in home brewing)

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

Broccoli (in large amounts)

Raisins and grapes (damages the kidneys)

Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Nutmeg

Raw Potatoes

Turkey skin

Voltarin (in arthritis medication)-Very Fatal

Baby Food (can contain onion powder)

Citrus oil

Fat trimmings (Can cause pancreatitis).

Human vitamins containing iron (can damage the lining of the digestive system)

Large amounts of liver

Mushrooms

Raw fish

I am happy he is ok! Bless his heart, he says that is not FAIR they were good.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest heidihvt

So glad he's okay!! Used to feed my pups grapes too but then found they were toxic. Wouldn't recommend it. As with so many other products/foods there's no definitive limit per pet. It may take a ton of grapes to cause damage or as little as one. My feelings are, better safe than sorry, don't feed them.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Valerie

Just because your pup eats a certain food, doesnt mean its not harmful. Would you allow your pup to drink radiator fluid? It smells sweet and cats LOVE it. It is nearly always fatal.

Guest longdogs

Valerie

Just because your pup eats a certain food, doesnt mean its not harmful. Would you allow your pup to drink radiator fluid? It smells sweet and cats LOVE it. It is nearly always fatal.

Nugget liked grapes and it was impossible to stop her getting a few when birds dropped them from our overhead vine. A big dog like a grey can tolerate a few now and then, but as the above poster says, whether they like them or not is totally irrelevant. I would not deliberately give any dog grapes. They don't need them and it does them no good. Raisins are even worse because they are more concentrated. There are plenty of things that taste OK and are toxic. Liking the taste is no guide at all to safety.

Guest MAXNAV

Even though the peroxide worked, and the pup got rid of the grapes, should the dog still be checked by a vet? I've never had this happen to me, but I'd just like to know in case it ever does happen to me or one of my friends. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nuthatch46201

Gator or Allie got grapes off the counter while I was away last night. I thought s/he ate them all but later found most of the bunch on the floor in the dining room. I never heard of grapes being toxic to dogs. Glad I didn't know until this am or would have freaked out last night. I am sure neither got enough to hurt. I have had an old dog that had stopped counter snarfing a long time ago. These younger dogs are really keeping me hopping.

Really glad to see your friend went with the peroxide advice. Imo, a much better option when it comes to poisonous substances than waiting until you can get to the vet and be seen by him. One of our adopters came home to find her dogs had managed to find and share a bag of grapes while she was out. Both of them nearly died, but did recover fully with extensive vet care. IMO, grapes are not something I would mess around with, even feeding one or two at a time. I'd prefer my dogs not to see them as "treats".

To the poster who asked, I don't think a vet visit is in order if you can be certain all the grapes came back up. It sounds like in this case the adopter saw what went down, and then saw what came back up. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Glad he's okay, I've had to do that a couple of times with my kids. I felt awful doing it because they just look so awful while it's happening.

Once Skimmie pulled a used tampon (:puke) out of the garbage and ate it. I only gave him a little peroxide since he's small, but it took a lot to get him to eventually vomit. Poor guy.

I had to do it to Ace once too, but I really can't remember what she ate to make me do it. :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--