What Is The Right Age To Spay?

Guest mayapep

Guest mayapep

Hi ,

I am going to be getting a greyhound puppy from a rescue group and they want to spay the dog before I get it which is around 8 weeks old. I think that is to young and can affect the development of the puppy. I am DEFINITELY going to get the dog fixed but I wanted to wait till at least 4-5 months till the dog was older? Any opinions, any vets that can give me their advice?

Guest LokisMom

I don't know if it is too young but am fairly certain if the vet is willing to do it then it is okay. I probably wouldn't wait until the puppy was 6 months old. I am basing this purely off cats(as my dogs have come to me already fixed) but I know cats do better when they are spayed/neutered younger. I cannot remember the exact age but I think our boy kitty was around 10-12 weeks.

Either way, I'd call a vet and discuss it but I would also trust the adoption group and their vet to an extent. Most vets will not do something that would harm the animals development.

Guest lotsagreys4me

I have adopted two puppies, each from different rescue groups. Each pup was spayed/neutered at 8 weeks of age. Neither of them had any problems. I am sure your adoption groups vet will know best.

Note that spay/neuter is not without its risks. Specifically:

"Neutered or spayed dogs have a one-half to threefold higher risk for developing bladder tumors and twice the risk of developing osteosarcoma as compared to intact dogs."

That's from:

www.geocities.com/rottndobie/SpayNeuterCancers.pdf

I believe the osteo study related to rottweilers, but they may have looked at other large breed dogs as well. I think the cut-off was one year, i.e.: the two groups consisted of dogs neutered before 1 year of age versus those left intact.

Which is not to say I oppose neuter. But one has to weigh the risk of a disease like osteo against getting stupid and ending up with a box of puppies on "Craigslist."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest KennelMom

I would wait as long as possible -at least a year old- *provided* you are 10000000% committed to ensuring that dog can not and will not contribute to the pet overpopulation problem while they are unaltered.

If the group is spaying before placing, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I think it's the most responsible thing the group can do for greyhounds in general.

Some adoption groups will not adopt out puppies unless they are spayed before they release them. Not sure what your adoption groups contract is, but you might not have an option if you want this girl.

The group I adopted a greyhound puppy from at 9 weeks would not release him to me unless he was neutered first. I discussed with them that I preferred to wait but they wouldn't budge no matter what contract, etc I offered up. I can understand where they come from and given the overpopulation of pets in general am not entirely sure I disagree with them.

My dog is now 7, he hasnt had any major health issues. He is on thyroid meds but I doubt that's related to early neuter. He IS very long, lean, and lanky which apparenlty is typical for a dog neutered early.

Guest SueG201

With greyhound pups you should wait until the growth plates fill in, usually at a year.

When you spay a grey puppy too early they are susceptible to long bone disease.

Just my opinion having raised a greyhound pup from 8 wks old

Guest LynnM

Medically, any time after the pup reaches about 2 pounds is safe as long as the vet is experienced in pediatric spay/neuter.

8 weeks to 6 months is the accepted time frame in the pet community.

I personally prefer (and this is PREFERENCE, not grounded in medical necessity) to wait for a greyhound (or any sighthound for that matter). Greyhounds are notoriously slow to mature and many are still quite adolescent looking and acting at 2 years old. I like to wait at least until then. I've only known one bitch to come in season for the first time before age two, and she was not a race dog. Males don't usually finish filling out until at least 2 years old.

Bottom line, if you really want this pup, there's no medical reason that precludes its neutering. If it was me adopting the pup, I'd either find a pup that I could raise intact and neuter at a later date (I am comfortable handling intact dogs and bitches, though it's certainly understandable that many folks aren't) or adopt a fully mature but young (2 to 2 1/2 year old) animal.

Lynn

Guest greyt2love

I don't have any medical expertise to offer, but I can say that Chloe was spayed before I adopted her at 4 months, and she is long, lean, and lanky. She just turned two, so she probaly has some filling out to do yet, but I fight to put weight on her. Marlee was 3 months when I got her and she was spayed 3 days prior to my picking her up. Right now she is just right, not skinny at all like Chloe was at 4 months.

Last winter, when I got my Yorkie pups, my vet recommended having her spayed before she reached 6 months to preclude certain illnesses. She did not suggest the same for the male who , at 10 months, has not yet been neutered.

Edited by greyt2love

Guest LynnM

Toy breeds typically come in season for the first time MUCH sooner than large dogs and ESPECIALLY greyhounds. It's perfectly within the realm of possibility for a Yorkie to come in season before 6 months (thus upping the risk of certain tumors later in life and certainly a PITA to deal with). With males, you don't have to worry about a messy estrus... they'll be obnoxious adolescents whether they have all their equipment or not. With greyhounds, time isn't so much of an issue... it's extremely unusual for a bitch to come in season before her 2nd birthday, whether or not she's received hormones to supress estrus.

If I have a young greyhound foster (under 3), that has yet to fill out or is a late bloomer, I leave them intact until they are ready to go to their forever home. It is SO much easier to build good weight (muscle) on an intact dog than one that's neutered. Of course if their behavior warrants, then they get a quick appointment at the vet, but those dogs are few and far between (um... JOPLIN, my 13 year old comes to mind.... he was completely impossible pre-neuter and still my worst housetraining challenge ever).

Lynn

Here's an interesting general article on the subject. The link was just posted on VETMED. The author is Kim Thornton Campbell, a very respected dog writer. Although she now has King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, her first dog was a retired racing Greyhound named Savannah. This has no relation to the article; it's just a little Greyhound tidbit. :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24597888/

Marcia in SC

Guest cjsgreys

My husband & I hand raised 4 greyhound puppies; Winken, Blinken, Nod & Stanley. Their mama died when they were 6 days old and the farm didn't have another lactating female.

They were adopted out at 10 weeks. We wrote the adoption contract so that the spay/neuters were to be done with our vet (we paid for it) at approx 6 months for the females & 9 months for the males. The contract stipulated that if the neutering wasn't done by 1 year we would take the pups back.

The pups are 15 months old now and doing GREYT!

Guest mayapep
The group I adopted a greyhound puppy from at 9 weeks would not release him to me unless he was neutered first. I discussed with them that I preferred to wait but they wouldn't budge no matter what contract, etc I offered up. I can understand where they come from and given the overpopulation of pets in general am not entirely sure I disagree with them.

My dog is now 7, he hasnt had any major health issues. He is on thyroid meds but I doubt that's related to early neuter. He IS very long, lean, and lanky which apparenlty is typical for a dog neutered early.

Thanks for the information, but I did want to send you this link to this article that does suggest that their can be some thyroid issues that are a result of early spay or neuter, but thank you again for the post. Just want every grey person to be informed. I am going to get the puppy spayed if they let me take is un spayed, but I just want to wait. I did tell the group that if they did not budge on the issue i understand but that I was not willing to take the pup spayed that early. Check out the site!

Fenway was neutered at 3.5 months old and has had no problems. Granted, he's only 18 months now but the adoption group required it before releasing him to me. He's super skinny and I have a hard time putting weight on him.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest LokisMom

Thanks for the information, but I did want to send you this link to this article that does suggest that their can be some thyroid issues that are a result of early spay or neuter, but thank you again for the post. Just want every grey person to be informed. I am going to get the puppy spayed if they let me take is un spayed, but I just want to wait. I did tell the group that if they did not budge on the issue i understand but that I was not willing to take the pup spayed that early. Check out the site!

Okay, I'm going to be the bad guy.

If it is that big a deal to you that they not spay the dog that early, I think that you should not get a puppy. There are plenty of older racers who are spayed/neutered later on in life at an age you seem to feel more comfortable with. Why push the issue? If it is just a preference and the group requires it then just do what the group wants so you can get your puppy. If it is a huge deal, and it seems like you think it is, I'd just get an older dog. That's just me.

I also doubt the group will release an unspayed puppy to someone who is that insistent that it not be spayed. Your motives may be pure but most groups I know would think HUGE Red Flag about that one. I know I would.

Guest mayapep

Okay, I'm going to be the bad guy.

If it is that big a deal to you that they not spay the dog that early, I think that you should not get a puppy. There are plenty of older racers who are spayed/neutered later on in life at an age you seem to feel more comfortable with. Why push the issue? If it is just a preference and the group requires it then just do what the group wants so you can get your puppy. If it is a huge deal, and it seems like you think it is, I'd just get an older dog. That's just me.

I also doubt the group will release an unspayed puppy to someone who is that insistent that it not be spayed. Your motives may be pure but most groups I know would think HUGE Red Flag about that one. I know I would.

Actually the reason that I am insistant on the LATER spay is becuase of the risk of proper growth plate developement, bone developement, thyroid issues , osteosarcoma, and osteoarthritis, not to mention that we all know how fast our greys can run and at how quickly they can get to that sppeed and with improper bone developement that can lead to fractures and breaks. I do not want to cause problems that can be avoided, and I am a huge proponent for spaying and all my dogs have been spayed, so for you to say it is a red flag, it is not that I don't want to get the dog spayed I just want it to be healthy and full-developed before it gets spayed. I want a healthy dog. A red flag for me is the idea that you have to follow a rule that can cause a determent to a dog just to follow a rule!

Guest LokisMom
Actually the reason that I am insistant on the LATER spay is becuase of the risk of proper growth plate developement, bone developement, thyroid issues , osteosarcoma, and osteoarthritis, not to mention that we all know how fast our greys can run and at how quickly they can get to that sppeed and with improper bone developement that can lead to fractures and breaks. I do not want to cause problems that can be avoided, and I am a huge proponent for spaying and all my dogs have been spayed, so for you to say it is a red flag, it is not that I don't want to get the dog spayed I just want it to be healthy and full-developed before it gets spayed. I want a healthy dog. A red flag for me is the idea that you have to follow a rule that can cause a determent to a dog just to follow a rule!

My point was that a group would likely consider it a red flag. Not that your motives are bad, again I said your motives were likely pure. Just that a group would likely look at that insistence as more than medical. Adoptions groups see all the bad and ugly on the part of adopters and potential adopters. Most tend to err on the side of caution.

The rule is in place for a reason. An early spay is not as detrimental to the dog as a backyard breeder getting ahold of them would be. Again, I am not saying you are one, just that the logic in the early spay would be, better to do that than force them to suffer at the hands of some puppy mill type person.

And again, if you are that concerned about all those problems, adopt an older dog, let someone else deal with all the possible ramifications of the early spay. It is the group and their rules. If it comes down to it, if they are going to stick with that rule and you aren't willing to accept that, you aren't going to be able to get the pup anyway right?

I adopted Roo at 8 weeks and had her spayed at 10 months --- the advice I got was to wait until her growth plates had closed and that early spaying wasn't recommended.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

My point was that a group would likely consider it a red flag. Not that your motives are bad, again I said your motives were likely pure. Just that a group would likely look at that insistence as more than medical. Adoptions groups see all the bad and ugly on the part of adopters and potential adopters. Most tend to err on the side of caution.

Having adopted two pups, one from an adoption group, I know they were extremely careful to place the pups in the litter with people who could be trusted to do the right thing and neuter when they're months old, not weeks old. It worked. You have to really know who you're adopting pups out to. The key is to adopt pups out to experienced, reliable people.

The growth plate issue is extremely important. One of the pups in my pup's litter was spayed early and boy, did she have a growth plate problem from that. I'm not sure if her leg ever got better.

Marcia

Here's an interesting general article on the subject. The link was just posted on VETMED. The author is Kim Thornton Campbell, a very respected dog writer. Although she now has King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, her first dog was a retired racing Greyhound named Savannah. This has no relation to the article; it's just a little Greyhound tidbit. :)

Marcia in SC

Respected by whom?

Totally irresponsible IMHO.

NOT spaying/neutering dogs has health risks as well.

Seems like it's the group's choice. They won't have any trouble placing the puppy if you don't take it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Marcia in SC

You: Respected by whom?

Me: By me, by at least one other poster here who also posted the link, and by many people in the dog fancy.

You: Totally irresponsible IMHO.

and

NOT spaying/neutering dogs has health risks as well.

Me: Would you mind elaborating on how this article is "totally irresponsible"? Your statement is sweeping, so I'm not sure if you mean every sentence is irresponsible or if later neutering is irresponsible or if it's something else.

There are a boatload of studies showing that early s/n saves shelter animals' lives. Agreed. There are studies showing no serious side effects from early s/n either, but they're not in Greyhounds, which as most of us would agree, are "A Breed Apart."

FWIW, our early neutered pups were both healthy and vigorous until they were 5 and 6 respectively. Then they started to develop serious ailments and were gone at 9 and 10. Some littermates also developed odd health issues in adolescence and middle age, including the growth plate closure problem.

OTOH, our adopted racers lived well into their teens. All but one were neutered by about age 3. One was 7 but this was the 80s and there were no rules about this. Our later neutered dogs simply were healthier and lived longer. Luck of the draw or not? I don't know. Maybe there is a study I've missed.

You: Seems like it's the group's choice. They won't have any trouble placing the puppy if you don't take it.

Me: Obviously it's the group's choice. I also never said they'd have trouble placing the puppy if I didn't take it; clearly there are plenty of people who will. Not sure of the relevance of that comment.

In time, folks who have adopted pups will be talking on GT about their health as they age. I'll be very interested in hearing how they do. Maybe they'll have better luck than we did; I dearly hope so. If we get a pup or two again I'd like to wait even longer than I did the last time and see how it goes -- if anyone will trust me to do the right thing and neuter later.