Worst News Ever...

Guest Laura76

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RooRoo
:cry1 This is so devastating. I'm so sorry. Remember family and friends will help get you through this time - we sure will here. Hugs to you and Darryl :grouphug

I'm sorry. Sending gentle hugs for all your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry to hear your news :(.

We only had 2 weeks with Teddy after he was diagnosed with osteo at the age of 6 in 2006. He was not a candidate for amputation either so we just took time off work and spoiled him rotten: all his favourite foods, letting him sleep on the bed with us and lots of love and cuddles.

I wish you strength during this most difficult time :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Laura,

Hugs for you. I see you found Circle of Grey...I posted there.

Hoping today is a better day for you all.

Pam

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry. I wish there was something that I could say or do to help you...know that my heart and prayers are with you. We lost our 13 year old little girl last December with Lymphoma. The diagnosis is always so devastating. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Laura76

I feel dumb today. I didn't go to work. I can't stop crying. I know that sounds selfish, but i think of the years i am being short changed on i get so angry. The provicox and Tremadol seem to help with the pain. I am trying to take it one day at a time, but i cant stop thinking about the day...when it comes, i dont want him to be alone, but i cant bring myself to be in the room with him.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I am trying to take it one day at a time, but i cant stop thinking about the day...when it comes, i dont want him to be alone, but i cant bring myself to be in the room with him.

I understand. My husband felt the same way. He didn't want to remember our dog that way. He left and I stayed in the room. In some ways it is a relief. You know their pain has finally stopped. Don't feel guilty if you don't want to be there. To tell the truth, I don't think it matters to the dog. Usually, they are feeling bad enough they don't care if you are there or not.

I feel dumb today. I didn't go to work. I can't stop crying. I know that sounds selfish, but i think of the years i am being short changed on i get so angry. The provicox and Tremadol seem to help with the pain. I am trying to take it one day at a time, but i cant stop thinking about the day...when it comes, i dont want him to be alone, but i cant bring myself to be in the room with him

It was hard but I pushed those thoughts out of my mind with Mahogany. She had 2 years off the farm. Fortunately, she was loved by her owner.

I constantly reminded myself not to waste what time was left thinking about "the day".

When "the day" comes, it is peaceful (especially if they use a prep shot) and I simply cannot send my "kids" off alone. Yes, it's hard--really hard, but I do it for them.

Please stop thinking about the time you won't have him and focus on now, which is where he lives :grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

However, she did say, even if we did amputation and chemo, we would be lucky to get another 4 months out of him. I have always been a firm believer that both of these things are for the owners and are NOT for the dog.

Amputation and chemo is NOT always for the owners! Bone cancer is EXTREMELY painful for a dog! If the dog is a good candidate for surgery then the BEST way to control the pain is to remove the leg with the tumor! However, if the cancer has metastasized or the tumor is high in the shoulder or hip or the dog is older, then amputation is not always best. Controlling pain from Osteo is difficult :(

Miss Nellie lived 5 months to the day after her amputation...and she was very happy without that painful leg! She ran faster with 3 legs than she did with 4! I think it was the best thing we could have ever done for her. She wasn't ready to give up and we gave her a second chance and she fought a good battle and lived very happily in those last 5 months of her life....but in the end, cancer will always win :(

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

It's a good thing that you took the day off - as it is so much to process that you may not have functioned at work anyway. I mistakenly thought that coming to work will distract me but I ended up bawling the good part of the day at my desk that my manager sent me home.

I agree wholeheartedly with Burpdog. You can't plan for the end or you'll end up regretting that you didn't make the most of what time you have left. If and when it comes, you'll figure out what is best for you all, and no decision is wrong. People handle it differently. In our case, my DH tried to but couldn't handle it and fell apart that he had to leave. To me, there was no question that I was going to be the last image that he will see before his spirit soared.

In the meantime, I think a special treat for Darryl is in order...

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Edited by Naty

I feel dumb today. I didn't go to work. I can't stop crying. I know that sounds selfish, but i think of the years i am being short changed on i get so angry. The provicox and Tremadol seem to help with the pain. I am trying to take it one day at a time, but i cant stop thinking about the day...when it comes, i dont want him to be alone, but i cant bring myself to be in the room with him.

Hi Laura,

You are so wise to take time off. The only way out is through and by feeling what you need to feel, that is the way through. I think about "the day" a lot and currently my dog does not have any medical issues. I think about it because from where I sit I think we make a pretty profound deal when we open our hearts to our pups--and to life in general. We are the only species cursed with the understanding of mortality; fortunately, as others have mentioned, our dogs live in the moment. It is a life lesson that I think having dogs teaches us: to try and remain present but to accept the "day" when it comes. When I had to put my cat down I remember one thing that made a huge difference to me: I had a very loving vet do it. I felt like my cat was in wonderful hands. The vet was smiling, peacefully. She seemed to know that she was sending him out of his pain. Without words I felt that she was telling me we made the right decision. I know focusing on the "the day" isn't probably the way to go but I did want to share that--that to me, having a very kind person help my cat pass really, really helped.

Big hugs--I am so sad for you.

Guest StagnBob

:grouphug

Treasure every moment, make lots of memories, they will last you a lifetime.

Sending all our love.

Lisa

Guest trevdog

Spend as much time as you can with him spoiling him rotten. Try not to get upset or cry around him as he will know something is wrong. Remember he doesn't know why he is feeling bad and if the meds make him feel better help him enjoy his time with you. If he enjoys car rides, take him often. Take lots of pictures too.

Just be careful and don't let him overdo it, OS is very painful and you don't want him to do anything to weaken his leg any further that can be avoided.

:bighug :bighug

I'm sitting here in fog of tears for all the pain cancer has caused (and will cause), but knowing that what folks are saying about taking the moment and living it, instead living as if your friend was already dead, is such important advice.

Is it worth splinting the affected leg to support it?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Treat each day as a gift and make the most of it...lots of yummy food, snuggles and pictures...don't forget the pictures, lots of pictures.

Damn, I hate cancer!!!! Too many precious babies taken from us. :cry1

Guest HeatherDemps

It's okay to take time off to grieve the diagnosis, etc. I would have done the same except we found out the Friday before Christmas, so I had the weekend and the 2-day holiday to process everything. In a way, it was a relief to come back to work because I could distract myself with normal day to day BS.... I just tried as hard as I could not be be a wreck in front of my dog because he didn't know what was going on and I didn't want to scare or stress him. I had to leave the room a few times.... it was hard because with the pain meds working, no one could tell that he had cancer- he was SO normal again.

All you can do is what is best for your pup and enjoy the time that is left and make many memories to cherish always....

Edited by HeatherDemps