Bodie's Last Chemo At Osu - Greyt News!

Guest Bodie

We had a wonderful trip to OSU for our last visit. First of all, I want to report the GREYT NEWS!! Bodie had a chest X-ray and there is no sign that the cancer has spread. The chemo, and your prayers, have done their work! Bodie also had an ultrasound for his heart and his heart is slightly enlarged from the chemo. Therefore, his oncologist, Dr. McMahon recommended he switch to Carboplatin for his chemo instead of the Adriamycin he had been getting. He will need an extra treatment, because of switching, but Dr. McMahon sent that home with us and said our local vet can administer it, in three weeks, as it is much easier to adminster than Adriamycin. Unfortunately, Carboplatin upset Bodie's tummy and he lost his dinner in my car around midnight on our trip home. My car may never be the same, but Bodie seems fine today and ate his morning rice (for the upset tummy) with gusto, and was looking for more.

Bodie also had his usual visit to dermatology and they examined him carefully. His rash made a major turnaround on Wednesday, the day I started his antibiotic. This confused the doctors as they thought the antibiotic should have taken a few days before it started working, but it didn't confuse me. I know it was all those Greytalker prayers, white lights, and warm wishes he received - they surrounded him, protected him, and started that antibiotic working faster. He is well on his way to healing and was sent home with the directive to visit the local dermatologist (local being 1 1/2 hours away) within two weeks. The local derm/vet and OSU will be working together to monitor Bodie. The third biopsy, like the other two, did not show what he has, except that it has been narrowed down to some form of autoimmune disease that will have to be controlled by the trial and error method since they can't come up with an exact diagnosis. In our house we refer to it as Bodie Disease.

Friday was Bodie's big day (and mine, too, it turned out) as he was filmed for an OSU news "package". We met the camera person and reporter at Noon and we went outside where she sat me on a bench, clipped a microphone on me, and did an "interview". Interview?? Yikes!! I thought this mainly was about Bodie and we were just getting some "family shots" of me walking Bodie. Well, I think I managed to sound coherent... at least everyone was kind and said I did fine. Then we went to the back of the veterinary hospital where they took shots of Bodie and I playing together, although he wasn't feeling very playful at the time, running together (Huff...puff... that's me...) and walking together. Then it was inside where we got shots of Bodie getting an exam with the doctor. All of this took over an hour - for a ninety second news story! They will, of course, edit the shots down into the story. This story will be sent to over 80 TV stations all over the country. Eve, the reporter, did tell me that if I know of any other stations that would air the story, she would send a copy there, also, at my request. So if any of you have a connection with your local TV station and can get this story aired, PM me and I will add you on the list to get a copy.

Bodie was whisked away for more exams and Lew and I requested to see the kennels, since we had never been there. They have over 25 dogs that have just come from the track to be spayed and neutered. It was crazy back there. Dr. Couto was running around getting meds for a grey who was being transported somewhere. Another grey was in the process of being adopted. We fell in love with a little, white-haired sweetheart named Libby, who is one of Dr. Couto's favorites. He stopped while rushing by, to tell us that when she came off the transport truck, the first thing she did was give him kisses all over his face. I was ready to take her along with us, but she hadn't been tested for "cat-tolerance". Dr. Couto said he would look for a "volunteer cat" to test her, (this produced the hilarious image, in my mind, of Dr. Couto walking into a room filled with cats, asking for a volunteer, and one raises his paw and says, "Yea, I'll do it - show me the grey you want me to terrorize...) but we weren't able to link back up with him when it was time to go, so we went home without her. I left with the knowledge that they will find her a good home, and with her great big dark eyes, surrounded by eye liner, in that petite little white face, she will have no trouble charming someone else to give her a good home.

And now my question. I spoke with Dr. McMahon about whether cancer was genetic in greys, and she said no one at OSU is currently studying it, but she would be personally interested in knowing whether any of Bodie's siblings contacted cancer. I posted a list of his brothers and sisters here a few weeks ago, but I would like to find a website that specializes in posting grey owners who want to find their dog's siblings. Can anyone give me the URL of such a site?

Bodie received his Survivor Ring from Dr. Marin and was sent home with many well wishes and the directive to come back in three months for follow-up X-rays and exam. I will miss going to OSU. I've gotten to really like Columbus, but I'm glad we don't have to do it every two weeks. This has been an incredible journey since August, when Bodie was diagnosed, but when Dr. McMahon gave me the happy news that Bodie's lungs were clear, I knew it was worth every difficult step.

Edited by Bodie

Guest LittleGreys

That's all wonderful news!! Congrats on the good chest x rays!!

Just wanted to add that we will be headed back to OSU soon for Munchie's recheck. I can be the first leg of the GUR back for you new girl :lol Seriously. I'll check to see if she's still there for ya!

Edited by LittleGreys

That's all wonderful news!! Congrats on the good chest x rays!!

Just wanted to add that we will be headed back to OSU soon for Munchie's recheck. I can be the first leg of the GUR back for you new girl :lol Seriously. I'll check to see if she's still there for ya!

That's if you don't snatch her up for yourself! Libby's a little charmer! I mentioned you had told about your tour of the kennels and everyone remembers Munchie and your other grey, but they forgot your other grey's name (as I did!) They were also impressed by the fact you came all the way from Canada just to go to OSU. Let me know how Libby is doing and sneak her in the car for me!

Munchie is from PA and Carrier from Canada :) (I think I have that right)

I see by the posts that you are right! Well, OSU must have mixed up Carrier, Munchie, and where they came from. They are SO BUSY there, I am not surprised they mix up who comes from where. We bumped into Dr. Couto three different times on Friday and all three times he had people pulling him in all different directions. That man is amazing!

Greyt news, I love happy endings, continued paryers for Bodie's good health, I have one more chemo tretment the week before Christmas w/my Sara, sounds like OSU is a wonderful place.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

:yay:yay Love happy endings! I also want to thank you for writing about your whole experience in such detail. I've not had to got through this, and hope I never do, but unfortuneately, the more greys one has, the greater the odds of meeting this monster of :angry: . The more knowledge one has, the better able to cope, I think.

That's incredible news. I'm so happy. Glad that Lilly got you your Survivor Ring. I only have a few more left here and I don't know if I can get more. Pray I can, because Hope for Hounds will send one to any greyhound that is surviving cancer. I think it's an important step in their recovery especially for their family. You aren't alone!

I do have about 10 more, so if anyone reading this knows of a greyhound that is surviving cancer, send me a PM.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I am so happy for Bodie's great news! I would love to see the TV show, will they let you know when/where it airs????? :colgate

Well, its not really a show - just one of those 90 second clips news stations use when it's a slow day. Hey, but Bodie's a star no matter how long it is!

That's incredible news. I'm so happy. Glad that Lilly got you your Survivor Ring. I only have a few more left here and I don't know if I can get more. Pray I can, because Hope for Hounds will send one to any greyhound that is surviving cancer. I think it's an important step in their recovery especially for their family. You aren't alone!

I do have about 10 more, so if anyone reading this knows of a greyhound that is surviving cancer, send me a PM.

It is a wonderful thing that you are doing - providing those survivor rings. When I first saw the ring clipped to his collar, I got a lump in my throat, because I realized, yes, he IS a survivor! Thank you so much. It means so much to me and my family.

Guest snowberry

So pleased he's getting better - and of course he's a star, we all knew that :lol If ever there's a chance to post his film clip online, please let us know. I'm in the UK, and won't get to see it here :(