I Really Need Some Help

Guest KRKWMU

I'm so terribly sorry that you have to go through this. Cancer is such a terrible monster. Our thoughts are with you. Enjoy the days and spoil your girl rotten! :grouphug

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that Asia has this horrible disease and I'll be keeping her and you in my thoughts.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Oh, Audrey, I am so sorry. This is so NOT RIGHT, so soon after you losing Darius. My heart breaks for you. :(

My best friend lost both of her greyhounds within one month...her boy died very suddenly (hours, really), they found out he'd had an enlarged heart. Then her girl, who was battling a TBD and seemingly doing well, died 28 days later, also suddenly and violently. Both deaths being unexpected and SUDDEN took a huge toll on my friend, so I can understand how you are feeling.

I will keep you and Bob in my prayers. You will do what is right for Asia, I know that. And we'll all be here for you.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I am reading this >> http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1035

Following Bone Sparing,which just isn't an option, maybe Radiotherapy for Pain Control is to be taken for consideration?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Audrey, I am so sorry. :grouphug Just seeing this now and sending you, Asia, and the rest of the family support.

Kudos to you for exploring all the options and being so on top of things for your special girl.

Guest jettcricket
I am reading this >> http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1035

Following Bone Sparing,which just isn't an option, maybe Radiotherapy for Pain Control is to be taken for consideration?

That's what I opted for in my girl, Cricket. She goes for her second radiation treatment tomorrow. The Oncologist did tell that it may take a few weeks if she responds. I sure hope so...seeing her like this is killing me. She's always been such an active dog even at 11.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm sorry to hear about Asia's diagnosis. Pain control is key. As others have mentioned, the need to increase meds always seems to come at night and week-ends. With Alex, we started on Rimadyl, then added Tramadol (in increasing dosages and # times per day) and then added Neurotin when more control was needed. Find out in advance the maximum dosage for each drug and get them on hand.

:grouphug Oh Audrey, I'm so sorry to hear about Asia.

I would email Dr. Couto and get some advice from him, and definitely join Circle of Grey. I do not know much about osteo and treatment myself, but I did read an article about Artemisinin and slowing the growth of the tumor that way. It was in CG some time ago, maybe someone at Circle of Grey has it?

There's also chemo and/or radiation therapy, which might be an option you might like to pursue if her lungs are clear.

You're doing right by her by getting all of the information you can.

And yes, for pete's sake, take that girl to Grapehounds if she's not feeling any pain - have fun, take lots of pictures, bring your video camera!

Hugs to you, Bob, Asia, and Cosmo too :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest jettcricket
I would email Dr. Couto and get some advice from him, and definitely join Circle of Grey. I do not know much about osteo and treatment myself, but I did read an article about Artemisinin and slowing the growth of the tumor that way. It was in CG some time ago, maybe someone at Circle of Grey has it?

A friend of mine who lost her greyhound to osteo gave me what she had left of Artemisinin for Jett. Jett had mast cell tumor cancer so I don't how effective it was for him, but I just started giving it to my girl.

Just make sure if you do order it (go on line) to order it from Holley Pharmaceuticals. I hear that they are very reputable with their products.

I hear that they are using it for woman with breast cancer.

I just goggled it...here's the link. You can read about it.

http://www.illnessisoptional.com/ace/produ...CFQQbFQodCmrpGQ

Edited by jettcricket

Oh, I'm so sorry. Each time we read this devastating news (and it's happening far too often) our hearts break with yours. How old is Asia? To me, that would influence the decision. But you said she is a drama queen at best, and since you obviously love her deeply and understand her well, only you could truly know how she would deal with amputation and life as a tripod. What the amp does is take away that severe pain of osteo, and eliminate the possibility of that leg breaking. Also, someone had asked if the vet took chest X-rays---I'm not sure if I saw an answer. If the cancer has spread to her lungs, amputation would not buy her that much time. If her lungs are clear, her chances are better. If it hasn't spread, there are simple things you might try as well as pain management, things to boost her immune system, and perhaps fight the cancer cells. Artemisinin is worth trying---many good results from it. And anything that keeps her strong---fish oil, and a high protein, low carb diet. But the only thing we know for sure---cancer is a crapshoot. What works for one dog may not work for another one. Oh, God, I hate this monster! Even though my Winnie beat the monster, I realize how lucky we were. We had 3 1/2 years. But would 3 glorious days together, knowing she was safe within the circle of her family's love been less meaningful than those years? They live in the moment, and unlike us humans, don't cry for any future sadness. Your love shines through in every word---this girl knows that she is loved! And any decision you make will be made out of that love. Trust your heart, and cherish each day.

ETA Ditto what Jettcricket said about the artemisinin. Winnie was on it for 3 years! Holley is a reputable source, as is Nutricology (that's where I ordered mine)

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Did you have chemo? I am contemplating doing the amp for the eventual pain she will have and not the chemo. Chemo is so expensive for "maybe" more time. I have a vet tech friend who is coaching me. she sees many cancer clients in the practice where she works, they do not do radiation just the chemo. what the cancer takes next will decide when it is time to let her go.

