Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

Bodie is home but he is not good. He has very bad diarrhea from what

the OSU vets think is stress colitis. In other words, he made

himself sick from my not coming back for him in a few days. OSU has

him on 2 different diarrhea medicines, plus Tramadol for the pain -

his rear end is raw from all the diarrhea. He is very listless, but

that may be because he has a hangover - OSU had him pretty well

drugged for the trip home. My biggest concern is that he won't eat.

Fortunately, he is still drinking, so dehydration is not a problem.

If anyone has any suggestions to help, I would appreciate them. I am

still in touch with OSU about his condition. Not only did they not

charge me for all the medications they sent home with us, they want

me to keep in touch about his condition so they can try other

medications if he doesn't improve.

I am feeling terribly guilty for having left him there in the first

place. If I had known he would react this way, I never would have

done so. He is generally so easy going and laid back - nothing

bothers him. I know you will all say that I shouldn't beat myself up

over this - I did what I thought was best for him at the time - and I

know that. But I still feel awful - as I'm sure you would, too, if

you were in the same situation.

I have taken off work to take care of him. Hopefully, that will help

him deal with the "stress" part of the problem. Right now he is

peacefully sleeping in the family room, which is in the center of the

house by the kitchen. He is just happy to be home.

P.S. His "sister", Rainy, who has been depressed since he left, practically did flips when she saw Bodie last night. I let Bodie out in the yard right away because of the diarrhea and Rainy did zoomies all over the yard, running over to Bodie, sniffing him, and then crying, then more zoomies. It was so heartwarming to see.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jerrybird

Maybe some Kraft Dinner, pasta and cheese might stimulate up his appetite? Or baby food, beef or chicken? I'm glad he's home and Rainy might perk him up too! Best wishes to all of you.

Good thoughts coming to Bodie.

I don't know if it'll help in his case, but what we do with diarrhea pups is to get them to eat 2 metamucil wafers (apple or cinnamon flavored; not the tablets, but they're like cookies), fast for 24 hours, then go on the bland diet. The wafers to a lot to clear up the big D.

Hope he's comfortable again soon.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Machbragal

Praying for your family -- these are such tough times. i hope you see an improvement today. Bodie, hang in there, boy!

I'm sure your sweet boy is SO relieved to be home, despite all the great care he was getting at OSU. It's not the same as "home." :heart Sending more prayers and light for his body to de-stress and relax again. Give him extra kisses from us, too. :kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Many prayers coming for both of you. Hopefully "home" will lessen the stress on both of you. Thank you for taking such good care of your boy.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending my many prayers. When Angel LaceyLaine was on chemo and stopped eating...Oncology gave us Remeron and it really spiked her appetite. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Winterwish

I'm so glad Bodie is back home with you! :bighug Since he's not eating at the moment,it'd be helpful to pick up some vanilla ensure and half and half,or milk. If Bodie doesn't take to the ensure,adding half and half to it makes it more delishious,and he might like it. I'd give just about a cup at a time tho'. Mainly it's for his strength,and hopefully the appetite will soon follow.

Also,it's very helpful to have some vanilla ice cream on hand for the same reasons. You could mix that with the ensure if you want instead actually.

When he does begin eating again,I'd just keep it simple,some boiled chicken breast,a little pasta,maybe with the tiniest bit of cooked liver,like 1/2 teaspoon,for the smell and to entice him to eat.

Rhonda,as long as he's resting with you near,he'll settle and feel better.

Sending gentle scritches, :gh_child:dogcookie

Sending prayers to Bodie and you. I think it's a temporary setback due to all the change and stress. And when he gets settled back at home with all the TLC that you and his sister can give him, things will clear up. I'd never heard of Turbotainia's suggestion about the Metamucil wafers, but that is something to remember.

And you're right, we will tell you not to beat yourself up, and we mean it! Don't waste a moment on what might have been, just concentrate on your sweet boy. He's got a ton of good thoughts coming out to him.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

You didn't know he would react this way, and now you do. Don't get down on yourself for this; focus all your energy into taking care of your boy :)

As far as sore bottom, I used to use Desitin on the the little dogs when they got a sore butt. I'd use the creamy if you do and I would make sure he doesn't lick.

Hugs to you and Bodie,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Hopefully Bodie needs a few days of worry free rest. Does any dog food store carry canned tripe? They usually will eat the tripe over anything else.

Prayers, white light, hugs and kisses for you both.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I'm sure Bodie will do much better after he has had time to settle back at home and relax. Its good you will be home with him. What worked for Hobbes when he had trouble eating was some warm mashed potatoes with boiled chicken pieces mixed in. Sometimes I gave him a little chicken noodle soup & broth to start - it seemed to settle his stomach. As the diarrhea decreases you could add boiled ground turkey and rice to his diet. If he will be up to it, you could try 3-4 small meals spread out thru the day.

Hobbes also had that sore bottom and I used warm cloths to clean him and some Vaseline for the rash.

You've always done your very best for him - please be kind to yourself - there is no way you could have known his reaction. You are there with him and he knows you love him. Warm hugs to you both. We'll be keeping all those good thoughts going to you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest vahoundlover

No advice, Boss eats boiled hamburger or ice cream when he gets finicky, not sure how the ice cream would do with D. I'm glad Bodie is home with you :grouphug:grouphug Sending lots of prayers he will feel much better soon since he's home. Desitin on his raw bum would probably feel pretty good, just no licking!

Guest LolasMom
I'm sure Bodie will do much better after he has had time to settle back at home and relax.

You've always done your very best for him - please be kind to yourself - there is no way you could have known his reaction. You are there with him and he knows you love him. Warm hugs to you both. We'll be keeping all those good thoughts going to you.

Feel better, sweetheart. We're pulling for you :kiss2