Cali At The Vet

Starting yesterday afternoon Cali had a very loud grumbly tummy. I thought she was just a bit under the weather because she was slow to eat her breakfast. When I got home from work she had some diarrhea and when it was supper time she didn't even want to look at her food! This is not like her at all. She was listless and not interested in anything. Definitely not like her at all. Two times last night she had bouts of diarrhea and I thought it was time for the 24 hours of no food and bland diet drill. :rolleyes:

Then came this morning. After a good night's sleep I let her out and whoosh comes the diarrhea. It didn't look normal but it was a bit too dark still to tell. Half an hour later she wants to go out again and this time I noticed it looked bloody. :eek I went out to the yard and noticed the one from earlier was bloody as well. It was 7 am so I was waiting until the vet opened at 7:30 to see if they could get her in and in the meantime, she was lying on her bed and vomitted up blood! :sick She had 4 more of the diarrheas before we went to the vet.

I've just come back from dropping her off and she's about 10% dehydrated so they're keeping her overnight on IV and doing lots of tests. The vet thinks she might have IBD or it could be the result of a marrow bone I gave her last weekend and bacteria or salmonella or something like that. I don't think she got into anything she wasn't supposed to. Anybody have any ideas?

I sure hope she gets better soon. She's my snuggle pup and I miss her already. :weep

Edited by Bluesky

Vicky and my best boys Vern (Rockin Big Mike) and Wil (Deco Abilene Wil).

Missing my best girl Cali (BOC's Kaylynn) at the Bridge.

So, I just talked to the vet and Cali's liver enzymes, kidneys, electrolytes and blood glucose are OK. He said that her white blood count is high even for a greyhound and indicates some kind of an infection. She had two more vomiting, with clear liquid with a little blood and no more diarrhea - probably because she's empty - and since being hydrated seems a little more interested in what's going on around her. That sounds a little more like my girl. :P

They are prepping her for x-rays to see if there's some kind of blockage and giving her antibiotics but still don't know what's wrong with her.

I'm still worried about her but they are hopeful she can come home tomorrow and we'll have answers soon.

Thank you for all your good thoughts.

Vicky

Guest Winterwish

Sending good thoughts out for Cali! :hope:hope

That's good your having x-rasy doen in case of a blockage,or otherwise.

Just want to mention it could possibly be HGE,which is hemorrhagic gastroenteritis,a name that basically describes the symptoms of what's happening. My greyhound had that once and was very,very sick and weak. It wasn't for long,but it was a scarey couple of days.

He was on flagyl for 7 (or 10 ?) days,and also he had an injection to slow down his gastro-intestinal system.

As far as I know,there's no definitive cause.

The best thing you can do is exactly what you did,which is to bring Cali to the vet. I hope she'son her way to getting better! :hope:hope

Guest vahoundlover
I hope this is a very minor event and that Cali comes home soon...sound as a penny.

Looking for your next posts.

Amen to that. :candle

Add another :hope

Heard from the vet and they were going to xray her this morning. Apparently they had a catheter in her to have barium (?) put in to see if there was anything wrong and the little stinker pulled the i.v. line out and they don't know if there's enough barium in her. I'm to go at 3:30 this afternoon and hopefully pick her up. :hope

They want her to have some kind of special diet but I'm always leery about vet food as there seems to be a lot of fillers in them. There still isn't anything definitive and I'll mention the HGE (thanks Winterwish) to see what they think.

I'll let you all know what's up next.

Vicky & Vern, who misses his sister. :sad1

All fingers, toes, and paws crossed!

After his abdominal surgery, Joseph got Hills I/D canned for two weeks. I have fed it before. Stuff doesn't look that great on paper but it works better than anything I can concoct at home (and I do a fair bit of researching/cooking for the dogs). Eukanuba has a Low Residue vet food that is similar but I haven't fed it; ditto Purina EN. For "disturbed innards" occasions I always use the canned rather than the dry.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope Cali is doing better this evening. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Cali is home! :yay They don't really know what was wrong with her. But are treating for HGE. Her xrays were clear and she's feeling a lot more chipper. She's still sleeping a lot but at least her eyes are more alive looking. I have a hockey sock full of meds and had to make a time table to keep track of them. :rolleyes:

The food I got from the vet is Medi-Cal Gastro Formula cans and so far it seems to be working. We probably won't have a normal stool for a few days but as long as the colour is right I'm not going to worry about it. Good thing it's the weekend because I have to feed her about 4 times a day. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on her - good thing the e-vet is only 5 minutes away - with a maniac mom driving. :ph34r

In case anyone's interested the meds she's on are: sulcrate plus, metronidazole, baytril and famotidine.

Thank you for all your well wishes.

Vicky

Edited by Bluesky

I'm glad to hear that Cali is home! I hope she continues to improve with the meds and new food.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)