Bailey Was At E-vet Last Night

We were at the ball diamond today and Bailey got a puncture wound somehow...no it wasn't from Ben because he didn't want to run today :wow he just wanted to sniff along the fence.

Tonight her joint was swollen and she couldn't put weight on her leg...I was eating an ice cream cone and she didn't come over so I knew something was very wrong when I had to call her over to give her the last bite. So the e-vet put her on Metacam and Novolexin. I googled it but couldn't find any serious warnings so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's safe. I don't know a lot about medication so I want to make sure I'm not putting her in any danger.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments you are able to provide.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hope your baby heals fast.

Don't know anything about the novelxin.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How old is Bailey? I've used Metacam many times but no experience with Novolexin. Metacam like the others in it's class are safe used for a few days for pain. But extended use should require blood work for kidney and liver function. My guess is that it's short term for pain. But I have to admit, after what happened with Brady, I would insist on blood work before using it. I may also be paranoid. Hope Bailey is feeling better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Novolexin is cephalexin, an antibiotic. :)

Is it safe for greys...Bailey is 9.5 yrs. old

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Awww, poor girl - she's been having a rough May! Max tolerates metacam fine with food (I squeeze it bit by bit onto a piece of bread) (has she has a blood work up recently? Was there anything of note at that time), but if you find she needs it for more than a few days, you may want to take her see your regular vet. Dr. Stack's website, greythealth.com does not mention any issues with antibiotics, so overall I guess there aren't any general concerns.

Hugs to both of you! :grouphug

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Yup, just an antibiotic. It'll stave off any infection that might brood in that puncture. Poor girlie.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Sounds like you don't trust the vet?

I've not heard of any antibiotics that aren't safe for Greyhounds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We've used cephalexin many times. Usually for dentals, but most recently for a minor UTI. We saw no problems, other than some tummy issues. Giving with food helps, and if you need to, you can give famotadine (Pepcid AC) as well.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest GentleHugs

Cephalexin is a broad spectrum antibiotic used mostly for soft tissue injuries. It's safe to use but I'd give it with food. Can cause some tummy upset if given on an empty stomach. In some cases it might cause some diarrhea, too.

Clindamycin is better to give when you are dealing with a bone inury. It penetrates the bone better than cephalexin.

I had one of my dogs on cephalexin when he got bit by a spider years ago. He did well. Had another that just got through with a round of clindamycin for her dental because she had a lot of teeth removed and one was abcessed. She did well, too.

If your girl starts refusing food or ends up with watery, blowout diarrhea - call the vet and let them know so they can tell you what to do.

Did they exray that joint? I would just in case she fractured something.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like you don't trust the vet?

I've not heard of any antibiotics that aren't safe for Greyhounds.

We went to an e-vet so i don't know her. The trust issue is with me...I check drugs out on the internet before I give them to her, but I always like to hear what others have to say "just in case."

She's doing well...she's pretty much back to normal so I'll continue to monitor her once she's finished the meds. I was glad to hear it was a soft tissue injury and not a swollen joint...guess what my first thought was when I saw the swelling :(

Edited by greytpups

Guest GentleHugs
We went to an e-vet so i don't know her. The trust issue is with me...I check drugs out on the internet before I give them to her, but I always like to hear what others have to say "just in case."

She's doing well...she's pretty much back to normal so I'll continue to monitor her once she's finished the meds. I was glad to hear it was a soft tissue injury and not a swollen joint...guess what my first thought was when I saw the swelling :(

Oh I can imagine what your first thought was when you saw the swelling. I would be thinking the same thing or broken bone - one of the two. That was my first thought when Heisman got bit by a spider - not once but twice! His leg swelled and he started limping. Problem was - he was limping on the OTHER leg and not the one that swelled up like a balloon! :huh:blink: After he got examined and the vet determined it was in fact a spider bite - my vet and I had a good chuckle about Heisman limping on the leg that wasn't swollen! Btw - the leg he was limping on was fine because he stopped limping on it when we started to walk out of the vets. <_< I think he thought he had us going there for a minute. :P

I don't like to use a whole lot of meds either anymore because of side effects, etc.

Anyway, at least she's pretty much back to normal but I'd still continue to monitor her to be on the safe side. As long as she takes her meds with food, she should be ok. You might have to stick it in something to get her to take it or you might have to stick it down her throat but other than that - just make sure she finishes all of it unless the vet instructs you otherwise (such as in the case of severe diarrhea, vomiting, etc.).

Glad to hear she's back on the mend and doing much better. :)

Thanks for the advice..and cute story. One of her nicknames is Hoover so I just have to mix it in with her food :lol no disguises required