Grandpa (aka Champ)

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

Last night about 11pm, we were wrapping up a movie and Champ was dozing in his usual spot just in front of us by the fire place. All of a sudden he starts trying to get up but keeps falling over. Ken gets him on his feet and he can't walk (falling over, acting drunk)....he was panting...eyes wouldn't focus...general distress. I call our 24 hour vet as we are headed out the door. Champ is only a handful of days away from his birthday (14!) and we've had two seniors pass just before a birthday...so I was freaking out that we have some sort of a 'birthday curse' on our hounds or something. :unsure I've never seen Grandpa (or any of our dogs!) like this and it scared the crap out of me....

By the time we got to the vet, he wasn't distressed or panting but he was definitely very out of it. The vet diagnosed him with "Old dog vestibular disease" - nothing life threatening (as long as the dog can eat and drink) and it's just something we manage the symptoms of (nauseau from the dizzyness).

This morning he seems to be much better...just a little off balance when he shakes his head. He was up, as usual, barking at 5:30am to go out. :rolleyes: I usually hush him up for another hour, but this morning I was so happy to hear my old guy with his hoarse, raspy bark that I jumped out of bed to let him out :wub:

That is exactly what happened to Poodle last week! You have my sympathy as it scared me poopless. He threw up and was walking like a drunken sailor and falling over. Opinion is divided on if it is/was an ear infection or vestibular syndrome. I had never heard of it before.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sending some scritchies.

Seems to be the job of dogs to scare the mmmph out of us way too often.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Dixie had a vestibular incident. They are scary for sure. Gald he seems to be bouncing back.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest KRKWMU

Thank goodness he is OK today. I see this at work with older people too. Not much we can do...just precautions around the house and a watchful eye. ;)

Guest Janeysmom
and we've had two seniors pass just before a birthday...so I was freaking out that we have some sort of a 'birthday curse' on our hounds or something. :unsure

Not a curse at all, I've worked in and around nursing homes since i was 10 (volunteering of course at that age). Most people die either around their birthday or a big holiday.

Edited to add: I'm glad everything is okay. :grouphug to you all

Edited by Janeysmom

Guest AussieWilma

Miss Wilma thinks this calls for even more extra special treats on Champs birthday!! We're glad he is well!

and we've had two seniors pass just before a birthday...so I was freaking out that we have some sort of a 'birthday curse' on our hounds or something. :unsure

Not a curse at all, I've worked in and around nursing homes since i was 10 (volunteering of course at that age). Most people die either around their birthday or a big holiday.

1) Happy to hear that Grandpa is feeling a bit better this morning, but man, how scary is that?

2) I don't know the stats on when people die RE: holidays and B'days but my mom was killed in a car accident on July 4.

Weird correlation.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Janeysmom

1) Happy to hear that Grandpa is feeling a bit better this morning, but man, how scary is that?

2) I don't know the stats on when people die RE: holidays and B'days but my mom was killed in a car accident on July 4.

Weird correlation.

I'm so sorry Robin. This must be a tough time of year for you. We lost my Aunt between Thanksgiving and Christmas two years ago. She was always the life of the party on those holidays, and as the Matriarc of our family was usually the host. Holidays haven't been the same for us since.

Guest greypack

Here is a curious thought- has anyone ever had luck treating vestibular disorders with a holistic vet/ manipulation?

I'm asking because a few months back, in one of my classes, one of my professors said that people are often misdiagnosed with an inner ear infection upon complaint of dizziness. He said that simple manipulation can often cure the problem. We haven't learned yet what exactly he was talking about, but it stuck in my head out of curiosity.

There are quite a few potential causes of dizziness in people, and dogs as well I'm sure. Also, a 14 year old dog may be too fragile for many types of manipulation. But when I read this post, I remembered what my professor said, and I was curious to see if anyone here had experienced this.

That said, years back, my greatgrandfather fell more than once due to a dizzy spell. It usually happened after he stood up too quickly. His doctor at the time just cautioned him to stay hydrated and to be cautious and slow when moving about. That doc also attributed it to a common symptom of old age, and my grandpa's conscious effort to be careful ended up being enough.

:grouphug how frightening, poor guy

Guest greytbookert

Oh Heather, I know how scary that is! Unfortunately, I have a superstition/fear about the 14th birthday as well, so trust me, I know how you feel!

I'm so glad that Grandpa is doing better this morning. I swear these oldies but goodies can really make your heart skip a beat, in more ways than one!

Guest KennelMom

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! Pam and the others whose dogs have gone through the same thing know how scary it it! I've seen a seizure, I've seen a dog with a stroke...this was definitely different, which made for a (scary) learning experience.

Here is a curious thought- has anyone ever had luck treating vestibular disorders with a holistic vet/ manipulation?

I'm asking because a few months back, in one of my classes, one of my professors said that people are often misdiagnosed with an inner ear infection upon complaint of dizziness. He said that simple manipulation can often cure the problem. We haven't learned yet what exactly he was talking about, but it stuck in my head out of curiosity.

That is interesting...Other than an OTC med for nausea, the vet said the other common treatment would be antibiotics and steroids. Grandpa can't take steroids so that option is out. I'd definitely be in favor of looking for an alternative treatment for him if he seems to be having a continuous problem with it. So far this was his first episode.

I am glad to hear that Grandpa is feeling better. I hope Poodle is doing better too.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest vahoundlover

ACK!! How scary!! Glad Grandpa felt well enough to get you *up and at 'em* bright and early this morning.

So happy Grandpa is doing better. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.