Alex, It'll Be Five Years On

MrAlexTheDog

february 21st of this year will be mark five years since our first greyhound, alex, went on his way. we got him in 1993 at the age of four from the group that would later be known as the greyhound adoption center in la mesa. we had just bought a house, and we wanted to add a dog to our family. we didn't know what breed, although we didn't want a small one.

i was reading the newspaper and saw an article profiling a woman and her retired greyhound. they were appearing with other greyhounds and their adopters at a local pet store, so we went, met them, and applied to adopt a greyhound. within a month's time, we were interviewed, had the home visit, and were approved.

we drove down to la mesa and were presented with three greys whose kennel names were "amadeus", "tehama", and "philbert". we were presented with amadeus first, a black-ticked white greyhound with a thick black eyebrow over each eye and with the tips bitten off of both ears. (he was called "groucho" by the volunteers, and it was so appropriate.) after we saw tehama and philbert, we were trying to decide who to pick. while we were deciding, amadeus demonstrated to us that he could pee a river, and then walked over and leaned against us. well, that sold us (the leaning part, not the peeing part) and rachel wanted him so we asked for him.

on the way home gayle sat in the backseat of our car cradling him; amadeus proceeded to gas all of us in return.

our daughter rachel named him "alex".

we had separation anxiety issues with him -- nearly returned him but with help from tom mcrorie we worked out a routine that he was comfortable with whenever we left. we got him nikki to keep him company:

X-mas98.jpg

he had skin allergies on all of his feet -- his toes nearly lost all of his white hair but gradually grew back as he got older. he had more than his fair share of cancer; the most serious was an amelanotic malignant melanoma that gayle found between his lower incisors, kept an eye on it, and had it examined when she saw it starting to grow. he lost part of his lower jaw because of it but the cancer never returned. finally, he developed a tumor on his spleen that we elected not to have surgically removed because of his advanced age. it ruptured when he jumped off our bed to greet gayle when she returned from a business trip. we had it removed but complications arose, and we had to let him go.

he wasn't the friendliest of greyhounds -- that wasn't him. but he could fall asleep anywhere: at the vet's office while waiting to see the vet, in a ski gondola car at aspen mountain in colorado. he was blase about everything, but once he got so excited watching other greyhounds chase after a lure, his mangled ears stood straight up. every bed, be it human or dog, was his. and the fur on his neck was so thick and soft -- i can't help but compare every other greyhound's fur to his and i don't think anyone has come close.

he was with us for almost ten years, but ten years could never seem long enough. we keep his favorite white teddy bear, still wearing his red leash and collar, his leather collar bearing his tags, atop a bookcase and close at hand.

when autumn comes, when the leaves on the trees begin to wither and fall, when even in southern california the air begins to chill for the winter that is to come, when sirius the dog star, the whitest and brightest of stars, rises above the southeast horizon and climbs up into the early evening sky, i think of him even more often than i already do. i like to think he's watching us from there, and that he's doing okay.

alex (1989-2003), the one who started it all:

246855671_mjMzk-M.jpg

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Alex lives on forever in your hearts until you meet again. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BlackandBrindle

That is a wonderful tribute to a very special pup. I'm sure he is watching over you and is glad that you've continued the legacy he started.

Oh, Steve. :grouphug I remember Alex and how striking he was. I will always remember him as Groucho.....with those thick black eyebrows. What a wonderful boy he was. Hugs to you, Gayle and Rachel.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest guinness_the_greyt

What a handsome hound!! :grouphug And you're right.... ten years is never enough.... if we could have them with us a hundred years that still wouldn't be enough time!

:candle His candle shines brightly to show you he is ok.:candle:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest rsqdogsmom

What a lovely tribute; I feel like I would recognise him anywhere. B)

How lucky he was to have such a great family.

How blessed you were to have him for as long as you did.