Henry Is Sick Tonight...

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

If Henry is not better by tomorrow, I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. He has had two bouts of diarhea today, threw up twice, is extra thirsty, peeing more often, and did some panting though I know he was not hot. He is on potassium bromide. It worries me when he throws up cause I I am afraid he is throwing up his seizure med with the food. I also have this horrid fear they are going to tell me the pottassium bromide is not agreeing with his stomach. I really hope that is not the case. We got home from Florida on Friday, maybe it is the climate change? Or is it to late for it to be that? He is passing a lot of gas. The last time he passed this much gas, he had a very bad grand mal seizure. :(

:(

Don't know anything useful about seizures or the meds. Can he safely skip a meal? That might help his innards settle. If he needs to eat to take his meds, maybe a small bland meal? If he continues vomiting, I'd get him to the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

I cant change his food/meds without instructions from the vet. I am getting all the laundry done and cleaning the house just in case he does have a seizure, considering how bad the post-ictal phase was with his last grand mal. Henry is resting comfortably on our bed. Hopefully he gets better now on his own? I did do some googling and fund out that dogs that get tummy upset from potassium bromide can go on sodium bromide. Tha was very re-assuring. Hopefully it gives the same quality of seizure control.

Cody Angelo takes KBR for his seizures. We were instructed to always give pepcid 1/2 hour before his medication. Just a thought. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest EmilyAnne
Cody Angelo takes KBR for his seizures. We were instructed to always give pepcid 1/2 hour before his medication. Just a thought. :grouphug

He'll be fed again at 7:30 am tomorrow morning, befor ethe vet opens. Could I give Henry this pepcid without asking the vet or should I wait and ask?

Oh, EmilyAnne, please give Henry a gentle :grouphug from the hedgegirls and me. I think I'd suggest the vet tomorrow regardless, so you can discuss a possible medication change.

Is Henry wearing his cute jimjams tonight?

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest EmilyAnne
Oh, EmilyAnne, please give Henry a gentle :grouphug from the hedgegirls and me. I think I'd suggest the vet tomorrow regardless, so you can discuss a possible medication change.

Is Henry wearing his cute jimjams tonight?

Jennifer

No jammies tonight. I have heard others say their dogs are more prone to seizures when hot, so I am keeping him a little on the cooler side, just in case it helps. Our bedroom is the toastiest room in the house so he wont get too cold. Henry says thank you for the gentle hug. :) Since I started ths thread, he has not thrown up or had diarhea, so his supper has stayed down. (Hopefully it stays down!) Edited by EmilyAnne

Sometime when my pups travel the 'foreign' water doesn't agree with them and their systems are a little iffy for a few days afterwards. Hopefully that all that's wrong with Henry.

Hope he feels better soon,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest LolasMom

He'll be fed again at 7:30 am tomorrow morning, befor ethe vet opens. Could I give Henry this pepcid without asking the vet or should I wait and ask?

Pepcid shouldn't be a problem. IMHO. Hoping that Henry continues to feel better. :grouphug

Aw, I hope Henry's upset is just related to travel changes and will settle down to normal soon. If he does need to switch to Sodium Bromide, you should find that the seizure control is as good as with Potassium Bromide. I think the dosing is a little different but that would be no big deal.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Seizure meds don't have to be given with food. If he's had BigD and is puking, if is best to skip a meal (still give meds and if you have to give a bit of food that's fine, but not a full meal) to let the stomach settle down.

You can also give a pepcid with seizure meds with no problems.

He's been on KBr for quite some time - the issues you are seeing are likely from travel

I've never been told to give Ryan anything before KBr and he's never had an issue taking his meds without a pepcid.

Run it by the vet as far as the Pepcid. Cody was having a very sick stomach as soon as we started the KBR. Of course it is on a weekend and we can not control the situation. ER vet got him stable and told us to give the Pepcid 30 minutes before the KBR and give the KBR with food. We have had no problems now for 2 years. Before this time he had several episodes of vomiting after the KBR was given. However...I realize every babe is different. Please update us when you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest EmilyAnne
How's Henry doing this morning?

He seems to be all better!!!! :yay I did add hot water to his food last night and this morning. (His kbr is given in his food) I dont know if that helped, but I intend to do that from now on. He made a nice normal hard bowel movement today! :) Best of all, NO SEIZURES!

Edited by EmilyAnne

How's Henry doing this morning?

He seems to be all better!!!! :yay I did some som hot water to his food last night and this morning. (His kbr is given in his food) I dont know if that helped, but I intend to do that from now on. He made a nice normal hard bowel movement today! :) Best of all, NO SEIZURES!

Yay! :colgate

Guest Tenderhearts

Sorry I am just now seeing this, but so glad that Henry is feeling better! :D

Please give that handsome fellow a hug from his #1 fan in Kansas! :grouphug

Glad Henry is feeling better. :confetti

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg