Lumps And Bumps And Limping

Xan

Happy, my sweet pretty 9 year old, adopted in October, came to us with some skin issues, including a weird irregular lump on her sternum. She appears to have corns on both left feet, and limps or holds up her front right leg after any exertion, and limps on the left rear to one extent or another all the time, but more in the last week. (She broke her hock on that side when racing. We've been thinking she overdid and strained/sprained something; no swelling or heat, and flinching is minor and seems to be connected to her outside toe.) She's got a rash that won't go away on her sternum as well, and a couple random little bumps like pimples that come, stay for weeks, then break and go away. She also has a cough whenever you touch her throat, even stroking it lightly.

I took her to one vet who gave her antibiotics and a cortisone shot for the skin stuff, and said he didn't like the look of the lump, but to watch it for now. The skin rash got a little better for a day or two, then flared worse than before. I've been wiping it gently and putting bag balm on it twice a day, which seems to help with the biting/scratching and general inflammation, but is not curing it.

I'm NOT afraid. I'm NOT!! Right? Right. :nod: These are just a sort of old-gal laundry list of symptoms, right? Right. So, she's got an appointment with a new vet tomorrow morning. He's got some specialized background in cancer in dogs, so it seems appropriate in this info-gathering stage. Not that she has cancer. Nope.

When she got here, she was so skinny, her tailbone was a raised ridge above her hips, and you could hide your fingers between her ribs. She's finally found a good appetite, and has gained her weight, but we're not letting her do much, so her nice muscle mass is fading away. Ah well. At least she's got some padding, now.

Here's her lump and rash, which was looking pretty good the day I took this picture. You can see she also has some of that dark stuff in her pores, but that's going away.

DSCF2612.JPG

DSCF2611.JPG

And just a picture of her to help you visualize her happy and well! :wub:

Hap-happybed.jpg

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vahoundlover

OH NO we are NOT even going to go there with the thoughts....nope, not going to happen...she is going to be just fine! :nod HAS to be! :bighug

Sending lots of good thoughts for Happy and a good report tomorrow.

You have many many prayers coming from here and plenty of good thoughts. NOT because there's something wrong...just to ease your mind. She sure doesn't look 9

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thanks, folks.

Looking at those pictures, and the others I went through to choose those, I see she definitely needs a bath! :lol We are, after all, in our 9 month mud season, here. :rolleyes:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Sending prayers even though we are sure you don't need them!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

And just a picture of her to help you visualize her happy and well! :wub:

Hap-happybed.jpg

What a beauty! I see her happy and healthy and with you for many years.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Loca had one of her removed from her face last year and it was a fatty lipoma.

i think it's time for yet anoiher catchy chant, don't you?

Fatty Lipoma

Fatty Lipoma

Fatty Lipoma

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest tricolorhounds

Savannah who also had broken her hock will limp for three reasons... 1. We've done too much. 2. Arthritis and 3. Habit.

We didn't go to Solvang this year, but the year before, she could hardly walk on that leg by Saturday night. Once we got home, she had a couple doses of Rimadyl and was fine.

Hope :hope it's the same for Happy

Guest vahoundlover
Thanks, folks.

Looking at those pictures, and the others I went through to choose those, I see she definitely needs a bath! :lol We are, after all, in our 9 month mud season, here. :rolleyes:

But mud is GOOD for the skin! :lol Really....it is... :P

chanting away....fatty lipoma, fatty lipoma......

Picking up the chant in Indy too.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Well, her appointment is for 11:45 tomorrow. DH might go, as a "patient advocate", which in his mind is to protect her from mad medical god-headedness and voodoo dangerousness. It will be a balancing act of trying to get the info from the doctor, and keeping DH from jumping to the conclusion that the vet is only trying to get money at the expense of experimenting on our dog. :rolleyes: At least he's being involved. That's good. His memory is better than mine, too, so he'll be better at remembering what's said. Besides, he has more money in his checking account than I do, so that's handy. ;)

Keep chanting!! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest LazyBones

that lump looks very similar to the lump pokey had. coincidentally, hers was also on her sternum. the vet told me it looked to be just a fatty tumor, and wasn't too concerned about it unless it were to grow. it did grow a little, but not enough to cause concern.

fingers crossed that happy's growth is the same thing. :)

Guest argolola

I have Happy on my prayer list that all is just fine. Please let us know when you get the good news.

She sure is a pretty girl.