Major Big D In All Three Greys

Guest orchidman

If you give the dogs Pepto & they throw up afterwards, dont' be surprised if their tongues turn BLACK!! (Happened to me after a trip to Costa Rica - I went to the emerg. room thinking I had some dread tropical disease!! The docs didn't know what was up but eventually a nurse came in & said "did you take Pepto then throw up?" Ummm y yeah, why? Mystery solved!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds yucky at your house, Trish! :P In our house, this would be (another!) case of less is more: simplify what they're taking in, and watch what comes out. Take samples to the vet. Bet it's not giardia. Seems to mostly affect puppies, I've read. But, it's also just about impossible to find in a stool sample test, so you'd have to rule it out by symptoms and treating "as if". (Went through that with Wabi for the first year or so we had her!)

Good luck if you do try the pepto. I've never given it to a dog that kept it down! Blech!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

What the Pepto and Kaopectate have in them is so scant that it won't hurt the dogs. I have not read good things about giving it to the cats though.

Personally I use a Kao-Pec from the vet that is just kaolin and pectin without the other stuff. I also keep Pepto tabs handy because Red closes his throat for the Kao-Pec. :blink:

I hope all is better tomorrow :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

For vomiting AND the big D, eliminate all food first for 24 hours. I suggest allowing them to drink as much Pedialyte as they can. That will replace any fluids they have lost. Then introduce bland foods very slowly and in small amounts. Rice and boiled chicken (no fat) is good to start with for food. We had a virus here with seven dogs sick at one time (one came from the track with it and got the others sick). This helped everyone. This advice came from a trainer. I hope everyone gets well!!!

I thought I heard somewhere that you shouldn't give your animals Pepto Bismol because it has some acetaminophen in it?

Not the case. Pepto Bismol contains a salicylate, which is *related* to *aspirin*. Unless you have a dog who is deathly allergic to that -- I have never had one -- it's a waaaaaaaaaay safe thing to give. Much safer and more sensible to give than Immodium IMHO. Pepto coats the gut (rather than slowing the action thereof), so you don't have Immodium's potential of keeping bad bacteria in there. It would also be extremely difficult to overdose a dog on Pepto. The same cannot be said of Immodium -- just ask Finnsliz.

Hope your kids are better soonest, Trish!

P.S. Someone on this board turned me on to the NONchewable Pepto caplets. They work great. No mess, no fuss, just pop 'em down the throat. If I have only the chewables, I crush them well and mix with peanutbutter.

P.P.S. There's nothing wrong with Immodium under the appropriate circumstances. I prefer to reserve it for when I'm 99.999999% sure the problem results from stress or eating too many cookies (as opposed to possible bacterial infection, etc.).

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pepcid screwed up the works when they made the Pepcid Complete. Before that itwas just a small tasty mint chewable with no calcium. My special grey vet gave us some for Vin. And they also had the nonchewable. Then they made Pepcid complete, jacked up the price, and made them big wnough to choke a horse. Then they quit making the small chewable :(

So, we just use the non here :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I thought I heard somewhere that you shouldn't give your animals Pepto Bismol because it has some acetaminophen in it?

Not the case. Pepto Bismol contains a salicylate, which is *related* to *aspirin*. Unless you have a dog who is deathly allergic to that -- I have never had one -- it's a waaaaaaaaaay safe thing to give. Much safer and more sensible to give than Immodium IMHO. Pepto coats the gut (rather than slowing the action thereof), so you don't have Immodium's potential of keeping bad bacteria in there. It would also be extremely difficult to overdose a dog on Pepto. The same cannot be said of Immodium -- just ask Finnsliz.

Hope your kids are better soonest, Trish!

P.S. Someone on this board turned me on to the NONchewable Pepto caplets. They work great. No mess, no fuss, just pop 'em down the throat. If I have only the chewables, I crush them well and mix with peanutbutter.

P.P.S. There's nothing wrong with Immodium under the appropriate circumstances. I prefer to reserve it for when I'm 99.999999% sure the problem results from stress or eating too many cookies (as opposed to possible bacterial infection, etc.).

Thanks Batmom, good to know! We usually use generic Pepcid here.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest TriciasZoo
I just went though the same thing with Dee on Friday and Saturday. I gave her Pepto, 1 pill in the morning and one in the evening.

I didn't feed her for 24 hours, then started with bland diet, rice and chicken. I'll do that for a couple of days. She seems to feel better today (so far-crossed fingers).

I was also told not to let her eat grass (which of course she wanted to do all day yesterday) I let her eat it for a liitle while, then made her stop. Everytime she did eat grass then she would throw up again. I hope your guys feel better soon!

Tricia, Where do you get the first adi kits - GEM?

Yep, my first aid kit and EMT gel came from GEM. It's great. And I had to use it as Sammers got a boo-boo, and with the kit I had everything I needed and need to take care of it.:) It was great to reach for the bag and know I had what I need.

Guest TriciasZoo

So far so good today. Stool samples were turned in earlier and were firmer. Well...could't get any more liquid. <_<

Everyone seems good, relaxed, and basically normal. I know I need to check Sammers' leg and see if needs a rebandage or if it can be left open yet. :) Off too that. Nothing big enough to worry about, just big enough to give me a little extra to take care of. :) He is usually Mr. Wimp, whining at ANYTHING, but I'm here cleaning up the boo-boo and wrapping, and he's falling asleep. Goofy boy.

Guest TriciasZoo

Now he's not eating this morning. :( Not even a treat. I'm going to get him into the vet as soon as he can see us. Didn't find anything in the stool sample

sending prayers everything's okay! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest jurishound

Fish ponds can harbor a number of pathogens, including giardia and salmonella. I think it would be best to get them to the e-vet ASAP.

Edited by jurishound

Guest VelvetEars

Poor guy. Sometimes Jackson will do that, though, where he's just feeling off for a day or two. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

Guest TriciasZoo

The girls are fine. Sammers is still liquid, but he's drinking plenty, but only ate a teeny bit last night, and nothing today so far. He'll be at the vet first thing in the morning.

Guest TriciasZoo

OK, I'm feeling like a bad mommy. I know there's nothing I could have really done to prevent it, but Sammers had a "massive" infestation of hookworms. *sigh* He's been treated and the vet is keeping him overnight to keep an eye on him. So while it's relatively minor and THANKFULLY treatable easily, I still feel awful for my poor guy. We're going to treat the girls as well. Just to be on the safe side. So I'm relieved, yet kind of mad at myself for not even noticing. But honestly when I cleaned up after him, I did NOT see any worms, just very very dark liquid poo. :( Good news though, he'll be on the mend soon, and we'll get the weight put back on him in no time. :)

Sam, ya gotta stop giving mommy these scares. First your limp, then the odd growth on your leg, now this. Geesh, boy. I love you though. You're my bestest buddy, and the greatest snuggler. Be good for Dr. B.