Update On Otis Update #19

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

So Otis has been going down hill with incontinence and accidents in the house. I went to a very respected Greyhound Vet to find out some answers. ...he is a bit away from where I live and that is why I dont gothere routinely. I took my records from my old Vet for him to look at. He thoroughly reviewed all the records....and performed new lab tests on Saturday.

He called me this a.m. with the results. Otis is hypothyroid and his lab tests from 6 months ago showed this. Nothing to do with Urinary problems, but the Vet thinks he will feel better once on some meds. I was never told Otis was Hypothyroid by my old Vet.

Also, Otis had two blood panels done at my old Vet, 6 months ago and 3 months ago...each one showed increasingly higher White Blood Counts.....and Saturdays WBC came back over 12,000. I was never told he had a high WBC from the old Vet..

The new Vet is starting Otis on antibiotics today. Otis has also lost 8 pounds in about one month. The Vet does not think its cancer at this point.

I feel so bad for Otis. AND I feel like I have failed him. Here I thought I was getting him the attention he needed and I wasnt.

I have spent significant money getting him what I thought was appropriate care and it wasnt.

Please hope that these antibiotics help Otis....please say some prayers. He is looking pretty down today.

Does anyone know if a WBC over 12,000 is awful....like where that is on the scale of high WBC'S?

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Please, please don't be so hard on yourself. You have been doing the very best you could for Otis, and the difference in interpretation by the two vets may not be so great, really.

There are others on this board with much more familiarity with greyhound values than I, but take a look at the greyhound blood values pinned in "greyt information"; especially about thyroid values. Here is a quote;

"T4

Greyhound: .5-3.6 (mean 1.47+/- .63)

Other dogs: 1.52-3.60

These figures are from a University of Florida study of thyroid function in 221 greyhounds — 97 racers, 99 broods, and 25 studs — so it included both racers and “retired.†While greyhound thyroid levels are a whole chapter unto themselves, a good rule of thumb is that greyhound T4s run about half that of other breeds."

For thyroid values, greys are often misdiagnosed as hypothyroid. There is a special lab and a special vet with expertise in this area; my Polly was thought to be hypothyroid because of low values and her bald thighs, but the special lab said she was just fine for a greyhound, and I know that she is.

The WBC count seems to me to require a titre for tick borne disease -- and there is also a special lab for that. Your vet can draw the blood and send it off for you. I don't think the antibiotics will affect the results of the titres if done within a few days of beginning the antibiotic therapy.

Here are the special labs:

For TBD: we used Protatek Reference Laboratories,

Dr. Cynthia J. Holland

ProtaTek Reference Laboratory

574 East Alamo Street, Suite 90

Chandler, AZ 85225

Tel: (602) 545-8499 Fax: (602) 545-8409

and here is their web site: http://www.protatek.com/

I just think that the slowly rising WBC count suggests a TBD taking increasing hold ...

I have to look for the thyroid lab -- I think it was in Michigan --

Yes! http://animalhealth.msu.edu/

They are THE lab for tests and interpretation of greyhound thyroid values.

Feel better, sweet Oatie!

Edited by Booker_Aye

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest WarmheartedPups

The Vet I am going to is highly respected and knowledgable in the treatment of Greyhounds. He has seen thousands of Greys over the years. So I trust that I am getting the right information from him.

I just dont know what the High WBC level like that means. I should have asked...I know. :blink:

Oh dear, poor sweet Otis! It might be good to fax or call in those values from Booker's Mom to your new vet, just to be sure he has them, and I will hold Otis in my thoughts and prayers.

:grouphug:candle

Hugs,

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Why not call the vet to ask your question now? I am sure he would not mind explaining.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

12000 isn't out of sight for a WBC -- not deathly ill etc. It would indicate that he has an infection going on somewhere.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

ETA, for point of reference: When Joseph went to the e-vet with plastic in his innards, his WBC came back 10,500. Kinda high for a greyhound but again not a "yikes" sort of thing. In addition to infection, the white count can rise some if dog is frightened/nervous, due to kidney issues, and probably half a dozen things I'm forgetting.

Your other vet may not have remarked on earlier reading because 12,000 would be within normal for other breeds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WarmheartedPups
Which antibiotic is he on?

Well he was on Zeniquin which did nothing...now on Ciproflouoxine (sp)which this doc thinks is better.

Do you know about WBC counts?

The Vet I am going to is highly respected and knowledgable in the treatment of Greyhounds. He has seen thousands of Greys over the years. So I trust that I am getting the right information from him.

I just dont know what the High WBC level like that means. I should have asked...I know. :blink:

I'm guessing you're seeing Dr. Barr now. He has great "bedside" manner and is always happy to answer questions. I have often in the past called the office for non-emergency questions, asked for his voicemail and he calls me back within a couple of hours. Otis is in good hands with him. :) I hope Otis feels better fast! :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so bummed. Otis started his Cipro yesterday....had two pills and when I came home from work

he had had explosive diarrhea ALL over the house. It was everywhere. I called the Vet and he said to stop the pills and take some Pepcid and try the pills again this weekend while I am home.

I took one look at my house and just started crying. I cleaned poop for two hours and I CANNOT get the smell out. I am afraid there is more that I just dont see.

Poor Otis. I don't have a lot of faith that he will adjust to the meds when I try again this weekend.....but I will try.

I really thought he was on his way to health. If this antibiotic doesn't work, I sure hope there is another one he can tolerate. But I probably wont know until next week.

Down in the dumps in Minnesota!

:( Poor Otis, and poor momma.

If he had diarrhea that bad on the antibiotic he's on, I would want to change that .....

Just rereading your first post about him losing 8 lbs. in a month. Has he had any change in eating habits? Consistent diarrhea (before today)? That's a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time.

Sending many hugs.

Guest HeatherDemps

Hang in there.... I know how bad the diarrhea is (just had my own carpets cleaned on Friday because of this! :) ). Wish it was warm out for you so you could open the windows.... I hope that Otis tolerates the meds better when you can try again this weekend. Keep us posted how it goes.

Guest WarmheartedPups
:( Poor Otis, and poor momma.

If he had diarrhea that bad on the antibiotic he's on, I would want to change that .....

Just rereading your first post about him losing 8 lbs. in a month. Has he had any change in eating habits? Consistent diarrhea (before today)? That's a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time.

Sending many hugs.

Otis is a great eater...doesn't miss a beat! or a meal or a snack :P I was shocked to hear he had lost that much weight....I knew he was thinner. Never has had diarrhea before today.

Im with you about starting this antibiotic again. I will definately give his tummy a rest and think about it for a few days. I know the doc thinks this is a really good antibiotic and a former culture showed Otis 'bug" was susceptible to Cipro.

I just want him to be well....and it seems like we are just put off for another week...at least.

So stressful.

I think Roo knows he isn't feeling good. Her highness went and layed next to him and put her head on his back. She has never done that.....they do not even sleep close to each other. Cute!!

Edited by WarmheartedPups

:bighug:bighug:bighug:bighug:baloons:getwell:hope:hope I am so sorry. We will be praying for Otis, I know that was hard to clean up, I had blood all over my house to clean up, when my baby Jasmine got jumped. and I used perxide most came out.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Poor Otis and poor you :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Prayers for Otis!!!! Hopefully, the antibiotics will kick in (well minus the big D) and help him. Poor thing. And you are doing what is right by him. Put the previous vet out of your mind. sounds like you are in good hands now!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge