Osu Newsletter

I get the Quarterly Newsletter put out by OSU.

Here's the one I just received, there's some interesting info here:

GREYHOUND QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER

ISSUE 4 – WINTER 2008

Greyhounds Health and

Wellness Quarterly

BONE TUMORS IN GREYHOUNDS

Primary bone neoplasms are common in dogs. Most primary bone tumors in dogs are malignant, in

that they usually cause death as a result of local infiltration (e.g., pathologic fractures or extreme

pain leading to euthanasia) or metastasis (e.g., pulmonary metastases in osteosarcoma). Neoplasms

that metastasize to the bone are extremely rare in dogs; some malignant tumors that occasionally

metastasize to bones are transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary tract, osteosarcoma of the

appendicular skeleton, hemangiosarcoma, mammary adenocarcinoma, and prostatic

adenocarcinoma.

Osteosarcomas (OSAs) are the most common type of bone cancer in retired racing Greyhounds

(45%) and the most common cause of death in the breed (25%). It affects more commonly the front

limbs (75%) than the rear limbs (25%) and there is a predilection for males (59%).

The cause of OSA in Greyhounds is unknown, but it has been suggested that the repetitive trauma

and fatigue in their bones during racing plays a role in the disease, particularly in the right limbs that

sustain most of the weight while running counterclockwise on the tracks. However, there is no

significant difference in the proportion of right limb tumors versus left limb tumors in Greyhounds.

More studies are needed to determine if their racing careers are a risk for the disease or if there is a

genetic component.

OSA in Greyhounds commonly affects:

1. The upper front leg bone, below the

shoulder joint, (proximal humerus).

2. The lower part of the front leg bone,

1 above the wrist joint (distal radius).

3. The lower part of the rear leg bone,

above the knee, (distal femur).

“Although, they can affect any bone or

location”.

The most common signs in dogs with bone tumors are limping and/or swelling. The onset of signs is

variable, and the degree of lameness varies from mild to a non-weight-bearing lameness. In contrast

with other breeds, Greyhounds frequently present with a spontaneous pathological fracture without

prior history of lameness (1 in 5 cases).

The diagnosis of OSA usually includes radiographs (affected bone and thorax); because other

primary bone tumors and some infectious lesions can mimic the radiographic features of OSAs, fineneedle

aspiration (FNA) of the lesion may be obtained. We do not recommend biopsy in Greyhounds

because we typically do not obtain a diagnostic sample, and because due to the small, fragile bones

in the hounds we are more concerned about biopsy-induced fractures.

Radiographically, OSAs exhibit a mixed lytic-proliferative (destructionproduction)

pattern of the affected bone. Once a presumptive

radiographic diagnosis has been established and if the owners are

contemplating treatment, thoracic radiographs should be obtained to

determine the extent of the disease. We usually obtain three radiographic

views of the thorax. Only approximately 10% of dogs with OSA initially have

radiographically detectable lung lesions; the presence of metastases is a

strong negative prognostic factor.

A fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of the

affected area is a simple, painless

procedure that rarely requires chemical

restraint (i.e.; sedation) and it allows the

microscopic analysis of the cells.

OSA cells are usually round or oval, have

distinct cytoplasmic borders, have a

bright blue, granular cytoplasm, and have

excentric nuclei with or without nucleoli.

The treatment of choice for dogs with OSA is amputation with adjuvant single-agent or

combination chemotherapy. The median survival time in Greyhounds with OSA treated with

amputation alone is approximately 4 months, whereas in dogs treated with amputation and

chemotherapy (carboplatin or doxorubicin) it is approximately 12-18 months. Here at The

Ohio State University, we use either carboplatin or doxorubicin for a total of 4 to 5

treatments, starting the day of the suture removal (8-10 days after amputation), we check

the complete blood count (CBC) and chemistry profile before every chemotherapy

treatment, and thoracic radiographs every 3 months.

Amputation in Greyhounds with OSA frequently results in severe postoperative bleeding

(24-48h post-surgery) starting around the surgical site, leading to subcutaneous blood

accumulation in the other limbs, ventral thorax, and ventral abdomen; these dogs typically

have normal hemostasis profiles (APTT, OSPT). Administration of aminocaproic acid

(Amicar®) usually prevents severe postoperative bleeding.

. Less than 20% of dogs undergoing chemotherapy

experience clinically relevant adverse effects, which

include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of

appetite. However their frequency and severity are

not as high as in humans. The prevalence of adverse

effects appears to be lower in Greyhounds than in

other dog breeds. These adverse effects are

typically managed with medications, chemo drug

dose reduction, or changing to a different

chemotherapeutic agent.

Pain control is essential in dogs where surgery is not an option;

we have used either NSAIDs (carprofen, deracoxib, meloxicam) at recommended doses, or

bisphosphonates such as alendronate (Fosamax®), or pamidronate (Aredia®), every 3 to

6 weeks. Drugs such as tramadol (Ultram) may also be beneficial.

If the dog is not a good candidate for amputation, because

of problems in the other limbs or if owners are reluctant to

allow the veterinarian to amputate the limb, local

radiotherapy plus carboplatin may be of some benefit.

Management of nausea and vomiting episodes is limited to the use of antiemetics and

supportive therapy. The drugs of choice are metroclopramide (Reglan®) or maropitant

(Cerenia®). Supportive fluid therapy (if necessary) and treatment with bismuth

subsalicylate products (Pepto-Bismol®) orally three or four times a day, are usually

effective in controlling diarrhea, which usually resolve in 3 to 5 days.

Dogs with pulmonary metastases typically do

not show any signs; radiographs are the only

way to detect the nodules, which can be single

or multiple.

Surgical removal of the metastatic pulmonary

nodules (i.e., metastasectomy) followed by

additional carboplatin or doxorubicin therapy

may be recommended for a dog that has been

treated with chemotherapy after amputation

of the limb and in which one to three

pulmonary metastatic lesions are detected.

A secondary syndrome seen in some Greyhounds

with pulmonary metastasis is hypertrophic

osteopathy (HO), which is a bilateral, symmetrical

soft tissue swelling of the lower legs. The limbs may

be warm to the touch and are often painful when

pressed. Unfortunately, when there is evidence of

metastatic disease, the prognosis is poor.

Here at OSU, by the time of detection of metastasis we use metronomic therapy (low

doses of chemotherapy and other drugs); we use cyclophosphamide every other day,

piroxicam every other day, and artemisinin, an herbal drug with antitumor effects. We have

had excellent results with artemisinin with OSA cells in the test tube.

ISSUE 4 – WINTER 2008 GREYHOUND QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER

Greyhound Corn

Multiple corns in a Greyhound pad

CORNS IN GREYHOUNDS

You can consult the following articles for

more information on corns and hulling:

http://www.grassmere-animalhospital.

com/corn_hulling.htm

http://www.grassmere-animalhospital.

com/corns.htm

Corns are a very common finding in the pads of the

Greyhounds; they can be single or multiple, and may or

may not cause pain and/or severe lameness.

Since Greyhounds have a high prevalence of bone cancer,

owners and vets frequently spend a considerable amount

of time and money in orthopedic consults and bone

radiographs, trying to find a reason for their Greyhound

is limping, and sometimes a simple thing as a corn is

missed.

There are numerous reported ways to treat corns. Everything from application of duct

tape to the corn to toe amputation has been reported. We currently use a hulling

technique, sometimes followed by the application of the anti-wart medication Aldara® or

Abreva®. The hulling procedure will need to be repeated as often as every 3 weeks

although we have had some corns fail to re-grow following several treatments.

I read that last week.

Some good info, I really like the idea of a fine needle aspiration rather than a bone biopsy. Something to keep in mind if you are ever faced with the need.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thanks. That was very interesting and I've saved it.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Hokiebuck

Is there an electronic version of the newsletter? I'd like to send it to my Vet and others, but this version on GT doesn't print well.

Is there an electronic version of the newsletter? I'd like to send it to my Vet and others, but this version on GT doesn't print well.

Contact OSU for a direct copy. It comes in Adobe Format. If you can't get it, PM me your email addy and I'll forward the email to you with the attachment.

I guess now would be a good opportunity to mention that if anyone knows of any greyhounds with osteo that are not good candidates for amputation, there is an alternative therapy that is experimental. The product itself, because it would be for investigational use, would be free- but one would have to find a vet willing to administer it.

I can't put any more information here as it would be considered "promotional." Send me a PM.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest HeatherDemps

Thanks for sharing this information- I agree the stats are pretty scary. Unfortunately, I have too much first hand knowledge of this disease. Praying always that a cure is found so no more hounds or families must go through this.....

It is a super newsletter, I got it by email too. Anyone need it or want it, pm me your email and I will be happy to forward it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

The newsletter is available online. Here

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.