Put To Rest At Home Or Vet?

Guest greyhoundrobbie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:weep

My beloved Allie passed this evening. The tumor had grown in her throat and she was starting to pant a lot. Our vet warned us once that happened, there was no return and she would eventually choke. The vet came to the apartment within two hours of my calling. Our dog walker and sitter also came, so Allie was surrounded by love. She was too uncomfortable to sit so the vet gave her a tranquilizer. Allie placed her head on her favorite teddy bear, one she had for 8 years, and rested on both my wife and me. She went within a couple of minutes. The vet did not rush us, but let us all cry and tell stories. She was telling us that Allie was one of her favorites. They took her on a stretcher wrapped in blankets. I have no regrets doing this at home. For those of you in the Chicago area, the Hyde Park Animal Clinic is staffed with saints. Their compassion throughout Allie's deterioration and at the end has brought me some peace, relatively speaking.

My heart is broken and part of me died with her. I know she is not suffering and just pray greyhound heaven is something more than we could have given her on earth (which I am just not sure is possible). Now I just have to get used to not having my big girl around. Cleaning will be hard and gathering her belongings to donate to the greyhound kennel even harder. I never thought there was a downside to a grey, but not I am just angry I did not get those years with her she was stuck on a track. We will adopt again, but I know we need some time first. Ideally our future, cures for LS, cancer and all the other cruel diseases that take our puppies will be cured.

Thank you for all your support. It really has been helpful for me to know I am in a community of other fanatics who have no problem showing their love for these magnificent pets.

I'm so sorry. There is no easy way to say goodbye but I hope it is a little more comforting for you knowing she was at home surrounded by everything she knew and the people she loved. She's in a good place now, healthy and young again. I hope you find some peace in that.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I'm so sorry :grouphug

What a blessing for you and Allie that she could cross at home, what a WONDERFUL blessing. I have many beloved animal companions already across the Bridge; I'll tell them to welcome Allie and show her around :angelwings . I hope she likes hedgehogs; they'll show her where the :dogcookie are.

Warm hugs and :f_pink ,

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

I am so sorry. Know that your sweet baby girl is running with our Angels at the Bridge...no more sickness...no more pain. My sympathy and prayers. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:candle That final act of love is so very hard. :candle

Godspeed Allie, run with all the angels. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'm so sorry you lost your precious girl. I know you're hurting a lot right now. But the loving way that you arranged her passing was the kindest, most unselfish gift of all. Your love for Allie shows so clearly in your post, and that love will be in your heart forever.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest BlackandBrindle

I am so sorry you lost your sweet girl. :grouphug She was obviously well loved. May you find strength and comfort in your memories of her :grouphug