Please Send Good Thoughts For Monty

Guest greytmonty

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytmonty

thanks everyone, no update yet. He is in surgery right now.

The vet IS doing the dental, he had some evidence of early disease and it is better not to have to anesthetize twice.

She was shocked at how much the tumor grew in the last two weeks. she said the incision will be very big in order to get clean margins and that he will have to wear the bite-not collar pretty much whenever we aren't with him for two weeks until the stitches come out.

As soon as I get an update I will let you know. I am waiting til 4 to call as they said to do so.

Guest jettcricket

The vet IS doing the dental, he had some evidence of early disease and it is better not to have to anesthetize twice.

She was shocked at how much the tumor grew in the last two weeks. she said the incision will be very big in order to get clean margins and that he will have to wear the bite-not collar pretty much whenever we aren't with him for two weeks until the stitches come out.

As soon as I get an update I will let you know. I am waiting til 4 to call as they said to do so.

If it is a definite mast cell tumor, they can grow pretty quickly. Monty will be fine.....Jett had same day surgery and by the following morning he was back to his old self. I was surprised at how big Jett's incision was, but he healed up very well.

Edited by jettcricket

Guest greytmonty

If it is a definite mast cell tumor, they can grow pretty quickly. Monty will be fine.....Jett had same day surgery and by the following morning he was back to his old self. I was surprised at how big Jett's incision was, but he healed up very well.

Thanks, I guess we will know what it is when the pathology report comes back. I need to ask how long that takes.

Monty is a young peppy pup so I know he will be fine.

It is just quiet at home. TOO QUIET!

Guest BandiniAndMe

Hi Karen...Bandini and I are hoping for the best for Monty....at least he got to have a good time yesterday at playdate.

Looking forward to seeing you guys soon! :grouphug

Edited by BandiniAndMe

Guest greytmonty

Quick update because MOnty is downstairs and I want to keep an eye on him.

The surgery went very well.

He has a huge incision, about 6" long running vertically. It is seeping a bit and I am told to do compresses tonight.

He is fine but seems very tired and weirded out.

The anesthesia went great and he did need the dental, he had a broken and devitalized tooth which was removed.

Pain med question: she gave him Tramadol. How did your greys do on this? she said ordinarily she would recommend it but with monty and his side effects she wasn't sure if he might have a paradoxical reaction. I would like to give him pain meds as he seems very sore.

Thanks for your good thoughts and prayers.

The biopsy will take about a week.

Limited experience here with Tramadol but it did provide more relief than Rimadyl.

Gentle hugs to Monty.....

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Polli and teddy both take Tramadol(as needed for limp pain) which is a pain killer, not an antiamflammatory. He should be fine on 1 or 2 .50 mg tramadol. Teddy takes 2, I would think Monty would too.

If you have to give Monty a rimydal type of medication, ask your vet for deramaxx instead. Try not to give the other.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jettcricket

....Glad to hear Monty is home and he did well with his surgery. My vet put Jett on Rimadyl for a few days as well as an antibiotic.

I'm sure after a good nights rest he'll be feeling better in the morning. Give your sweetie boy a gentle hug from me.

Katie and Monty both take Tramadol as needed for excruciating pain and it has helped them a lot - with no side effects. I prefer this to the NSAIDs for pain relief. Are you sleeping downstairs with your Monty tonight? Hope he recovers quickly and feels better soon.

Guest LadyChester

Glad to hear the surgery went well. I hope he has a calm, uneventful night. Lady never had problems with tramadol but always had problems after anesthesia. Sometimes it was from an injectable pain reducer they gave as the dog awoke. Fentanyl patches are a problem for many greys, so I'd steer clear fo those for sure.

Two of mine have taken it (Sebau twice post op, and another time for an injury) and both handled it well. It seems to work much better for them for pain than some of the NSAIDS have. The Tramadol made Sebau much more comfortable after her surgery compared to rimadyl.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest greytmonty
Katie and Monty both take Tramadol as needed for excruciating pain and it has helped them a lot - with no side effects. I prefer this to the NSAIDs for pain relief. Are you sleeping downstairs with your Monty tonight? Hope he recovers quickly and feels better soon.

We gave Monty a Rimadyl and two 50 mg tramadol as prescribed. He also is on Amoxicyllin which I fear will make him nauseous.

He is feeling crummy and had no interest in his food, but I put the pills in some canned food and he took them reluctantly. He did walk with DH and peed a few pees. He was sort of wandering around my room crying but now is lying down. We moved his bed to DS's room, which is the warmest in the house. He is tucked in with pj's and a cover on. I think when the Tramadol kicks in he should sleep. If not I will bring him in my room and lie with him on the floor.

Poor Monty. The wound is big and very seepy, and his mouth is also bleeding a little. All normal but I feel bad for him.

Bodie was prescribed tramadol at OSU and at home for several weeks after his surgery. Dr. Couto said it is the pain medication most greys have very few adverse reactions to. Bodie was fine on it and that isn't true of all painkillers. Several years ago Bodie broke his foot and his vet at that time prescribed a painkiller that made Bodie into a hyper lunatic. That was one long night...

Bottom line... Tramadol is probably the first and best painkiller to try. If Monty has a reaction to it, just stop it and try something else.

As I recall, Monty's tumor was on his hip?? You might try a maxipad inside a pair of boxers (turned backward for the tail to come out the fly... :) )to catch the seep. Bodie seeped a lot and I used an Old Navy dog T-shirt with a maxipad in it to catch the seep, but, as I recall, Monty's surgery area is beyond the length of a T-shirt.

Good Luck and so relieved to hear that Monty made it through the surgery just fine!

Guest HappyHarleysMom

My Wag did not do well on Rimadyl, but his cancer was too far gone. Harley is on Deramaxx right now for his episode with the dragging leg from last week, and he is doing fine on it.

My thoughts and prayers for Monty!

Guest greytmonty
:getwell :getwell :getwell:bighug

Thinking of you all! Hurry and get better my handsome boyfriend,--- we have a playdate coming up!

:gh_run:gh_run2:gh_runner !!!

No playdates for Monty for two weeks til the stitches come out, so we will have to have a calm visit!

Monty had a very rough night last night. he was whining and crying on and off. I think his incision really hurts. He was panting and kind of out of it which I am sure was the anesthesia, pain, and Tramadol. '

Today he is just sleeping but he did eat a little breakfast.

I cooked him some rabbit meatballs to get him to take his pills.

edited because I can't think :lol

Edited by greytmonty