Does This Grey Look Healthy To You?

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

Guest DaffyToons

He looks great to me!! I have a big boy who weighed a whopping 104 lbs when he came home. He is now a svelt 95 lbs. and looks wonderful.

When you get your boy home, we want pictures!! :digicam

Greyhounds sleep / lay down a LOT! Your new boy looks just fine. I also have a BIG boy - he weighs 95 lbs, and he still has muscle definition and 3 back ribs showing.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest FullMetalFrank

My boy is a big greyhound; his weight is around 81 lbs. and he still looks very lanky (he raced at 76 lbs.) Greyhounds are lazy dogs in general; short bursts of activity followed by a lot of lounging and sleeping. Mine likes a weekly full-out run (we go to a fenced-in large schoolyard) and occasional walks, the rest of his exercise he gets doing quick romps in the yard at home.

What are his ear tattoos?

You cannot tell from a picture if a dog is healthy. Unfortunately, a good thorough veterinary exam is needed for that! My adoption group mandates an exam within 10 days of adoption. Yours may have a similar rule. If nothing else, your vet should see the dog for a "well dog" or "new dog" visit.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Congrats on your new dog!! He is beautiful!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest boni923

He's gorgeous! I'd be worried if my greys didn't lie down for 90% of the day!! They sure give definition to laziness!

Good lck, you're gonna loveeeeeee him!

75 lbs is not big for a male GH. I had a female who raced at 72 lbs.

And the laying around part--we don't call them 45 mph couch potatoes for nothing :lol: . They are sprinters who like to run for a minute or two, then lay around for the rest of the day.

Have your vet check that he has good muscle tone and not too much fat (and compare him to photos here once you get him home). If he's out of shape (doesn't have much defined muscle) and/or chunky around the middle (he should have a wasp waist), then more activity and less food are both in order. Since he's retired already at age two, he may not really be 'into' running all that much.

Looks like a cutie to me. Do you know his racing name and or tattoo numbers?

Enjoy your new pup,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest LokisMom

Almost all of my pictures are of my dogs laying down. That's what they do. I was just complaining about not having any good pictures of my dogs standing at a fun run Monday, in fact.

75 lbs is not unreasonable. Greys come in all sizes as others have indicated. My boy raced at around 75-77lbs and weighs around 80 or so now. He is not super thin or anything but he's healthy and looks good. (Although he could probably stand to have another rib showing.)

He looks great!

My bridge girl Kira was a true couch potato; all the pictures I have of her were laying down. :lol

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have been asked that question about Spencer quite a bit because almost all the photos I have taken of him, he's laying down. Greys either stand or lay down but rarely sit. I think Tommy looks completely normal to me. And 75 pounds isn't that big for a male Greyhound. Spencer is usually around 76 and Clyde, my foster is in the 90's somewhere.

You mean they stand? :dunno:

I was thinking the very same :lol

Congratulations on your new boy - he's lovely :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Redpack
You mean they stand? :dunno:

:hehe he's beautiful, and he IS standing in photo number 2 and does not look "chubby" a bit to me. I have two big guys. Emissary is 88 to 90 pounds and Dip's normal weight 85. They are very tall, I think your guy is too! Good luck and hope you don't have too many complications.

Guest greytloves

Well, its resfreshing to hear a new adoptee thinking that their potential may be chubby and not "we need to put weight on him/her!" shudder. I just hate that! Good luck!

Guest larock

our guys race weight was 72lbs. He was 78lbs. when we adopted him at 2. Sound about right to me but it really depends on the dog.

Guest greyindy

He is adorable. My girls are both brindles and even in pictures it is hard to see their ribs like some of the other colors. My girls are both 74 pounds. Harley is tall, deep chested and lean. Moka is a few inches shorter but built like a wrestler LOL!. They are both within 6-7 pounds of their racing weight.

Harley has been up to 80 ands down to 71 before we got her thyroid straightened out and it was still hard to tell with the brindle color that she had changed that much from a distance.

Our group gives you a copy of their vet visit they have to get fixed, teeth cleaned etcbefore they are adopted. Have you asked if he had a vet check and how it went?

Guest HeatherDemps

Mine raced around 70-72lbs and had just turned 3 when I adopted him. His weight has pretty much always been consistent.