Molly Has A Lump Behind Lower Jaw

Guest FreddyGirl

Guest FreddyGirl

This evening, I felt a lump about 2 inches behind her lower jaw on the left side. It feels like what in us could be swollen glands. For the last week, she has not been excited about breakfast but has not missed any meals. Yesterday, she cried all day long, somewhat unusual. She is sometimes very verbal with the crying, especially when I am getting read to leave for work in the morning. I am calling the vet in the AM to get in tomorrow afternoon. Any thoughts as to what this might be? Swollen glands, enlarged tonsil perhaps? I pray to God it is not the big C. Any feedback would be greatle appreciated.

Sunday, 5:30 PM:

Molly came home today from the vet. She is doing much better, swelling almost entirely gone. Still draining a little. She came home ate and has been sleeping ever since 3PM. Antibiotics 2x/day for 7 days and hot presses with wound cleanser 2x/day as well. Here is a picture of the wound after the infected whatever burst. It fortunately looks worse than I think it is. No sensitivity to the touch when bathing.

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

She was really happy to see me, almost laughing, something I've never seen her do! I think she'll be down for the count for the rest of the evening. Thank you for all your good wishes.

Nancy

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest greyvettech

It could be her submandibular lymph node...usually if one is enlarged the other is as well....The lymph node is located just in back of the jaw but a little higher...I would take a trip to the vet if you're not sure...

Sending prayers for Molly. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Could be abscessed tooth. Good idea for vet to see. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

I am going to guess an enlarged lymph node. If it is only on one side, it could be from something relatively minor like an infected tooth (localized infection). If both cervical lymph nodes or multiple body lymph nodes are affected then I would think a systemic infection, or the big C.

Hopefully it is something minor and easily treatable! :)

Guest FreddyGirl

Great news from the vet. It was not the lymph nodes or the teeth. No fever, all lymph nodes in good shape. It appears to be an allergice reaction to a possible spider bite, or from eating a bee. She said that she has seen this before in dogs. Just a shot of Benadryl and a few Benadryl tablets and I call in tomorrow PM to see how swelling is doing.

Thank GOD! Let me know how the swelling is. Always something...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh thank God! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I just discovered exactly the same thing on Rainey :( :( Hers is about the size of a marble. I'm bringing her in tomorrow. :(

glad your pup is fine!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest shelbygirl07

glad everything is fine.

I lived next door to a golden retriever who ate bees out of the air. He didnt make it after he found and attacked a hornet nest. I didnt witness the attack but my brother did. It was sad. Not too swift for the dog :(

Guest FreddyGirl

Doing great Susan. Swelling on the right is gone today. Swelling on left changed shape a little bit and appears somewhat smaller. Spoke with vet tonight. If swelling persisits on Saturday, she's sending me a script for prednisone. Stay tuned!

Nancy and Molly

Great news!! :yay:confetti:yay Hope all the swelling is gone quickly. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I know that she needed to go to the vet today since the lump was now bigger than a golf ball, waiting for update...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FreddyGirl

Well, all is not as expected. The vet had indicated that if the swelling did not subside by Saturday AM, that I call and she would prescribe cortisone. Friday at noon, the lump enlarged to the size of an egg and was now located hanging below her jaw. I called vet to expedite receiving the prescription, but she was not in. Called first thing this morning, Saturday to speak with vet. Lump now the size of a golfball. Got appt for 1:40. Called back to request an earlier appt if a cancellation happened. New appt set for 11:40. Arrived punctually, after 30 seconds of waiting, Molly stepped away from me and blood spewed all over the floor. Needless to say, my heart was in my throat. Vet immediately took Molly to back. After 5 minute or so, she came back to tell me that it was a hematoma (spelling?), and that it had burst. No kidding. Of course, there is a hole in the skin. Molly has a fever, put her on IV fluids and antibiotics and sedated her as they couldn't even touch the area. I heard her scream in the waiting room. They are keeping her overnight. It is now 3:30PM, she is resting comfortably, still on IV fluids, due to the sedation and antibiotics. The vet tech is frequently cleaning and bathing the area. I call tomorrow at 1 to see when I can bring my baby home.

The vet asked if one of the other dogs could have bitten her. I said doubtfully but I can't be for sure no. I asked if she saw teeth marks, none visible. Theory is still that a spider or a bee (are bees around at this time of year) and the bite got infected. So, it wasn't just an allergic reaction. 4 days of being on Benadryl consequently didn't do anything.

This was pretty scary. One minute she's standing there and the next blood is flying all over the floor. Thank God this happened while in the vet's waiting room. If I had to keep the later appt it would have happened at home and it would have been a 30 minute drive to get to the vet. Could even have been worse. If plans had gone through, I would have been with Robin M et. all in the Poconos, 2.5 hours, without the monsoon rains we're having, from home.

So, now I wait until tomorrow to see Ms. Molly. She never once complained until this morning when I touched the area and she cried once and didn't eat, not even biscuits. She's a tough little girl.

Send white light for a restful, painfree night and a speedy recovery. She will come home with a hole in the skin under her chin.

Relieved, yet still worried,

Nancy, Freddy and Bobbi

We're pulling for you Molly!

What luck that it happened in the vet's office. If it had happened at home or in the car while you were driving her to the vet it would have been even a bigger nightmare. I hope it was simply a bee sting that got infected, that would be the best news!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014