Oh, I'm so sorry. Each time we read this devastating news (and it's happening far too often) our hearts break with yours. How old is Asia? To me, that would influence the decision. But you said she is a drama queen at best, and since you obviously love her deeply and understand her well, only you could truly know how she would deal with amputation and life as a tripod. What the amp does is take away that severe pain of osteo, and eliminate the possibility of that leg breaking. Also, someone had asked if the vet took chest X-rays---I'm not sure if I saw an answer. If the cancer has spread to her lungs, amputation would not buy her that much time. If her lungs are clear, her chances are better. If it hasn't spread, there are simple things you might try as well as pain management, things to boost her immune system, and perhaps fight the cancer cells. Artemisinin is worth trying---many good results from it. And anything that keeps her strong---fish oil, and a high protein, low carb diet. But the only thing we know for sure---cancer is a crapshoot. What works for one dog may not work for another one. Oh, God, I hate this monster! Even though my Winnie beat the monster, I realize how lucky we were. We had 3 1/2 years. But would 3 glorious days together, knowing she was safe within the circle of her family's love been less meaningful than those years? They live in the moment, and unlike us humans, don't cry for any future sadness. Your love shines through in every word---this girl knows that she is loved! And any decision you make will be made out of that love. Trust your heart, and cherish each day.

ETA Ditto what Jettcricket said about the artemisinin. Winnie was on it for 3 years! Holley is a reputable source, as is Nutricology (that's where I ordered mine)

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I have no advice, Audrey, but am sending hugs and prayers to you and Asia. My heart hurts for you both.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest VelvetEars

I just read this, and I am so so sorry. :(

No matter what you decide, don't let the cancer define her remaining time with you. Love her, create memories, take lots of pictures, and do what you need to do to keep her comfortable. And we will be here for you, just as you are there for her.

Audrey, no, we didn't do chemo. A few reasons. We tried it with our Patsy (who had lymphoma, which supposedly responds well), with no success. Though I realize that results are so varied and individual, I saw so many dogs who didn't get appreciably more time even with the chemo. Winnie's lungs were nice and clear, so we decided to just go with the artemisinin and lots of immune system boosters. And for whatever reason, it worked. We lost her last Oct. to kidney failure. She was 8 when we did the amp and was 1 month shy of her 12th birthday when we put her to sleep. I think about her every day, and think about what I would do if any of my girls got that dreaded diagnosis. Scares me to death. And I honestly don't know what I would do.

Sending prayers and white light to you and Asia.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

queenwinniesmom has such a way with words, I just love her. I have learned a lot from her. Her girl Winnie was my boy Deuce's role model. Deuce is now going strong and it will be two YEARS post diagnosis/amputation next month. We too do artemisinin and believe in it. We celebrate everyday that he is still here with us through the grace of God. Never give up hope because God heals and He is good all the time.

Edited by gottaluvgreysindy

Re: the high protein/low carb diet, I hear many good things about Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon. It's made with ocean fish too so that'll improve the Omega 3's :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

All prayers and good thoughts to Asia. I have no advice having not dealt with this...yet. Just sending best wishes.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

You never really know how long you have. The vet told us 4 months, but Argus was gone in just over 2 weeks. Wendy's Snowman lived for several months. It just seems to be a crap shoot.

The most important thing is to aggressively manage her pain. When you can't keep the pain down, it's time. When that will be, nobody knows. Spoil her rotten and enjoy each day with her.

I'm sorry.

:bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I am sorry you are having to go thru this. My beloved Snowman was also not a candidate for amp. I got to spend a wonderfull 2 1/2 months post dx. I chose the 3 things that he loved more than anything. 1) playing with his ball 2) getting loves from me...even if it ment he had to get up to get them 3) meal time when he would chatter like a mad man and prance around till I put his food down. These 3 things I did to an abundance and took the time to really enjoy them with him. As long as he could do these things and I could controll his pain I knew he still wanted to be here.

We were lucky he did all 3 with his usual gusto and only slowed down (but still enjoyed them) up to the last week. During this last week he slowly took no intrest in any of them. I made the appt for a mobil vet to come to my house 2 days later. The last night I was up with him cause he could not get comfie no matter how much meds he had.

I am glad I had my list of 3 things so when it was time I didnt have the "what ifs" I will in the future do the same.

I can only give your hugs via the cyber and tell you to enjoy your time and create memories

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Ok At the present time Asia's lungs are clear but that is only one xray. If I did the amp I am sure they will xray again and many views, right?

Now how many have had the amp and not the chemo? How long did your dog live? that is the way I think I should go.

It is not the amptation I should be worried about. 10 days tops for recouping her. If I spent 10K for chemo and I was guarenteed 5 years I would spend it, but I dont' feel that is is going to help. Will OSU send the free chemo to me here in NY?

I've no advice for you, but want you to know you and your sweet girl are in my thoughts. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown