Should I Call The Emergency Vet?

Guest daisydoodle123

Guest daisydoodle123

Daisy has what I think is constipation and keeps walking and squatting as though she was about to poo, but nothing comes out. She has had this since about Friday, but today is the worst day. She also has a lump, which is about the size of a ping pong ball. It is partially covered by her tail. The lump is bleeding, due to the fact that Daisy is licking it so much. Should I ring the emergency vet, or should I just leave it till tomorrow?

Thanks,

daisydoodle123

Guest daisydoodle123
I'd go now.

It says only to go for genuine emergencies. Daisy doesn't seem distressed. I'm really worried, but I am still not sure that it is a genuine emergency. She has had some dog milk and some high fibre kibble, so that might help.

Edited by daisydoodle123

Guest trevdog

If she can't go to the bathroom, I'd say it was an emergency....it could be a blockage or something ruptured....has she pooped at all?

Guest daisydoodle123

Yes, she has pooped, but it's a tiny amount and completely liquid. She's peeing okay. Her gums are a bit pale, but she has been running round the garden for a while. She seems okay in herself.

Guest DaffyToons

If she has diarrhea, she is not constipated. There is an issue with the lump making her feel like she has to go. I'd get her into the vet now. I don't like bleeding lumps. How long has the lump been there? If she's licking it, it's distressing her and there is an issue.

Edited by DaffyToons

Guest KennelMom
Can you call them and let them decide?

I don't know any e-vet that will give advice like that. If they say don't bring the dog in and the dog dies, would the owner hold them liable. Likewise, if they say bring the dog in and it turns out to be nothing, how happy will the owners be? Don't expect the person who answers the phone at the emergency vet to be able to provide accurate veterinary advice over the phone.

In this case, whether or not I took the dog to the e-vet or waited until tomorrow would really depend on how much diarhea the dog had. Generally if a dog is straining for days and nothing - or very little - is coming out, then I would get the dog to the vet asap (blockages can turn into major medical emergencies pretty quickly). If a dog is straining but producing a relatively expected amount of poo for what they'd eaten recently and was behaving normally, then it's something that I'd probably wait for the regular vet to treat.

When in doubt, I usually opt to go. I'd rather spend the extra $100 and have peace of mind.

Guest IndysDad

:huh2:headwall I don't understand...why make the dog suffer? IMVHO, if it's serious enought to make you post on a message board..it's serious enought to make a trip to the vet...the dog won't get treated/better unless you cowboy up and get thee to the veterinary clinic...

Just do it and save the poor dog some discomfort and distress!!

It is Sunday night there. If she is eating, drinking and not in distress I'd wait until morning and get her to your vet ASAP. That's just me. If I had all the $$$ I spent for needless e-vet visits because I panicked I'd have quite a stash of cash. That is my guideline now.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It sounds a lot like an abscessed anal gland. IF that's what it is, even given the time difference, it'd be better to take care of it now -- the extra $ will be worth it in comfort to the dog and comfort to yourself, because if it bursts before the regular vet can see you ... *urp* is all I can say.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, she has pooped, but it's a tiny amount and completely liquid. She's peeing okay. Her gums are a bit pale, but she has been running round the garden for a while. She seems okay in herself.

This could be nothing, or it could be a life and death thing--diarrhea when a dog appears to be constipated simply means that only the liquid can pass. She could have a blockage. The lump might be impacted anal glands, but if they were to rupture, she could become very ill.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would go to the vet.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How is Daisy today?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest argolola

Prayers for your sweet girl.

p.s. Our E-vet is $1,000 minimum on credit card just to walk in the door. My friend came out with a $5,000 charge. If you don't have $1,000 up front (at least) they will not see the animal.

Hope Daisy is doing well today; please give an update when you have time. :grouphug

p.s. Our E-vet is $1,000 minimum on credit card just to walk in the door. My friend came out with a $5,000 charge. If you don't have $1,000 up front (at least) they will not see the animal.

$1000?!?!? That's insane! And I thought mine was bad - $120 just to be seen, then any other charges for treatments, meds, etc.

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Guest daisydoodle123
It sounds a lot like an abscessed anal gland. IF that's what it is, even given the time difference, it'd be better to take care of it now -- the extra $ will be worth it in comfort to the dog and comfort to yourself, because if it bursts before the regular vet can see you ... *urp* is all I can say.

Good luck!

Yeah, it was an abscessed anal gland. Daisy is on antibiotics and painkillers. She has eaten some food, and even been on a nice walk. She seems a lot better now! :colgate Thank you for your thoughts.

Edited by daisydoodle123

Guest koolaidnconner
Prayers for your sweet girl.

That is insane. Our e-vet is 55.00 just to walk in and then plus meds and stuff.

Glad you got her to the e-vet and that she is now on the mend. Hope she heals fast! :goodluck:)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

We have had 3 babes with anal abscess and boy what a stinky and painful mess. It has to be so uncomfortable. Glad your little girl is feeling better. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Glad to hear it was something easily fixable, and especially glad she is feeling better. That has got to hurt, poor baby...