Almost Choked To Death...update

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

Thanks to all for the thoughtful notes and comments. Last night was pretty bad for all of us. Freight seemed dazed for awhile and then just stood like statute and looked at us. However, by the time he went to bed he was coming around to his old self and did not seem to be injured. He slept ok but would not eat the scrambled eggs DH fixed him for breakfast. We had better luck at dinner with elbow mac and boiled hamburger. Poor thing was already on meds and bland diet for a nasty bacterial infection and now this......

DH's back did not fare so well, he's in pain again, on the heating pad. Had just started to feel better from 2 steroid back injections he had this past month. Even worse, he has to fly from Florida to Virginia on Saturday to drive my Mom and her car back to Florida. He says he will be fine, I hope so.

Called the vet today and told them what happened and they said unless he was showing signs of pain or distress to wait and come in Friday morning since he was scheduled to come back soon for the bacterial thing anyway. We will see Doctor "C" in the am. Will let ya'll know how that goes.

DH has now mapquested the route to the E-vet and that is now on the refrig too. E-vet tele numbers are in memory dial on both cells and the home phone. Amazing what you think to do after something happens...

Thanks for the posts and mentions about first aid for dogs. The only reason I knew what to do was from a post thread that I found right after I joined the site. Once again, GT saved the day :yay

Oh, and I will be recognizing the 911 operator with a letter in our local editorial section of the newspaper!

Have a greyt night everyone and thanks so much for the emotional support!!!!

Edited by freightsmom

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am so glad your pup is OK. The other day my DF and I were talking about doggy first aid and I was explaining how the heimlich is done for a greyhound. I hope we never have to use it; I am glad you guys knew how to and were able to save him! I hope his vet exam reveals all is well with him.

OMG. :eek Thank God your DH was able to dislodge the biscuit. Sounds like lots of good learning came from the experience, as well as the compassion of a stranger to Freight's and your plight. I'm going to go post the e-vets number on my fridge so I don't have to ever search for it. :) Sending lots of hugs to you, and prayers for a peaceful night.

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Rosie_Dozer

I'm sorry you had such a scare. ((hugs)) I wonder how many on GT know how the heimlich is done for a greyhound ? (I don't) :blush

What a scary thing to go through!! I'm so glad Freight ended up being ok. That 911 operator sure sounds like a compassionate person.....I'm sure it was hard on her when she had to tell you that emergency services couldn't come out for a dog.

Our vet and our local emergency clinic has their info on business cards with magnets on the back. I have both on the side of the frig......I know exactly where they are in an emergency.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Winterwish

How scarey! You and DH did a great job. whew!

Glad the 911 operator was so thoughtful (not surprised tho' :) ). I hope you all have a restful nite,and hopefully everything will be alright for Freight. :hope

Guest ArtysPeople

:grouphug So glad things came out OK for you (so to speak).

So, where can I learn how to do the Heimlich on a grey? I assume it's a little different than for people or even other dogs, given their rib cage shape and size.

Guest SusanP

Is a Heimlich on a dog very different from a Heimlich on a person? Is it different for a greyhound than for other dog breeds?

Wow. How terrifying for you. I'm glad that the biscuit came out and that Freight is okay. Also, thanks for the reminder that we should all know lifesaving procedures. It's time for me to dig out the American Red Cross Pet First Aid book and refresh my memory.

That was really sweet of the 911 operator.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I had to do the Heimlich on Rob Roy (who weighed around 78# or more) and I did it with him standing up. It took 3 or 4 tries and out popped a piece of kibble.

Here is a brochure that is on my website on the products page (in case you forget). Print it out and put it on the fridge or inside a cupboard in the kitchen. There was no way I could put Rob on the ground -- I was over him and did the thrusts with him and I both standing:

Heimlich and CPR

I know how frightening it is :grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest vahoundlover

I'm glad Freight is OK!!

We had a similar experience with Muffet, I gave her her night night cookie and turned around to give the others theirs...when I turned back around she was pawing furiously at her face....I did the heimlich and nothing came out....I opened her mouth and the Milk Bone was wedged across the roof of her mouth. Hence the pawing and no gagging sounds. It took us a good hour to calm down..VERY frightening!

OMG how Scarey. Hope Freight is o.k. Also hope it did not cause your husband more problems. Please let us know what your vet says about Freight.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest ss556

How terrifying. I know it was awful to go through, but thank goodness he's ok. We had scary "episodes" twice with Alan. It takes a while to recover.

Guest boondog

Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm so glad he's okay. DH and I took the Red Cross course in Dewey a year and a half ago. It was very good. I just hope I could remember what to do if I ever need to. :grouphug

Guest greytexplorer

bumping for an update

Hope you got some sleep and your DH isn't hurting this am

The 911 operator is a peach! I would send her a card or something.

Anyway, hope Freight is feeling good this am too!!

OMG. I froze when I read your post. This is one of my worst nightmare scenarios. When I leave I always worry that maybe a cookie I gave to Merlin went down the wrong way or something and I'll come back to find him dead. He's crated, too. I am SO relieved that your DH managed to get it out. I hope Freight is ok and that you've managed to get some rest by now.

Sending many hugs :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Also, thank you for sharing this with us - it's a reminder to all that we need to have that information handy. Being obsessed with this happening I have contact details and directions to e-vet on my front door, and a how-to print-out for the Heimlich maneuver, but I'm still worried that I might not know what I'm doing...

Please send an update when you can... :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending prayers for all of you...I can't begin to imagine your terror. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest freightsmom

Sorry! I meant to give an update but I think I did something wrong. Update is under orginal post date. Freight says to tell his extended greyhound family thanks for all the hugs and good wishes.