Arthritis Meds

Sebau is 13 now, and is getting stiffer and having a bit more trouble getting around. So far, we've tried metacam, deramaxx and rimadyl. The only one that seemed to make much difference was rimadyl, but after a couple days, she'll stop eating, so that just isn't a good option. (and she's a major PIG... girlie LOOVES her food) Her Lyme isn't flaring up (her titer is fine), so it's just age creeping up on her. :(

What other options are there? When she's been having a bad day, I've been giving her one of my tramadols (standard generic tramadol, 50 mg) and it seems to give her some relief. Usually then after a couple hours she feels ornery enough to get into something or really boss the boys around! :lol

And I still haven't found a vet I like. A couple local ones now think I'm cuckoo for doing so much for a geriatric dog's arthritis, and think that a titer for Lyme was nuts. :blink: (I live in a rural area... in some ways very "well, she's old. What do you expect? Let her sleep, give her a warm spot, she's fine" )

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

You can go the homeopathic route and not have to worry about how her liver will or won't do with it, it;s all natural.

Try the traumeel pills 1 tab 2-3 x a day. Put in yogert or icecream ,peanut butter etc. The idea is for them NOT to bite and swallow, but to lick.

You can also use the traumeel gel for massage to help her. And of course she should be on glucosomine for her joints.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Were you giving any tummy meds with the rimadyl? If it helped her and she otherwise tolerated it, might be worth trying again and keeping a close eye out for any further side effects.

Might also be worth trying Adequan injections, if there are particular joints that bother her.

But, if Tramadol works for her, no harm in giving that. I don't have experience with it so don't know if you can give it long term without it losing its efficacy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My 12yr old was a Von Willebrands boy and had bone spurs and arthritis pretty bad. Because of the VW, he couldn't take an anti-inflammatory so we only had Tramadol.He was having acupuncture and the vet told me that it was safe to give him 2 Tramadol, twice a day. Plus using the Traumeel gel really helped him stay almost pain free until he passed away 7 months ago.The bone spurs got just too painful for him. I hope you find the right combination to keep her comfortable.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have found that both Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime, Inc. really improved the quality of life for my seniors. This is one supplement definitely worth it!! Dancer did fine until the last two weeks when her read end just gave old. And to look at JD our 15 year old 'Tzu, you would never know he was that old.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Fish oil (Omega 3 EFA)is a natural anti-inflammatory which is recommended for joint problems. You can go up to 1000 mg (that's typically one capsule) per 10 lbs of dog's body weight. I wouldn't use this as the only treatment, especially with the amount of pain she is having, but along with whatever other medication you end up using.

Not sure if you've already checked out this website, but they have useful information about many things: http://dogaware.com/arthritis.html

Both acupuncture and chiro. adjustments will also help a great deal.

You can search here to find a Act./Chiro. Vet near you.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Keep trying--my vet always stresses there are lots of good pain relief options, it might just take a bit to find the right one.

What's worked here is a maximum does of cosequine, and 200 mg. of tramadal a day (in 2 doses), dropped down to 150 a day during good whether. My vet also says exercise helps--not the sprinting they naturally like but 2 30 minute walks a day if at possible. So far, no problems with this routine after 4 years of Cosequine and a year of Tramadal.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

She already gets glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil (and has for years-- I DO think it has helped keep her mobile). I did give her stuff for her stomach when she took the rimadyl, but it didn't seem to help. She's taken it before years ago, but had never needed it for more than a couple days after an injury, and I guess also being younger, it didn't do this to her.

Sometimes where I am feels like being in some podunk backwater.... the closest vet chiro/acupuncturist in MD is about 2 hours away-- if 95 and 495 have no traffic issues. There are LOTS in the DC area, but none up here (not really surprised though: I live in a place where most animals are lucky to even see a vet or live in a house. In general the attitude toward animals is totally different.)

In vino veritas

She already gets glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil

But which glucosamine/chondoitin? It does make a difference. Fresh Factors and Joint Health use bovine chondroitin which is the best. In all the dogs I've used them in, every one did very good until close to the end when we had to add pred. MSM (which is in Joint Health) is a very good supplement. Also, it does matter which MSM. WalMart brand and Rexall do NOT work. I get MSM capules from the health food store if I am not using Joint Health.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I usually stop at GNC on the way home from work to pick up the gluco/chondroitin/msm. (the MSM is separate, the gluco/chondroitin is a combo.) I also give it to the boys, I figure they're 8 now, and had racing careers (and D's got the nastiest twisted gnarly feet-- they don't seem to bother him, but they look awful. My old vet who retired also thought they looked awful and recommended glucosamine/chondroitin, but since he doesn't even seem to notice, he didn't need NSAIDS, though he may as he ages)

I also try to keep her weight down (not easy-- one of her nicknames is Piggylina!! :lol ) to reduce stress on her joints and keep her walking/moving. My old vet said that keeping her in shape was one of the best things I could do as she ages. She still loves her walks!

Her main problem happens to be when there are big weather changes, she seems to get really stiff and sore, and of course when she first wakes up in the morning.

I wish they didn't grow old so quickly. It's just not fair. :( It seems like just yesterday that she was a young pup.

In vino veritas