Bold Carrier

LadyBailey

Bold Carrier

October 13, 1997 ~ March 30, 2008

Carrier ~ Care Bear, Bear Bear, The Bear – some of the many names we called you. I remember when I first saw you on the adoption page at Race the Wind in Kansas. I fell in love instantly and called Tim. I told him I found you… Bailey’s littermate! He said, “Get him!” I said, “But he’s in Kansas! But the answer was still “Get him”. So dad drove down to Kansas to pick you up. You came into our home as if you were always here. It was amazing being able to reunite you and Bailey. We saw that special bond right from the beginning. You were the fortunate one that was never put in place by Bailey…Andy and Ella not so much.

You were our alpha male that was the most gentle soul. We always said we could trust you with a baby, that’s how gentle and loving we knew you were. I remember one day when our friends came over with their two little girls. You were asleep in the den on the couch and we went in to see what the girls were doing. They took every dog toy from the basket and placed it around you…all we could see was your sweet face peaking out and you couldn’t have been happier. We know that in your last home you lived with a very special girl, named Janae and I think she helped make you like this…gentle & calm… you loved children. You also loved people…probably more so than other dogs we think. You were always the one pulling to say hello with your happy face and big eyes and tail wagging. And then how you would lean into them and they would give you rubs. You would do this as we would take you guys for a pee in the yard. Thinking you were going to do your business, you would instead come jaunting towards us and then lean with all our body weight on our legs. Sometimes you would even catch us off guard and practically push us over with your strong leaning. God, we miss that.

The house is quiet without you sweet Bear. You always made sure to let us know where you were. You were a wonderful communicator and we always knew what you wanted or needed. We always knew where you were because that big black nose of yours was always pushing things around. It was the most wonderful sound to hear. You would push the door against the wall, with the door handle banging, banging, as you would wait for your food. I would tell you, “I’m working on it buddy! ;)” but it never seemed quick enough for you...you little monkey. Or those times when you would lick and push around the bottles for recycling sitting at the back door, ever so often we would hear one fall and you would walk away like it wasn’t you. And when you wanted fresh water, you would bang the water bowl making sure most of the water that you didn’t want was on the floor. You always brought a smile to you face with “badness” and we loved it all. You also lived up to your name, Carrier. You would clean up after the others and carry toys back into the living room. We know you loved your routine and if was somewhat modified, you would let us know that this was not working for you and you would be sure to carry one of our belongings into your bed or jus drop it in the middle of he house… giving us just enough of a message to let us know that we were close to losing that item.

If something was out of place, it was because you carried it there. You would carry the clean collars from the laundry room into the living room and every so often we would come home and our slippers would be there too. I remember the one time you carried 6 water bottles from the kitchen to the den. I can just see you, taking one by one, thinking, “this will teach them!” I’m sorry that sometimes schedules changed, but you know that you and the others are the centre of our world and always a top priority.

You came into our lives just as we were starting a new chapter. We adopted you on June 5, 2002. Two months later we were getting married and buying our first home. You and Bailey were there for all of those times. In the car when we went to look at our first home, on our honeymoon to Prince Edward Island, you guys went everywhere with us.

You loved long walks and we made sure to give you those as often as we could. Our drives down to the beach on Sunday mornings and you would walk along the shore always looking back to make sure that we weren’t too far behind. Or our trail walks where you would smell deer and spot rabbits well before the other three even had clue. My goodness you loved the deer. I remember one time we climb the hill in Paris, the whole time tracking the deer and just as we got to the top, they were out of sight. You sat down and cried. You were so sad that you weren’t able to follow them. I’m sorry, but we didn’t want to lose you.

You introduced us to so many wonderful traits that we never saw or heard before. Your sweet roo that you demanded each morning. People loved hearing you roo. The house is so quiet with you. One week after you left us, Andy stood on the porch and started a roo. Ella joined, but Bailey just watched. I don’t know why they tried, but I don’t think they were ready. We haven’t had a proper roo since you left us, but I promise you we will once we are all ready.

We loved how you would trance in the palm plant or in the bushes outside. All we could see was your cute furry bum sticking out and you ever so gently walked around and then all of a sudden your big brown eyes would peak out the other end.

We loved how you would dig the largest holes in the yard, but never sit in them… that was for your sister to do. You were a good brother to her and always watched out for the others when they needed you.

We loved how you were never able to kill anything even though you had caught many squirrels. They all got away alive! The funny time when you had gotten up to eat an ant that was crossing your path and in the end we were the ones that had to remove the ant from our lip because you didn’t even kill it. You were a gentle boy. Your Lambies that you have had for 5 years are still intact, squeaker and all. Don’ worry sweetheart – they will remain safe.

As we saw you getting older, we decided that it was time to move to a more suitable house – Operation: Bungalow for the Bear. When we found this house, we knew it would be perfect for you – no stairs to climb and a big yard, quiet yard to suntan in.

We are glad that you were able to enjoy one summer there and a warm cozy winter in front of the fire. I would have given anything for you to feel the warm soft grass under your feet this spring. As the snow began to melt, you were thrilled to find patches of grass. I watched you dig you last hole the night before you left us. That spot is still there and I go and stand there often and smile as I know that you left us a mark.

There were so many things that we loved about you Carrier and we will never forget you. You are so deep in our hearts that you will forever be with us no matter where we go or how old we get.

When we found out that you were sick, we were devastated. We promised you that would give you the best care and always make sure that the decisions we made were for you and not for us. You were so brave and we knew that you knew where you were going when we would get into the car for that long drive to Ohio. But you never complained. You stole people’s hearts when they met you – right down to the guards at the boarder – that was always funny because we were always waved through when they saw your sweet face peering out the window.

It was an honor caring for you. I am thankful that I was able to be off for the last 5 months so it allowed for me to be home with you, sleep with you during the nights when you were not feeling well, take you for walks during the day when the sun was shining and just rub and hug you when you needed it. You taught us so much. You were the one battling this disease, yet you never complained until it was unbearable for you. You were always ready to roo, play with your toys and go for walks. Your strength gave us strength and hope.

Carrier, you were a most wonderful friend and we miss you so much. We hope you are happy and your body whole again. Your first mom, Cindy painted this picture of you called “It’s good to be alive.” You will be alive with us forever. Your spirit in our hearts and your presence felt always.

100_1472.jpg

Run free and feel the soft grass on your feet, dig big holes, roo as loud as you can and drink Guinness our dear sweet boy. We love you.

Mum, Dad, Bailey, Andy and Ella

12EM9914.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. :cry1

What a lovely tribute to your sweet handsome boy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Carla

Eva and Family,

I am so so very sorry for your loss.

Carrier is smiling down upon you thanking you for all you did for him.

Godspeed Carrier, you are greytly missed.

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy. Godspeed, Carrier. :gh_run:brokenheart:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest greyt2love

A beautiful tribute ! It's funny how attached you can get to a dog you have never met. As I read the story of Carrier's surgery, treatment and progress, I grew to love him. I'm sitting here at my desk with tears rolling down my face. It must be so much harder for you who lived with him, loved him, and fought for him till the end. God bless and God speed . :f_red Run free of pain, sweet Carrier !

Guest jettcricket

What a beautiful tribute to a such a special, beautiful boy..... :f_red

"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears....t'wis heaven here with you".
Edited by jettcricket

Farewell angel Carrier... you are now whole and free of all pain.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest TBSFlame

Thank you for sharing that wonderful tribute for your sweet boy. I have been trying to write one for Beecher but it is coming slow.

Guest grey_dreams

All the love and joy of Carrier's life with you shines through your words. He has touched so many lives - mine included. I'm very sorry for your loss, but happy that you were able to experience life shared with such a special soul. Godspeed Carrier.

Guest Machbragal

I think that's the most beautiful thing I've ever read. My goodness, your love for Carrier just shines through every word. Can't help but cry with you, here. I miss him so much, too -- and I never met him. Every little detail of your tribute makes his uniqueness so much clearer and makes him even more dear. Carrier, how precious you are! How blessed to have known about you we are.

Thank you for sharing your boy with us. We loved him too. God speed Carrier. We miss you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren