Puking/peeing... After Eating Pork Picnic Shoulder

Guest Peanut

Guest Peanut

We feed raw and I've been battling with Sassy to eat her RMB (raw meaty bones). She either won't eat them or pukes on them. It was suggested to try the pork picnic shoulder/cut. So we did... not knowing they came this way, I am pretty sure it was enhanced.

Most pork these days is processed, or enhanced, with a brine solution containing sodium phosphate and salt, and can comprise up to eight percent of the total weight. There are some benefits to processing the pork.

She is drinking fluids like crazy, peeing clear or having accidents. And now is puking... in the night is a gray color and i thought it was maybe the chicken leg i fed her. Today while i was at work DBF let her out and it was green/yellow puke and a pee accident. When out she puked yellow slime.

I'm calling the vet now. But she has me worried!! She's 9 yrs old. Other than these symptoms she is acting herself.

That's a Vet visit. I would be concerned with pancreatitis.

:grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Spiff

I hope she'll be OK!

I hope it's just a case of too much salt and that once her system is flushed that she'll be alright again. When Spiff is puky on an empty tummy, it's usually yellow slimy stuff.

Can she hold down anything bland like rice?

Edited by Spiff

sending prayers! :hope :hope

how is she doing this morning?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Peanut

The pork wasn't fatty... (THANK GOODNESS!)

Okay, sorry for the delayed up date. My laptop is out for service so couldn't get on to reply. I called the E-Vet and they felt that the sodium phospate (SALT) is causing thirst (DUH!) which causes more pee (DOUBLE DUH!) and they were not worried about that. Her poops have been normal and her puke has no blood in it. SO... they told me to continue to monitor and let it work through her system. She is her perky, nutty self.

DBF did not clean up the puke/pee from yesterday while I was at work. Which really was okay... the pee (what he thought it was) really didn't smell like pee at all and it was slimmy. So, I think it was yellow bile puke. The green puke --- TRIPE from breakfast. I got home FINALLY around 930p last night and she was happy to see me. No more pukes/pees since DBF had been there at 5ish. I gave her rice and boiled hamburger (which she loves). Drum roll........ NO PUKES!! NO ACCIDENTS!! And one silly goofy girl this morning! Water bowl had not been touched all night (NORMAL).

So, I hope that means we have turned a new corner and it is out of the system. Will call our regular vet to get her in on Friday (I start vacation then) unless something changes in the mean time.

I have a digestive enzyme holistic supplement being shipped out today. It has lots of good things in it to help digest food but also help in the icky belly stuff she'll get. Pork Picnic Shoulder is in the dumpster!! FORGET IT!

Thanks everyone! :)

Guest mickie37

I had the same thing happen to my dogs when I fed enhanced chicken quarters from Walmart. I was lucky that it stopped within 12 hours and the dogs were fine after that. My biggest initial worry was dehydration so I provided lots of water and monitored them like an old mother hen. I called the Vet to be on the safe side and set up a farm visit because I could not have taken 4 dogs to the vet puking and pooping. :eek

Good Luck

Mickie

Stacks-Haus Sheep Company

Ohio on the North Coast

Guest sheila

Just to let you know that even if you don't see a layer of fat on the meat doesn't mean it's not fatty. Pork shoulder usually has a lot of marbling in the meat and all that marbling is fat.

So glad to hear she's better! Phew! You must be so relieved. :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Peanut

Just to let you know that even if you don't see a layer of fat on the meat doesn't mean it's not fatty. Pork shoulder usually has a lot of marbling in the meat and all that marbling is fat.

good to know but we won't be feeding that again. I had cut off a lot of it and gave her a center piece - around the bone - the day I gave it to her. NEVER AGAIN!!

Any way, she has one more meal of rice & hamburger but is doing wonderful! She was asking for "treats" in the kitchen tonight. Little did she not realize I had to bake the dog treats yet and that won't happen until tomorrow. We'll see what happens once she is back on her normal food.... fingers crossed she does okay.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad she is doing better. I never thought about the consequences of giving meat with additives; we have never done it, just never thought about it, either. Now I will always check to make sure there is no added "solution" in any of our meat. I hope you are able to find some agreeable meats for her; if not, will a switch to kibble be in order?

For the foods that she's puking, do they come back up relatively quickly? My DBF recently switched his dogs to raw under my guidance and he's been having trouble getting his female to tolerate anything other than chicken. She would do the same thing, either not eat it, or force it down and then throw it back up shortly after. I suggested he try searing the foods she's throwing up and actually did it with some beef kidney (that she refused at first) when I was over on Wednesday. Once seared it was down the hatch, and no vomiting.

So I think she just didn't find it palateable, and that alone would make her throw it up.

Try that with a boneless cut she's been having trouble with and see if it works (once she's totally back to normal of course). Just throw it in a really hot pan until each side is brown, but don't cook the piece through. I would start with smaller, thinner slices of something first. If that works, then you can gradually cut back on the sear and/or use larger pieces. A lot of people have to do this with organ meat initially.

Glad to hear your girl is recovering well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Peanut
I am glad she is doing better. I never thought about the consequences of giving meat with additives; we have never done it, just never thought about it, either. Now I will always check to make sure there is no added "solution" in any of our meat. I hope you are able to find some agreeable meats for her; if not, will a switch to kibble be in order?

I don't want to go back to kibble because it doesn't resolve or "picky" eater issues..... But, we are going to do some switching around to see if we can get the percentages of each right so that she won't puke up the bone fragments. I'm also hoping the digestive enzyme will do the trick.... She's full of spunk today! i'm making dog treats for tomorrows greyhound party/play date. And she is right behind me waiting for her taste testing opportunity.

For the foods that she's puking, do they come back up relatively quickly? My DBF recently switched his dogs to raw under my guidance and he's been having trouble getting his female to tolerate anything other than chicken. She would do the same thing, either not eat it, or force it down and then throw it back up shortly after. I suggested he try searing the foods she's throwing up and actually did it with some beef kidney (that she refused at first) when I was over on Wednesday. Once seared it was down the hatch, and no vomiting.

So I think she just didn't find it palatable, and that alone would make her throw it up.

Try that with a boneless cut she's been having trouble with and see if it works (once she's totally back to normal of course). Just throw it in a really hot pan until each side is brown, but don't cook the piece through. I would start with smaller, thinner slices of something first. If that works, then you can gradually cut back on the sear and/or use larger pieces. A lot of people have to do this with organ meat initially.

Glad to hear your girl is recovering well.

She does fine with boneless anything.... If she has decided that she'll eat the RMB, then if it is going to come back up, it is part of the bone (small amount) about 10 hours later.