Please Keep Fingers Crossed For Bubba

I'm running Bubba to the vet this morning.

He has been having ongoing neuro issues with his back end, and has been on prednisone. He is also on something (small oblong blue pill) for his thyroid.

Last night he was pacing and whining a lot - there was a dog howling non-stop outside and we figured it was making him nervous. We finally gave him an acepromazine (sp?) tranquilizer - which has been prescribed for him to get him to calm down - and so we could get to sleep.

He slept through the night, but when he went to get up at 6:30 this morning he stood, whined, and then collapsed back down. If I bend his back paws over, they don't go back to normal, and he has no response if I pinch is back end (hard!)

So we are rushing down to Red Bank as soon as I get my son off to school - please think good thoughts for my boy.

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

UPDATE (45 minutes later):

He is walking a little better, so I am going to hold off on the vet and observe him for a few hours. It may just be a bad reaction to the tranq - so I will wait and see and take him in a bit if necessary - he certainly won't be getting another tranquilizer.

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

UPDATE (45 minutes later):

He is walking a little better, so I am going to hold off on the vet and observe him for a few hours. It may just be a bad reaction to the tranq - so I will wait and see and take him in a bit if necessary - he certainly won't be getting another tranquilizer.

As Diane says, some don't do well on Acetylpromazine. Renie doesn't. They had to keep her overnight after her spay because she just couldn't wake up properly and she was dopey. I gave her one half-dose (to check that was it, as much as anything) for thunder one time and she was a mess for hours. No more ACP for her!

Sending many good thoughts and prayers your way that that's all it is. :hope :hope :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My Daisy was over dopey the one time we gave it to her, but Bubba has taken it in the past with no problems. I guess the other problems he is having are making the ACP a no go. Thanks for the voices of experience.

Sending my many prayers. Please let us know how Bubba does throughout the day. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

He is doing much better. I went home around 11am. He was able to get himself up, and go outside and pee. He's still dopey and wobbly, but much improved. And he managed to get himself up again to come lick out my lunch bowl!

I'll be home again soon - but I think he just needs a bit of time to get the drug out of his system. No more of that med for him, that's for sure!!!!

Phew :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Tenderhearts
Some don't tolerate Ace very well. Depending on how much you gave him, it could be the problem. I've had some dogs not walk for 12-24 hours. I don't use it anymore.

I agree. My vet used Ace when we were trying to get Lori Ann's happy tail healed, and I will never use it again.

Cody was very sensitive to Ace - wouldn't let the vets use it on her after the 1st time! Glad Bubba's improving!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest greydogluvr

Maybe I did not read the thread fully and you may have already explored this option, but I have had great results with acupuncture in this type of situation.

Edited by greydogluvr

I am very Happy that Cody is doing better! :colgate I would never let a vet use Ace on any of mine, They used it on my Champ when he went to get a dental and he never really came to and died 10-days later. They say he had a tumor that burst quickly in his stomach, but he was groggy for 10-days until his death. This broke my heart he had just had a physical and there was no problems, when I ask my other vet to request the paperwork from the vet that did the dental it stated "HE HAD A HARD TIME WAKING UP", THEY HAD TO CARRY HIM TO MY CAR. :weep:weep I kept trying to call the other vet but never got a return call, he collapsed and we rushed him to the emergency vet where he died. :sad1

Please be careful with any vet giving your baby Ace.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter