Another Limping Greyhound

Guest phoenixrizn

Guest phoenixrizn

I'm up at 2 in the morning because my greyhound Heath is having trouble getting comfortable. I haven't posted here in a long time--I've been busy with a 1 year-old skin kid and my three greyhounds and cat. I was always more of a lurker.

I'm not necessarily looking for advice, just sympathy. Please forgive my rambling. I'm just really scared.

Heath is almost 13.5 years old. He's my heart dog. He's the beautiful black dog in my album.

He's had problems with his back for a couple of years now (no firm LS diagnosis; I even had an MRI done--it was inconclusive). He's been getting acupuncture and more recently, Rimadyl in addition to several supplements like glucosamine, MSM, ester-C, etc. He's been deteriorating slowly, but not alarmingly so considering his age.

Christmas week, he started limping in his right front. It got a little better, enough for us to go on short walks (1/4 mile or so--the most I dare since he gets wobbly in the rear end). He loves his walkies, though.

It got really bad last weekend. I got him in to the vet on Tuesday; no problems with his paw. X-rays showed nothing, but they didn't do every possible view. The vet also did a blood workup; everything is normal. The vet prescribed Tramadol, 1-2 50-mg tablets twice a day. One tablet twice a day did nothing; I increased to two. Two tablets twice a day has done nothing. The vet had me increase to two tablets 3x/day today, and advised that I have the other X-ray views done at his acupuncture appointment on Tuesday. The extra tramadol doesn't seem to have helped. He's had trouble getting comfortable, been drinking water like he hasn't had it all day, and has been panting and whining. He just now seems to have settled down, and it's nearly 2:30 a.m. His last dose of tramadol was at about 9 p.m.

I'm scared to death this is cancer. Given his age and his rear-end problems, I don't see him as a candidate for amputation. He's had real trouble hobbling around the yard the last few days. And we're in Massachusetts. And it's winter.

I feel so bad because Heath hasn't had the attention he deserves in the last year. The baby has taken up so much of my time. I used to spend all my free time with the dogs (and my husband, of course), but everything's changed so much with Avery's arrival. Heath hasn't complained, nor have the other two hounds. They all seem to like the baby. I quit working at the end of November (I worked 30 hours/week when I returned from maternity leave in April, then dropped to 20 in September--I felt like I was missing Avery's babyhood). Somehow, quitting work didn't magically give me much "free" time--I don't seem to manage my time well.

Anyway, if you can spare some healing thoughts for Heath--

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking good thoughts for Heath :candle

I think (and you may have already planned this) that you need to chat with the vet again about changing the pain medication or getting another medication added in.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest phoenixrizn

Kidney values were fine on Wednesday.

I've called the vet to ask about pain meds; waiting for the call to be returned.

Heath is lying down, panting again.

So sorry to hear. Prayers and good wishes your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I can certainly relate to what you are feeling!!!! We are dealing with the exact same thing with our nine year old boy Ford. He's been limping on his front right leg for over a month. Blood tests, x-rays, tick panel, show nothing. Deramax caused terrible diarrhea which finally had to be treated with multiple meds which did finally solve that problem, but the limping has not gotten any better and even worse. Now he is on Rimadyl and is going for more x-rays in a few days. He's panting a lot but I know it may be caused by the Rimadyl. I know what you mean about being scared and worried. I hope and pray that both of our babies have something that can be diagnosed and treated. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!!!! Although we need to take into account their age, that doesn't make it any easier!

I hope and pray it's not cancer. But please don't feel guilty about the time spent. Your dogs don't tally it up in a plus minus column. You are in the house with them and you love them. they know that :grouphug . Hoping for the pain relief he needs soon.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest phoenixrizn

Thanks for the good thoughts--the vet upped his Rimadyl forgot to say he was taking it in my first post) to 100 mg 2x/day. He seems to be in less pain. Still limping, but in less pain. Oddly enough, the panting is less.

It is possible that he's torn something, some sort of soft tissue damage or something--that's what I'm hoping. I'll report back on Tuesday.

Can you give him Tramadol and Rimadyl? My vet tells me to give both since they each work with a different type of pain.

Prayers and white light for Heath and his mom.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Two possibilities come to mind. For severe pain, you may need a combination of drugs. Alex was on Rimadyl, Tramadol and Neurotin

for bone pain.

The other possibility is an adverse reaction to the Tramadol. When Morgan had his amputation, he came home on several meds. After a few days he was getting restless (panting and seemed uncomfortable). We increased his meds. He got worse. We added meds. He got worse. I started charting when his medication doses were and when he seemed the worse. I finally realized his worse times were when his medication should have been the highest. I stopped all the pain meds and he settled right down. For him, opiate based meds cause him to pant and pace.

Tramadol was one of them.

Thanks for the good thoughts--the vet upped his Rimadyl forgot to say he was taking it in my first post) to 100 mg 2x/day. He seems to be in less pain. Still limping, but in less pain. Oddly enough, the panting is less.

It is possible that he's torn something, some sort of soft tissue damage or something--that's what I'm hoping. I'll report back on Tuesday.

Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches for Heath. :hope I hope you are able to get a diagnosis the first of the week, that way at least you will know what you are up against. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs
:grouphug I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Heath and you. Hopefully the increased Rimadyl will help and Heath will feel better soon.

Guest phoenixrizn

Heath had a relatively good day today--the extra Rimadyl plus Tramadol seems to have helped. He's still limping, but he's able to get comfortable. No more panting, either.

Guest houndlover

So glad to hear that Heath is having a better day. Please don't beat yourself up over spending more time with your baby and less time with the dogs the past year. The dogs don't see it that way and it is very hard to juggle a young family and all of your other responsibilities (especially if you were working!). I will be thinking and praying for Heath.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phoenixrizn

I haven't posted about Heath in a while because there was no news--we thought he had torn something in his shoulder....I was in wait and see mode.

As it turns out, he has lymphoma. On Friday, he had a needle aspirate of his lymph nodes in his neck, which had swollen to an alarming size since his last visit to the vet. The results came back today.

I go in tomorrow to talk to the doctors about what his options are. He is 13.5 years old.

This is very scary. While I was preparing myself for the possibility, I didn't think it was really the problem. I am in shock.

Pray for him, please.