Something Is Up With Teddy (and Possibly Chloe)

This started after we attended our picnic on Sunday which was very, very hot. We kept them in the shade and hosed them down constantly.

But, since then, Teddy our food hound has been picking at his food and left breakfast completely yesterday. He had D while we were at work yesterday on the living room floor. He turned his nose up at dinner last night. I tried some chicken, rice and kibble. That he ate. He woke us up in the middle of the night to go out. He pooped again. This morning in the back he pooped again. Semi solid.

BUT on the walk with DH, he pooped yet again and when DH went to pick it up, it looked like there might be some blood in it. He wasn't sure. It was dark red. He said he wasn't sure it was blood or stomach bile. Either way, he collected it and it's in my fridge. Teddy has an acupuntcure appointment this morning. I am hoping they will do the lab work there and not make me take it to "the vet".

Any thoughts? Chloe is "off too". Not eating the way she normally does. These 2 are my chow hounds. I've always said IF they ever picked or refused food, I'd be really concerned.

Could they have picked up a virus at the picnic?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Fingers crossed for you that it is nothing. I know extreme heat puts me out of sorts for a day. A lot of pups get picky during the summer because of the heat.

I hope everything is okay Robin and it was just the heat. Chloe just can't be sick on her birthday!! And poor Teddy....feel better you two

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest MySkye

Oh boy.

Hoping that you get to the bottom of this soon. I know how seeing the "chowhounds" not eat at my place puts me on edge. Hoping its nothing Robin.

Keep us updated and get better you two!

Guest SueG201

There are plenty of dog viruses going around, they will probably feel better in a day or two

Some of the viruses going around the show circuit actually mimic parvo. HYDRATE THEM

and they should come around soon. Best of luck

Are they drinking water? It could just be from the heat. Our guys have been fine from the picnic but I've been dragging. Todays the first day I've felt back to normal since Sunday. As for any blood, it could just be from irritation from the big D. As long as there not a lot I wouldn't worry. Hope they're back to their chow hound selves soon.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

Guest IrskasMom

With this rather sudden arrivel of the Heat , my Morty has not been eating much either . So lets hope its the heat and or

something simple. Feel better soon you two . :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

No, no mucus, and yes they are drinking and eating, just not the way they normally do.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest LolasMom

Pup date? Just wondering how Teddy and Chloe are doing today. Hope all's well and it was just a little too much heat. :wub:

Edited by LolasMom

Yes, I do believe it was just a bit too much heat. Thank you for asking.

Teddy has an appointment with the NEW vet for more acupuncture this evening.

It's likely just a bit of a reaction to the heat. My first summer with Grace I lived in a horridly hot apartment without AC. She would sometimes refuse her meals, sometimes vomit, and often get horrendous D. It was a reaction to the heat, especially on the days that had a large swing in temp. We have a townhouse with AC now.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

This started after we attended our picnic on Sunday which was very, very hot. We kept them in the shade and hosed them down constantly.

But, since then, Teddy our food hound has been picking at his food and left breakfast completely yesterday. He had D while we were at work yesterday on the living room floor. He turned his nose up at dinner last night. I tried some chicken, rice and kibble. That he ate. He woke us up in the middle of the night to go out. He pooped again. This morning in the back he pooped again. Semi solid.

BUT on the walk with DH, he pooped yet again and when DH went to pick it up, it looked like there might be some blood in it. He wasn't sure. It was dark red. He said he wasn't sure it was blood or stomach bile. Either way, he collected it and it's in my fridge. Teddy has an acupuntcure appointment this morning. I am hoping they will do the lab work there and not make me take it to "the vet".

Any thoughts? Chloe is "off too". Not eating the way she normally does. These 2 are my chow hounds. I've always said IF they ever picked or refused food, I'd be really concerned.

Could they have picked up a virus at the picnic?

If there is blood in the urine or poop, you better call your Vet. The dog could be in renal failure. It was ungodly hot on Sunday.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Glad the pups are doing better. Hope Teddy's appt with the new acupuncture vet this evening goes well! :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

No blood in poop. The D had an burnt orangist tint to it, but no blood. DH wasn't sure so he erred on the side of caution.

New ACUPUNTURE vet update- for those of you who saw my thread in soap box about what happened on Tuesday at the original acupunture vet's office, you know why there is a new one.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=202848

Anyway, personally, he was a doll. VERY PERSONAL. Clinically, he wasn't half as thorough as the 1st one but seemed to know what he was doing. He is 3 miles away vs. 16 miles. $700 a session VS $123.00 session and appointments are easy to get after work as opposed to taking time off of work to accomodate the other one's schedule!

So, we are scheduled for next week. Stay tuned for round 2 of acupunture.

Edited by RobinM

No blood in poop. The D had an burnt orangist tint to it, but no blood. DH wasn't sure so he erred on the side of caution.

New ACUPUNTURE vet update- for those of you who saw my thread in soap box about what happened on Tuesday at the original acupunture vet's office, you know why there is a new one.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=202848

Anyway, personally, he was a doll. VERY PERSONAL. Clinically, he wasn't half as thorough as the 1st one but seemed to know what he was doing. He is 3 miles away vs. 16 miles. $700 a session VS $123.00 session and appointments are easy to get after work as opposed to taking time off of work to accomodate the other one's schedule!

So, we are scheduled for next week. Stay tuned for round 2 of acupunture.

Did you mean to say $70 a session.....because $700 a session and my dogs best be getting part time jobs! :eek

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

OOPS!! Yes, $70 a session VS $123.00 !!!!!

Poops are ok, eating again. Teddy still has his gait off, holding up his right front, but that is what the acupunture is for. I don't expect it to be better until after several passes at the acupunture although it would be nice if it were!

Thanks for asking. I certainly learned be lesson, taking them to the picnic in that heat. Even though I kept them under a tent and hosed them down frequently, it was just too hot for them.

So happy they are doing better. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest patti909
Poops are ok, eating again. Teddy still has his gait off, holding up his right front, but that is what the acupunture is for. I don't expect it to be better until after several passes at the acupunture although it would be nice if it were!

Thanks for asking. I certainly learned be lesson, taking them to the picnic in that heat. Even though I kept them under a tent and hosed them down frequently, it was just too hot for them.

Yup, as much as I wanted to go, I knewe my 4 wouldn't do well in the heat. Happy to hear they are returning to normal.