Starbuck Needs Help - Please

Guest damianfl

Guest damianfl

Hi,

My name is Damian. My wife Charlene, Starbuck and I just moved to Florida from New Jersey.

So we do not have a vet or any greyhound friends yet.

starbuckclaw2.JPG

Starbuck just split her claw. Don't know how she did it - but I'm worried about her.

Especially because she actually limped a little bit and she never shows pain.

Plus to make matters worse, my wife just left to visit her grandparents on other side of Florida.

So I am not sure whether I should tell her to come home, go to the emergency room or what???

I have read on other forums that nails usually just heal on their own. I just want some guidance to be sure.

Please anything you share will be HUGELY appreciate by me and Starbuck

(It looks red and raw but is not and actually has not really bled at all)

starbuckclaw1.jpg

Welcome to Florida. From your picture and description, I would not deem this as an emergency in my house as long as there is no bleeding. If it is bleeding a lot, you can try cornstarch or flour to help stop it. If it starts bleeding in the morning, I would re-assess the nail and consider seeing a Vet during regular Saturday hours. I personally think just about any Vet should be able to stop bleeding of a toe, regardless of how greyhound knowledgeable they are.

Good luck and let us know how Starbuck does. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

welcome. I agree it isnt a evet visit. None of my greys ever split a nail but my foster did. I just kept it clean (he would to lickiing it). the edges of the quick is what u are seeing. I never went to a vet but it did take a good month for the nail to cover it. Is the nail still attached or loose? I did have to cut some off. Now mind you it was his dew claw not the last to like on your babe so I think you might want a vet to look at to make sure it doesnt get infected. good luck

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

I agree that any vet can help with a split toenail. Let your wife enjoy her visit--it probably doesn't require two adults to deal with one split nail! There are many dog tracks in Florida, so I imagine most of the vets are familiar with Greyhounds.

Your girl is very pretty!

I'd throw a piece of tape around the nail if it were my dog--to sort of hold the pieces together, like a vice!

Good luck, and welcome!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

She's beautiful, and welcome.I am going through the same thing with one of my girls, although it wasn't from trauma.I would get in to see a vet and at least get her on antibiotics so no infection will develop.And even though it's a minor injury, that hurts so I would ask for Tramadol for pain.If she'll let you, I would do an epsom salt soak .IF it's from trauma, any vet should be able to help but if there's a secondary cause, then I would only see a Grey savy vet.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest trevdog

Hi, Where are you located? It does look a bit uncomfortable but not an evet visit. Greys are notoroiusly sensitive about their feet.

I'm in the Tampa area, lots of grey savvy vets here if you are nearby.....

Guest damianfl

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Starbuck is doing fine. No bleeding. No limping.

I keep washing it with a little peroxide. She's most laying down (thought that's usually all she ever does :oP )

We are in Saint Augustine. So we could definitely use a greyhound friendly vet recommendation if you have one.

And does anybody know where we can find grey events in st aug or jacksonville?

Thanks again for your help

dL

Did you say Jacksonville? Bingo. Put this on your calendar.

Sandy Paws

Sandy Paws, Jacksonville Florida-based Greyhound Rescue, Greyhound Events and more! ... Sandy Paws - where does the money go? Posted by: dione on 07/03/2008 09:09 (Read: 95)

www.sandypaws.org

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest argolola

Welcome! We are in St. Augustine too! We actually use St. Johns Vet on US 1 and Jackson Vet on the island. Dr. Burkhalter at St. Johns is grey saavy. For Lola's surgery, we took her to U of F vet school in Gainesville.

Maybe we could get together sometime.

p.s. your grey is adorable!!!

Edited by argolola

You'll make a lot of great connections here. If you're still washing your girls foot, don't continue to use Peroxide. Better to use a first aid wash or epsom salt.Continuous use of Peroxide will kill the good bacteria

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

glad she seems better. I bet it is sore that part of the nail isnt usually exposed(prob why it has a hard nail cover) Ditto the no peroxide. I usually flush all my pups wounds with saline solution.

Good luck on finding all the info u need This sight for sure will be able to help you from fun to vets

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08