Hi From Alabama-finally Getting Around To An Introduction.

Greetings Everybody!

I've made a few posts but thought that before I made anymore I should introduce myself and more importantly my hounds. My name is Judy and I live in Ozark, AL (lower Southeast area of Alabama) with my two greyhounds Nadir (AMF Adam) and Beanie (BB's Beans) and American Bulldog Bruiser. I had always wanted a sighthound and had in the past looked into getting a Chart Polsi, Saluki, or Azawakh, which would have meant getting a dog from many, many miles away since there were no breeders in my area, however fate, or should I say Google intervened, and I found that there was a Greyhound adoption group within a few hours of where I live. I went to my first Meet & Greet held by Emerald Coast GPA back in January of 2005 with a preconceived notion of what I wanted in a Greyhound. I hate to admit it but I was stuck on color, I was looking for a gorgeous fawn or pretty little parti-colored dog. To my amazement there was a parti-colored female there and I was like yes, yes, that's the one I want. I had to wait on the approval and home visit though and was told later that the greyhound I had seen was already spoken for and they had another Greyhound in mind, a black one that they thought would be a good choice. My first thought was hmmmm….black…boring, not exactly what I was looking for. Fast forward to my home visit and my first intoduction to AMF Adam and the most beautiful dog I had ever laid eyes on, then I knelt down to his face and he gave me the sweetest greyhound kiss and it was all over for me from that moment on . I kept thinking while they were doing my home visit, please, please, please approve me, I want this dog so bad. Oh what a happy day it was for me when they called to tell me I had been approved for adoption. Adam was officially adopted in February of that year and I changed his named to Nadir. Soon after adopting I talked to Emerald Coast GPA about doing M&G's in Dothan, AL close to where I live. After getting the okay from the PetsMart there and with the help of other GPAEC volunteers to help me out I started holding M&G's there. I also started fostering, which is how I came to have Beanie. Yes, I am proud to say that I too had joined the swelling ranks of those who had failed fostering. When I went to the kennel to pick up a foster I had arrived just as they were putting the dogs back in their crates. There was a lot of excitement from the dogs because I was a new person, but in all the excitement going on with the other dogs, there was this one brindle greyhound, quietly lying in one of the bottom crates trying not to be noticed. In a moment of pure selfishness, I thought I want that one, she'll be an easy foster and off we went. She was such a shy girl to her new enviroment and it took some time to draw her out and make her feel comfortable. In was so enjoyable to see her open up more and more everyday. After bringing her to several M&G's I finally decided that I could not let this little girl go and officially adopted her in February of 2006.

I need not forgot about Bruiser either, although he outweighs and out muscles both greyhounds he is the biggest baby of the bunch and you will invariably find Beanie snuggled up with him on a dog bed somewhere, although there are numerous dog beds around the house.

I love every single day with my dogs, they have brought me so much joy, laughter, and such an overwhelming sense of peace to my life. Bringing them into my home was not a gift I gave to them but the greatest gift they could have given me.

Judy

Welcome, and hello from California! What a great story!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest TBSFlame

Welcome from NC. I remember when first asked what kind of greyhound I wanted I told them a little black female.....of course, I brought home a 90 pound fawn male. lol. It always works like that. They choose you. I did finally get my black females. Star and Memmie.

Welcome from Gainesville, Florida! :ghplaybow

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

:welcome to the group. It sounds like you have two sweet babies, is their pictures???? :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Greyt story. When we adopted we said "any color but black"...who walked in but a gorgeous black girl and as you can tell by my screen name it's the only color we ended up with!!!!

Welcome to GT.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Hi Judy -- Welcome!

I lived in Ozark, Al for 10 years ... where do you live? Tell me more - I haven't been back since .... 1996 (I think it was) ... but hummmm . maybe I should make a visit back again! There are things I miss about being there!

Kay

PS - I suppose you should probably PM me if you're willing to tell me where in Ozark you live!

PSS - I just noticed that you can't PM! (sorry) ... if you want ... e-mail me at

greytdogsks at yahoo dot com (remove the spaces, replace the at with the appropriate symbol and replace the dot with the appropriate symbol)

Edited by greytdogsks
Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Thanks for the warm welcome you all have sent. I'm going to make a feeble attempt at posting pictures, not sure if it will be successful, so wish me luck. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who couldn't get the emoticon in the correct place. So this attempt at pictures may be a wash.

Greyhound_Amf_Adam-_3big.jpg

Nadir

http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/90...Beans-_2big.jpg

Beanie

Judy

greytdogsks, that is pretty neat, that you not only know where a hole in the wall like Ozark, AL is, but that you have also lived there. I live in a subdivision off of Whittle Hudson if that tells you anything. I'll send an email when I have more time.

celticfairiemom, SIGreyLady, and 2hounds, thank you for your sweet comments on my babies.

Judy