How Many Had A Bone Biopsy Before Amputation?

I think I read that OSU and Dr C does not recommend it for greyhounds, I want to make sure before I see the oncologist on Tuesday

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I had a biopsy done on Derby and it was SO painful. :cry1 Wouldn't do it again. :( Good x-rays are enough, and they'll do the biopsy post surgery to confirm the diagnosis.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

I didn't have one done on Deuce and probably wouldn't. We knew it was cancer and it was clear. OSU did do a biopsy on it after they amputated and confirmed that it was Osteo just as they thought.

Dr. Couto does not recommend bone biopsy. I don't recall the reasoning and, unfortunately, I don't have my notes from his talk with me at work.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

from what I understand the bone biopsy is extremely painful and may also further weaken the leg, causing it to fracture.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Vinnie

Vinnie did not have a bone biopsy either. X-rays were clear enough that there was a problem. Also have been told that it is painful. I think we did have a "needle aspiration" done, and was told that the aspiration didn't show cancer, then a bone biopsy could be done. The needle aspiration did show the osteo.

Thoughts, prayers and hugs to all!

With Ivy's osteo they said it was important-that it could fracture the leg itself- but that the risk was worth it in this case. So they did one without incident. She did not seem like it bothered her too much. If there was any excessive pain she did a good job hiding it as it didn't seem to bother her. But really she sailed through the leg amputation too. Home in 4 days jumping back into bed! I really think Fresh Factors helped her- I gave her 6 a day. This was my experience. There was a good book published about canine amputees called "Without Regret." Ivy's picture heads up one of the chapters. As long as it is a greyhound savy top notch surgeon I don't believe there is anything to fear re: amputation. Ivy still ran like lightning afterwards. You couldn't tell she only had 3 legs because she was going so fast she was a blur! She was one who loved and had to run. The Dr. told me to let her do it. I will keep ya'll in my prayers. Good Luck.

from what I understand the bone biopsy is extremely painful and may also further weaken the leg, causing it to fracture.

That's exactly why I wouldn't recommend it. A friend did a bone biopsy on her greyhound (who, it turned out, had bone cancer) and within a few days, that leg broke and it was extremely painful for him.

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan's leg broke before we knew it was osteo. For Alex, the xrays were not conclusive. He did have a bone biopsy and I would never authorize one again. He was in a lot of pain waiting for the biopsy results. As soon as the results came back, we amputated.

Guest longdogs

Nugget had one because there was a slim chance it was something else. I think the X-rays are normally diagnostic. I don't think it made much difference to her as it was done at the same time as other surgery.

Guest ChasesMum

George had his Osteo right in the back of the shoulder socket and even though xrays were initially cleared by our vet, she sent them on to the Oncologist. Een he wasnt positive it was cancer but it was either a bone infection or cancer. Due to the extreme pain that was unmanageable with the patch, codeine and Metacam we chose to amputate and they would see once they got in there. No doubt it was once they could look at it.

I always figured it wasnt worth waiting and dealing with a biopsy and paying for it if in the end we were going to amputate anyways, and potentially deal with a broken bone.

Guest greytloves

I also had a friend that opted for the bone biopsy and the cancer raged within weeks he was gone. I did not for my girl, and she lived 4 months.

I would never opt for the biopsy.

I do believe in the best surgeon and the less complications and pain, I do have the best surgeon, he REALLY is. So Ivy did alright after surgery, how much pain? What leg was taken? How long until she was up and getting around on her own? Did you do the chemo too?

How long after she was diagnoised did she have the surgery?

With Ivy's osteo they said it was important-that it could fracture the leg itself- but that the risk was worth it in this case. So they did one without incident. She did not seem like it bothered her too much. If there was any excessive pain she did a good job hiding it as it didn't seem to bother her. But really she sailed through the leg amputation too. Home in 4 days jumping back into bed! I really think Fresh Factors helped her- I gave her 6 a day. This was my experience. There was a good book published about canine amputees called "Without Regret." Ivy's picture heads up one of the chapters. As long as it is a greyhound savy top notch surgeon I don't believe there is anything to fear re: amputation. Ivy still ran like lightning afterwards. You couldn't tell she only had 3 legs because she was going so fast she was a blur! She was one who loved and had to run. The Dr. told me to let her do it. I will keep ya'll in my prayers. Good Luck.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif