Quick Question About Administering Amoxicillin Capsules

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Is it ok if I put the capsule in a wad of canned dog food for Henry, or do I need to make sure Henry swallows it whole? We just started the antibiotics tonight, and 7:30 am is medicating and feeding time around here. The vet will not open early enough for me to ask them. Also, is it better to give it a the same time as regular meal and epilepsy meds, or should I give the amoxicillin between meals? Henry does get snacks between meals. Should I give it with the snacks instead?

personal experience only -

as long as the powder inside the capsule gets in his body you are good. We often open up the capsules anyway. I also tend to feed the drugs just after or just before their dinner. Helps me remember to give them the meds if the administration of the drugs fit in my routine. We feed twice a day and the drugs are given twice a day. I do not just drop the pills in the food bowl though. Always as a treat right at meal time. yum, bologna or cheese slices.

Good luck! I hope he's doing ok now. I'm not a mom of an epileptic hound so I hope someone with experience chimes in too.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Wrapping the pills in a bite-sized peanutbutter "sandwich" works well -- the pill(s) stick to the peanutbutter and they will eat it without filtering out the medicine. Cheese works well too, although some meds aren't as effective with dairy.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Almost all of Ryan's pills go in his food dish if they can be taken together. Amox should be fine to give along with KBr and Pb. In the future, when you get new meds from the vet, be sure to ask if they can be given with his seizure meds... some meds will inhibit the absorption of other meds.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I have put them in a wrapped up piece of cheese and also as a last resort in a chunk of hot dog. My 2 boys never caught on to the pill in the cheese, my female caught it on the 3rd day and it was hot dog after that.

Guest EmilyAnne

It's a pretty big pill, so I am putting it in canned dog food. I was worried that if Henry chewed the pill the medicine might not be as effective. So far he has managed to swallow it whole in the canned food. Henry is excellent about taking all of his medicine.

Trudy, when my husband went to pick up the meds, the vets were all gone and only the receptionist was there and she could not answer any questions. (It was later in evening) I am glad to hear amox. does not interfere with Pheno and Kbr! I'd be asking if there was something else he could take if it did considering what we just went through a few days ago.

By the way, Henry is recovering very nicely from his grand mal seizure he had on Sunday morning and is back to his spunky self complete with snow zoomies! :)

Guest Tenderhearts

We use PB for meds here. Lori Ann was on a strong antibiotic (1200 mg) called Primor, and it was a freaking horse pill! She got it down nicely with a glob of PB. :)

I'm mean.... I just put them down the dog's throat. But.... if you put them in cream cheese or whatever, it'll still go down whole. 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Lynn

Guest Ladyluther

Luther will take anything with peanut butter..He's had to take some mighty big ones in the past, and it all goes down nicely with a bt of PB..just don't od on it as it is a bit fatty.

I tilt their head back, open their mouth and drop the pill in

Batman did and Joseph does take any pills this way. Altho I would say I shove as far down as I can get rather than simply "drop" :lol :lol :lol . Those boys just were/are suspicious.

Rocco the Whippet and Zema will eat their pills if you put a blob of peanutbutter on them. You don't even have to cover up the whole pill for those two food fiends, just watch your fingers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I really do think the girls are smarter. My boy Jesse can WATCH me wrap a pill in cheese and still eat it with no problems. My female Kelsey just has to see the pill bottle and she won't take anything I try to give her. And of course she is the most accident prone.