Injury, Should I Take Maisy To The Vet?

Guest Maisy4

Guest Maisy4

A few minutes ago, we were playing outside in our backyard, when Maisy misjudged when she should have jumped and ran into a concrete wall. :(

Here's a pic of the wll for reference...

IMG_2380.gif

It looks like an abraision, but she was running pretty fast into it, and her fur was scrapped off in 2 places. You can see one in the pic, and there is an identical scrape on the other side of her neck.

She was scared and shaking right after, but then ran inside. She ate the cheese I gave her and drank, but should I be concerned? Anything I should look out for? Would you take your dog to the vet asap, in the am, or just wait and see?TIA... :)

Picture-157.gif

i would wash that good with soap and water and try a lil neosporin.

Me, too. And keep an eye on her. It sounds good if she is eating cheese, I don't know if she would eat if she were in shock.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Be prepared for some bruising to show in the next day or so, and if it does bruise it will then pool to the lower part of her chest.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would clean it real good and watch for infection. Also watch the neck area make sure their is no swelling, but I don't think a trip to the vet is necessary, unless the neck swells.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest BlackandBrindle
I dont think a trip to the vet is necessary. Keep it clean and watch for infection. I think it will fine

ditto :nod

Me three :)

Spud generally has something looking like that after a big play date with the greyhounds, so we're well used to keeping things clean and using antibiotic ointment.

well, the scrape doesn't look like much, but I would still be concerned about a different kind of neck injury, depending on how she hit the wall. if she seems to have any trouble lifting or lowering her head, or jumping on or off a couch, etc...I would take her in.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Tigonie

Another vote for keep it clean and keep an eye on it. One thing to look out for that no one has said yet is make sue the hole is closing up. If there is any sign that the skin is tearing open, take her in. My bet is that the scrapes will heal up just fine.

Guest Maisy4

I cleaned the wound, and put some neosporin on it. The skin isn't broken, but today it looks pretty gross!

Picture-160.gif

She seems perfectly normal and happy today. This was the first time she got hurt, so it was pretty upsetting for me! Thanks for all of your responses. :-)

Now that I see it posted here, it kind of looks like a vampire bite! LOL!

Guest luckydog

Icing would be good. Put a few ice cubes in a ziplock and wrap the bag in a washcloth and lay it all on the spot for 20 minutes. Icing helps reduce swelling and bruising.