Should We Go To The Vet?

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

About a week ago I closed the door on Angler's tail :( and since then it hasn't healed very well. I've been cleaning it and changing the bandages, but this morning DH woke me up to tell me he thought Angler was bleeding on his leg. Nope, it was the tail wound, the bandage was off and it was dripping blood.

So I'm thinking "vet", but I'm wondering what he could do that I couldn't? I don't think stitches are in order here, it's more of an abrasion.

Guest ArtysPeople

Do a search under health and medical for "happy tail". This isn't really a case of happy tail, but it sounds like you're having similar bandaging/healing problems, so there might be some helpful tips in there. I don't know if you should go to the vet or not; I'd be asking the same question myself.

So I'm thinking "vet", but I'm wondering what he could do that I couldn't? I don't think stitches are in order here, it's more of an abrasion.

That's what I thought when I closed my girls tail in the car door a week or so ago. Though it looked nasty I decided to proceed similarly to you. Thankfully hers is healing well but if I had ended up in the position you are in I would haul her to the vet. Seems like at this point the most you should have is some weeping, not bleeding.

How are you cleaning & bandaging it? Just curious. For the first few days I used diluted betadyne to clean it each morning, put an ouchless telfa pad around it, cover that with a few loose wraps of vet wrap & then taped it on with elastikon tape. That held well & gave it plenty of padding in case she whacked her tail on something. After a few days I started removing the bandage at night & putting EMT gel on it. Had not used EMT with the bandage because it sticks to bandages so much that it seems to cause harm when the bandages are removed. (At least that has been my experience.) In the morning I would clean it again & rebandage it so she couldn't lick it or hit it against anything.

Hope, whatever you decide, that this heals soon.

I took Buddy to the vet when that happened to him. His tail was actually skinned in an area. :( They told me to not change the bandage for a few days, but I did it anyway, and a good thing, too; the dressing was stuck fast to the wound, and it took a lot of water, and a lot of crying on Buddy's part to get it off.

After that I changed the bandage DAILY. It took awhile to heal up, but it did.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Snowy8

I would go to the vet...an infection may set in. He can do something...when you think you should go to the vet, then you should.

I would go to the vet. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I encourage people not to mess around with tails that won't heal. Those wounds can be really difficult to get to heal and can lead to potentially serious infections. Not to scare you, just saying, I'd pay $40 or so for some medical input in this case. :)

I hope it heals up quickly - those tails really are tough!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I always advocate going to the vet but you will probably have to wrap a bandage very tightly around the abrasion and then wrap some moleskin over that to protect it from getting bumped again.

Guest jupiterooos

Ack! So I called to make an appointment, and the earliest available is next Tuesday :blink: That's unusual - typically I can get in the same day or the next. My only other option is the e-vet, which I don't really think is necessary, right? I'm going to try some of the tail care tips referenced above and see how that goes.

About a week ago I closed the door on Angler's tail :( and since then it hasn't healed very well. I've been cleaning it and changing the bandages, but this morning DH woke me up to tell me he thought Angler was bleeding on his leg. Nope, it was the tail wound, the bandage was off and it was dripping blood.

Tail wounds can be hard to heal. What are you cleaning it with? Peroxide can actually impede healing. In my personal human experience keeping things tightly bandged takes a lot longer to heal too. I'm the fix things with spit and bailing wire gal so I'd probably try EMT gel (LynnM lovingly refers to it as "scab in a tube") and no bandage first.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest jupiterooos

I had been using peroxide - it was recommended to me for general wound care. I'll skip it next cleaning. I don't think leaving the bandage off is an option, Angler is a licker, and an obsessive one. There had been a scab formed last night, but by the morning he had licked it clean off.

Problem is after the initial cleaning peroxide can also eat away the new tissue that is trying to grow back. Put the EMT gel on, watch him like a hawk and/or distract him while it scabs, then tape a plastic pink hair curler (at $1 store) over it. Worth a shot.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest jupiterooos

That I can do. All I will need is some peanut butter and a Kong :)

Where can I find this EMT gel? I've never heard of it.

Guest greytexplorer

Hydrogen peroxide disrupts the granularizing process. that's bad, m'kay?

Use Hydrogen peroxide at the first cleaning only, and use it generously!

EMT gel, or vet prescribed ointment, after that!

I equate tail wounds on dogs and cats like foot wounds on a person who has diabetes.

Nothing to mess around with.

Agree that antibiotics may be needed. How many days has it been since the injury occurred?

Best wishes,

Chicago, northside. Is there something similar I could get at a Petsmart or a people pharmacy?

It's often sold at tack shops.

eta: EMT, I mean.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest ArtysPeople

My understanding is that EMT gel seals in everything -- good, bad, and otherwise -- and you can end up with a really nasty infection if you don't clean the wound really, really, really well before using it, so I'd be very cautious about going that route. (though HubCityPam does know her spit and baling wire ;)

When Arty sliced his foot last month, The Doggfather and others recommended a daily epson salt bath, which is what they use on the tracks for such injuries. We soaked his injury in a bath of about 1 cup epson salts to a gallon or two of warm water for five minutes a day for a week, and saw huge improvements. I'd try the same thing with his tail if you're seriously considering skipping the vet.

Guest jupiterooos
When Arty sliced his foot last month, The Doggfather and others recommended a daily epson salt bath, which is what they use on the tracks for such injuries. We soaked his injury in a bath of about 1 cup epson salts to a gallon or two of warm water for five minutes a day for a week, and saw huge improvements. I'd try the same thing with his tail if you're seriously considering skipping the vet.

We'll try this - epsom salts are one thing we have in abundance. I'm not planning to skip the vet (unless the tail shows some dramatic improvement) but I can't get in for almost a week anyway.

Gurnee is a bit far :( It might be faster to just order online. At least then I'll have it on hand for future use.

GEM carries EMT gel and the deliver very quickly.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Lovely

my pup has happy tail...and keeps breaking open her scab, or chewing her stitches out...so after a month of so of fighting, infections and reopening the tail...the vet decided to dock it....so today she went to the vet and its getting docked tomorrow....

Yeah, I'm sad, I like her tail, but her having such happy tail, its the best for her. It was just healed (no scab, almost recovered) and last week, she busted it open again cause she is too happy.

I agree with going to the vet...Linny hates ppl touching her tail, she is tired of it always being bandaged. The vet did put plastic tubing around her tail so she cant bang it and break it open.

But if your going to bandage, I recommend not applying any tape the her fur...try pre-wrap or selfstick athletic tape.