Update On Halle

Guest greyhound_mommy

Guest greyhound_mommy

Well it's been a week since Halle's surgery and her "hoo hoo" is doing great. Her back however is not doing as great.

If you remember she did have as we were told, possible back/disc injuries. She climbed out of the concrete run that the vet had indoors and I believe reinjured her back. She couldn't/wouldn't walk for a couple of days. I kept her on Deramaxx 25-50 mg. She would only go pottty right outside the door and come back in, eat and go straight to her crate.

She can get up and down and goes to the back of the property to potty like she used to but she won't run. She still goes and lays down right after coming in. If she is on her side she cannot lift her head. She'll try but it only comes a couple inches off the ground and drops it back quickly. When she gets out of her crate she would always bow/stretch and then shake like she has water all over her.

She will barely stretch/bow now and attempted to shake twice but can't. Her "drunk walk" seems better but she just moves so super slow. The vet told me if I want he'll bring her in for xrays. I'm just wondering if there is a need. If this is disc, there isn't really anything we can do right? I doubt I could ever put her through another surgery because she had so much trouble getting through the anesthesia.

Poor baby.

Poor Halle. :( Back injuries can take a long time. If she seems like she's just experiencing discomfort and is not really in pain, I'd keep her on the meds and give her a few more days. If she doesn't seem to be improving, I'd bring her back for X-rays just to be sure.

Hang in there - it's so hard when our babies are hurting and we want to be sure we're doing right by them. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. :candle:hope

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Guest greyhound_mommy

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. My hubby came home from a week long business trip and Halle stayed out of her crate for about ten minutes!!! :yay This is a huge improvement. We've spent some of the morning keeping her moving hoping to get her stretched out. I know when I hurt my back my doctor said to take it easy but not to baby it too much. She wanted on the bed so bad but just put her front paws up and lay her head down for ear scratches. I'm wondering if her daddy coming home didn't make her feel so much better. :) I'll keep her on her meds and see if we get more improvement. Now that she isn't screaming in pain anymore I'd like to slowly exercise her.

On a side note, HALLE HAS BUTT HAIR!!!!!!!!!! Who knows if it's related or not but my girly has a hairy tussy! I'll have to take some pictures tonight now that she is moving a bit more.

Guest greyhound_mommy

Well apparently Halle is feeling a bit better since she just went to Sam's crate, stole all of his bedding and put in her crate. LOL Sam is so not happy. I think she's perking up a bit. :)

All fingers crossed for your girl.

When our whippet has had neck/back things, takes a couple weeks of limited activity before he is back to himself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am glad to hear she is feeling better! Back injuries do take a long time, and if she has disc problems, she could re-injure herself down the road. Sugar started on this merry-go-round in September :rolleyes: . What has helped keep her from reinjuring her back is acupuncture. I don't know how available it is in your area, but I highly recommend it.

Poor baby. :( I hope she feels better soon, I'll be thinking of you both. :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Poor girl. But the news does sound positive. Little steps forward...I know it is slow, but I hope she keeps getting better and better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown